White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 07:45 PM)
Define “very significant assets.”?

To get the Orioles to pull that trigger right now? You're dipping into Giolito/Lopez/Hansen/Cease/Dunning. Not Clarkin and Jordan Stephens. And they're gonna want pitching, the Orioles have no f***ing idea how to develop a pitcher.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 08:37 PM)
Except the risk in this scenario is significant with a very real chance of just pissing away assets. If the Orioles agree to trade Manny in December it's going to cost very significant assets, not lesser prospects that we see as expendable all for the opportunity to hope Manny does the Sox a solid and limits his future earnings 2 months away from free agency because he really likes "Sox culture". It's in no way a risk worth taking.

All depends on the price. I specifically mentioned Rutherford as the type of centerpiece I’d be willing to gamble on because I think we’d be willing to recoup most of that value back by the deadline. The difference I’m more than willing to forgoe if it gives me a slight advantage in free agency. Again, I doubt the Orioles accept a Rutherford + Adams package, but I can see the logic behind taking that risk if they would.

QUOTE (whitesoxwinner @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 07:58 PM)
We should all remain calm. We aren't going to abandon the rebuild. We are only making the trade if A. We can get him to sign an extension and B. It doesn't break the bank prospects wise.

Machado is not going to give a negotiating window and honestly he shouldn’t. That guy is near the finish line to being a multiple hundred millionaire.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 08:50 PM)
Was is the key word. .674 OPS in A ball doesn't get you Manny Machado. It is beyond ridiculous. Giolito, Lopez, plus might do the job.

Lol. "Giolito, Lopez, plus” is literally what it took for the Nats to get Adam Eaton for FIVE YEARS and you’re saying that same package MIGHT get one season of Machado?

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 08:25 PM)
What's the point in adding him for one year when you aren't trying to compete?

Because they may want to finish .500 next year and get our guys ready for prime time in 2019. They may also want to get a potential core of Moncada, Abreu, Machado, and Avi playing together to see how they work. They could add pieces in FA to finish the team off and prepare for Eloy and a few others. If it all fails, you can trade Manny for what you gave up at the deadline by starting a bidding war.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 08:53 PM)
I dont think people are saying Balt would want that, they are saying that is their tolerance. And I agree.

Exactly, I’ve said multiple times I doubt they’d do it, but Rutherford is a polarizing enough of a prospect that you never know with an organization like the Orioles . Basically there is a small area of overlap between what I’d be willing to give up and what Baltimore might accept (again not likely) that it’s worth throwing out a token offer. I wouldn’t give up any of the numerous untouchables I listed earlier in this thread.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 08:01 PM)
Lol. "Giolito, Lopez, plus” is literally what it took for the Nats to get Adam Eaton for FIVE YEARS and you’re saying that same package MIGHT get one season of Machado?

Yes. Although I could see it being one of those guys, Tim Anderson, and maybe some lottery ticket.

Could you imagine the outrage on this board if Hahnhad Machado and traded him for a package centered around Blake Rutherford?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 05:58 PM)
To get the Orioles to pull that trigger right now? You're dipping into Giolito/Lopez/Hansen/Cease/Dunning. Not Clarkin and Jordan Stephens. And they're gonna want pitching, the Orioles have no f***ing idea how to develop a pitcher.

I’m not concerned about moving a Cease or Dunning for a chance to sign a 25 year old generational player.

Just going off of prospect attrition rates alone, that would not necessarily be a poor utilization of the asset.

You guys want to paint these guys as robots; I couldn’t disagree more. Get him sold on the potential if this organization moving forward, offer him $350 million, and watch him walk away from that so he can maybe get $375?

I’m not buying it.

You land him, sudddenly you’ve got no problem attracting other FAs in the future, because he provides credibility.

The risk is worth sacrificing fairly significant value imho.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 06:00 PM)
Machado is not going to give a negotiating window and honestly he shouldn’t. That guy is near the finish line to being a multiple hundred millionaire.

You think the Sox extension offer would be like 10/$50m or something?

He’s going to be a multiple hundred millionaire regardless.