White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 09:42 PM)
I think he is probably right. I think it is just a token effort to get their name attached to his for next year.

I wouldn't put it past the O's to plant this story. I mean if I'm shopping a player I want suitors to think two of the teams with the top farms Yankees and Sox are interested.

I just don't see the fit. Machado is not going to get you to a wildcard and in the offseason all it will take is money. Some other team in win now mode will overpay as they should.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 08:58 PM)
I wouldn't put it past the O's to plant this story. I mean if I'm shopping a player I want suitors to think two of the teams with the top farms Yankees and Sox are interested.

I just don't see the fit. Machado is not going to get you to a wildcard and in the offseason all it will take is money. Some other team in win now mode will overpay as they should.

Not just money but they would lose a draft pick too

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 09:04 PM)
Haven't even thought of that...Wonder if they'll suck enough to protect the first

Any team that signs a player who has rejected a qualifying offer is subject to the loss of one or more Draft picks. While a team's highest first-round pick is exempt from forfeiture, any additional first-round picks as well as Competitive Balance picks are eligible. Three tiers of Draft pick forfeiture -- which are based on the financial status of the signing team -- are in place to serve as a penalty for signing a player who rejected a qualifying offer

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/qualifying-offer

I think STL should really consider moving their chips to the table. Flaherty, Hudson and Bader would be an interesting get for O's. St. Louis has the money to extend Machado. They could really make a run at the Cubs in 18' with that lineup.

Also, Put me in the boat unless it is a very minimal prospects the White Sox should just be patient.