White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 10:59 AM)
That's like saying your friend covered the table's bill at Chili's, so he definitely would do the same at Gibson's. The Sox spending $50 million on a very young international FA isn't all that comparable to a veteran FA who will cost $300+ million.

You’re right, the amateur signing is far riskier and much more surprising.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 05:16 PM)
Machado himself is unprecedented, you could sign him 10yr/320m and he would be 36 at the end of the deal. Pay him more the first few seasons when we have no payroll and offer him an opt out after 6 years. If the price is something like Anderson/Lopez/Fulmer/Dunning and you can get him to sign, you do it.

That's far too much to give up for technically one year of him. I do like that package of prospects though to try and obtain a special player.

Even with extension, highest I would go would be...

Anderson, Fulmer, Cease and Sheets.

Based on Stanton's return I'd probably end up actually offering Avi, Fulmer, Dunning if we could convince Machado to man third.

He's coming with a massive literal price tag.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 11:16 AM)
Machado himself is unprecedented, you could sign him 10yr/320m and he would be 36 at the end of the deal. Pay him more the first few seasons when we have no payroll and offer him an opt out after 6 years. If the price is something like Anderson/Lopez/Fulmer/Dunning and you can get him to sign, you do it.

I would absolutely not do that^

Why surrender 4 young players to sign a guy you can go after in free agency anyway next year?

QUOTE (Quin @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 11:27 AM)

Based on Stanton's return I'd probably end up actually offering Avi, Fulmer, Dunning if we could convince Machado to man third.

Even that seems like backing up the truck^

We finally have started to build a solid farm system and we would turn around to gut that so quickly? I just do not see something like this happening

QUOTE (Quin @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 11:27 AM)

The first offer is way too much IMO. If you’re willing to give up that much, might as well go after Yelich even if the cost is a little more.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 10:11 AM)
You’re right, the amateur signing is far riskier and much more surprising.

How can it be riskier if it's for significantly less money? Free agents fail all the time. The Adam Dunn signing wasn't risky either, was it? At least the young guy won't screw up your major league win/loss record if he craps out.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 11:53 AM)
The first offer is way too much IMO. If you’re willing to give up that much, might as well go after Yelich even if the cost is a little more.

Agreed^

Some of these packages are way too much for a player with one year of control remaining, even in light of a possible extension.

Players like Dunning and Cease have very real trade value, and guys like Fulmer/Anderson/Sheets should not be seen as players we can easily cast away.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)
Agreed^

Some of these packages are way too much for a player with one year of control remaining, even in light of a possible extension.

Players like Dunning and Cease have very real trade value, and guys like Fulmer/Anderson/Sheets should not be seen as players we can easily cast away.

Like I said, it'd be my absolute max offer. Wouldn't be comfortable with it, but if Hahn though Machado was the lynchpin to getting a ring, I could stomach it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
How can it be riskier if it's for significantly less money? Free agents fail all the time. The Adam Dunn signing wasn't risky either, was it? At least the young guy won't screw up your major league win/loss record if he craps out.

The young guy has zero at-bats in the majors, while the veteran player is a proven superstar. $50M for a guy who has never accomplished anything is a huge risk. Sure, anything can happen, but risk is all about realizing a certain rate of return not about the absolute dollar amount of the investment. Robert has significantly more bust potential even if the downside risk is larger for Machado from a magnitude perspective.

Been thinking that if you really want to dream big about possible title contender in a few years, you could trade for Yelich now and then go after Machado next offseason. I wouldn't hesitate to see a package like Hansen, Cease and Rutherford for Yelich. Just to dream big, your 2019 lineup could be:

- Yelich

- Moncada

- Machado

- Abreu

- Jimenez

- Garcia

- Castillo

- Delmonico

- Anderson

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 12:10 PM)
Been thinking that if you really want to dream big about possible title contender in a few years, you could trade for Yelich now and then go after Machado next offseason. I wouldn't hesitate to see a package like Hansen, Cease and Rutherford for Yelich. Just to dream big, your 2019 lineup could be:

- Yelich

- Moncada

- Machado

- Abreu

- Jimenez

- Garcia

- Castillo

- Delmonico

- Anderson

I like the aggressiveness, but it's too soon for the Sox to blow up the rebuild like that^

I agree with Hahn that we will have a much better idea how good our prospects are in nine months and can better assess organizational needs. That could be a package we really regret parting with if Hansen continues do build on a strong 2017, Cease improves his command of his already strong stuff and if Rutherford bounces back to show the tools scouts really liked making him a first round draft pick.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 05:16 PM)
I like the aggressiveness, but it's too soon for the Sox to blow up the rebuild like that^

I agree with Hahn that we will have a much better idea how good our prospects are in nine months and can better assess organizational needs. That could be a package we really regret parting with if Hansen continues do build on a strong 2017, Cease improves his command of his already strong stuff and if Rutherford bounces back to show the tools scouts really liked making him a first round draft pick.

Or you are getting good value before Cease loses any chance to be considered a starter and Rutherford loses trade value if he continues his hitting struggles. Also don't know how Marlins feel about Blake as they have some former Yanks executives over there now

To me, the Sox have four untouchable prospects at the moment in Jimenez, Kopech, Robert, & Hansen. After that, I’m open to exploring deals as long as I’m not completely exhausting my prospect depth. I still think it’s a year too early to cash in on our prospects though unless a deal is simply too good to pass up.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 12:18 PM)
Or you are getting good value before Cease loses any chance to be considered a starter and Rutherford loses trade value if he continues his hitting struggles. Also don't know how Marlins feel about Blake as they have some former Yanks executives over there now

The problem is the Sox just acquired these guys, they most certainly think they’re candidates to improve their value rather than regress.

I don't think the Sox organization would feel comfortable dealing away that much potential without giving it more time. Hansen very well has put himself into the conversation for being a top 50 overall prospect, Cease had a quality 2017 overall and could really shoot up rankings with a quality 2018. Rutherford could go either way, but the upside still exists that I would not deal him as a third piece in a deal.

Even IF we magically acquired Machado and Yelich the White Sox would still not be a 2018 contender with our pitching staff. I would let prospects develop further and evaluate a potential deal like this next offseason.

Given how expensive relief pitching is, 6+ seasons of control on a guy with two plus pitches and a good arm is still very valuable in the pen^