White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 01:34 AM)
Why in the world would the Orioles want Rutherford for Machado? Am I missing something here? If this type of trade is available, why doesn't Hahn send Kevan Smith to Washington for Harper?

Exactly why none of this makes sense and why there better be an extension included because cost is going to be severe

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 07:33 PM)
Give him a taste of your organization for the first four months of the seasons. Try to convince him to sign an extension during that timeframe. If not, trade him at the deadline for what should be similar value but express the fact you’re going to do everything in your power to bring him back. To Rick’s point, sometimes you need to take a risk. If we’re prepared to offer as much as anyone else, getting him familiar with our team could be the diffence between him picking us and a team like the Yankees or Phillies.

Except the risk in this scenario is significant with a very real chance of just pissing away assets. If the Orioles agree to trade Manny in December it's going to cost very significant assets, not lesser prospects that we see as expendable all for the opportunity to hope Manny does the Sox a solid and limits his future earnings 2 months away from free agency because he really likes "Sox culture". It's in no way a risk worth taking.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 07:37 PM)
Except the risk in this scenario is significant with a very real chance of just pissing away assets. If the Orioles agree to trade Manny in December it's going to cost very significant assets, not lesser prospects that we see as expendable all for the opportunity to hope Manny does the Sox a solid and limits his future earnings 2 months away from free agency because he really likes "Sox culture". It's in no way a risk worth taking.

And if Manny has a down 1st half or something its a huge loss. If they gave up anyone in our top 15 I'd be pissed at this point

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 08:37 PM)

Agreed. Also his agent is Boras he almost always convinces his clients to take the highest offer.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 07:37 PM)

I’m probably Charlie Brown trying to kick the football, but I just don’t think they will be that stupid. Meaning, I believe they “explore” the market, but I don’t think this gets done at all. Like sub 1%. But I’m not shocked they inquired.

I do think of all the teams, Sox view the Phillies rebuild as parallel. And it’s not a surprise to me phils also talked about Machado.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 05:37 PM)

Define “very significant assets.”?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 08:34 PM)
Why in the world would the Orioles want Rutherford for Machado? Am I missing something here? If this type of trade is available, why doesn't Hahn send Kevan Smith to Washington for Harper?

Rutherford was a top 50 prospect as recently as last July. Not sure I get the comparison to Kevan Smith.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 07:46 PM)
I think the White Sox are just doing this for show. No way they get Machado without giving up multiple top prospects, and almost assuredly going to the open market in a year. They get to show him how much they want him and not tamper.

Yeah this isn’t bad view. I think you are right.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 07:45 PM)
I’m probably Charlie Brown trying to kick the football, but I just don’t think they will be that stupid. Meaning, I believe they “explore” the market, but I don’t think this gets done at all. Like sub 1%. But I’m not shocked they inquired.

I do think of all the teams, Sox view the Phillies rebuild as parallel. And it’s not a surprise to me phils also talked about Machado.

Agreed 100%, just doing a risk assessment working under the assumption something could actually get done this month given the sudden possible smoke. I'm 98% confident Hahn wouldn't pull some s*** like that, it's just that 2% that gnaws at you.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 08:44 PM)
His agent is Dan Lozano.

Ah thanks just read an article with Boras commenting on his pending FA.

Should have double checked BR to make sure. I'm sure Lozano loves Boras commenting on his clients.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles...1213-story.html

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 05:48 PM)
Agreed 100%, just doing a risk assessment working under the assumption something could actually get done this month given the sudden possible smoke. I'm 98% confident Hahn wouldn't pull some s*** like that, it's just that 2% that gnaws at you.

Hah...to think this is Hahn.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 07:50 PM)
Was is the key word. .674 OPS in A ball doesn't get you Manny Machado. It is beyond ridiculous. Giolito, Lopez, plus might do the job.

I dont think people are saying Balt would want that, they are saying that is their tolerance. And I agree.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 07:52 PM)
Hah...to think this is Hahn.

I get that but Hahn is the one with the quotes and the KW/Hahn power struggle thing I just refuse to delve into. For the sake of sanity I have to believe Hahn has some sort of autonomy.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 07:55 PM)
Correct. I believe the question was the level of "acceptance" Sox fans would have in the type of package that would be sent over. Rutherford seemed like that level.

No one said that is what they expect it would cost.

If that is the level, then if this trade happened, they won't be happy.