White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 02:04 AM)
Getting Machado for just this year is about the most pointless thing they could do

It makes zero sense. He is not signing long term with the White Sox.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 02:05 AM)
Why would ANY TEAM, much less your KC Royals, trade 3 TOP prospects for a two month rental like Johnny Cueto, when there was no chance he would resign with them?

Well the Royals were trying to win it all that year. The Sox signing Machado makes no sense for 1 year. I hate the idea of "flipping" him at the deadline. That is just stupid as well.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 02:25 AM)
What's the point in adding him for one year when you aren't trying to compete?

Exactly. There's no way he's signing long term with Chicago. If the Sox could, as the one story suggested, have the trade contingent on Manny signing an extension within 72 hours or the deal is off, that is the only possibillity that makes any sense at all. I don't buy that he would EVER sign with us. Sox just aren't going to give him 10 years 300 million. The Cubs might, not the Sox.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 02:25 AM)
Unless the plan is to then flip Machado at the deadline to a team in contention this would be the dumbest move we could possibly make right now.

God I hate the flip idea here. So Sox deal 4-5 prospects they've acquired to gamble they can sign Manny to an extension, then realize they obviously can't and flip him for 4 different prospects. Weird.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 03:18 AM)
F*** I hate this but I love it so much more. Getting Machado a year early would definitely help negotiations,especially if the kids develop and they have a a good development year. Also WSD is a legit source as they come,he's proven plenty he is legit.

Cmon. It won't help negotiations. If Sox don't have the money to compete to sign him they don't have the money. Period.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:02 AM)
Giolito Id be ok with but not Kopech... I'd hate that.

This, exactly this. I think Kopech can be an ace while Giolito only seems like a good starter at this point.

I don't understand the flip to the Yankees part though, and I'm the guy calling for everyone to be flipped. Only way I can see it is if the Yankees would need the O's to take money but they don't want to, so we act as the third team, but why not make it a three way? Another option is that maybe the O's would need more from Yankees because they are in division and the Yankees won't offer it, so we take a little less from the Yankees to get it done.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 11:51 PM)
Rosenthal: Machado in Chicago? White Sox are serious suitors for the Orioles star

Full article on The Athletic, but the site is being wonky right now.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 11:59 PM)
@BNightengale

52s

Yes, the Chicago #WhiteSox indeed have made strong bid for #Orioles 3B Manny Machado as #Orioles field trade offers, as @Ken_Rosenthal said

👀👀👀

1.) There's no f***ing way they're trading Kopech for Machado without an extension locked up.

2.) If Cooper doesn't believe that Giolito's mechanics will hold up and they're trading him with some sort of extension being a strong possibility, I could look the other way and painfully stomach the risk.

3.) However, if they're trading EITHER of these young starting pitchers just to throw a hail marry at signing him before or during the next FA term - that's f***ing vomit inducing yuck.

The ONLY way I would be down with this is if they:

A.) Only lost someone like Giolito and a younger pitching prospect not named Hansen or Cease.

B.) Where SURE that they could sign him for something like 10/325 with player opt outs at years 4,6, and 8.

C.) Could trade Avi for a package of talent that included an arm with as much promise as Giolito.

D.) Didn't really believe in Giolito being a long term innings eating #2.

That's a lot of "if's" -- so I don't think this gets done... and if it does, the probability that I'll be pleased is very low.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:21 AM)
Bob Nightengale‏Verified account

@BNightengale

The #Whitesox not only have made a strong bid for #Orioles 3B Manny Machado, but actually have made the best offer of the dozen offers the Orioles have received

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/941191140665122816

👀👀👀. Hold onto your butts!!!

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 01:04 AM)
One of Kopech or Giolito? Ok, no longer excited.

If our front office makes this move I wouldn't mind if it's Giolito. Moncada, Abreu, Machado, Jiminez, Avi would be lethal. Gio would probably end up as our 4 starter anyway and we have guys who can fill that spot. If not we'll have the money and assets to trade for quality starting pitching. We are rebuilding to be a long time contender, not to say we have good prospects with potential and win farm system rankings. At some point we have to acquire great proven talent if we want to consistently win. And if the Machado plan fails, we send him out for a great package at the deadline anyway.

Edited by SonofaRoache

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:22 AM)
If our front office makes this move I wouldn't mind if it's Giolito. Moncada, Abreu, Machado, Jiminez, Avi would be lethal. Gio would probably end up as our 4 starter anyway and we have guys who can fill that spot. If not we'll have the money and assets to trade for quality starting pitching. We are rebuilding to be a long time contender, not to say we have good prospects with potential and win farm system rankings. At some point we have to acquire great proven talent if we want to consistently win.

The Sox can also develop pitching quite well. Position prospects they can’t, hence why we dealt for many. Think of it this way, if Gio is the headliner, we pretty much get Machado, Lopez, Dunning for Eaton and ?.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 01:22 AM)
1.) There's no f***ing way they're trading Kopech for Machado without an extension locked up.

2.) If Cooper doesn't believe that Giolito's mechanics will hold up and they're trading him with some sort of extension being a strong possibility, I could look the other way and painfully stomach the risk.

3.) However, if they're trading EITHER of these young starting pitchers just to throw a hail marry at signing him before our during the next FA term - that's f***ing vomit inducing yuck.

The ONLY way I would be down with this is if they:

A.) Only lost someone like Giolito and a younger pitching prospect not named Hansen or Cease.

B.) Where SURE that they could sign him for something like 10/325 with player opt outs at years 4,6, and 8.

C.) Could trade Avi for a package of talent that included an arm with as much promise as Giolito.

D.) Didn't really believe in Giolito being a long term innings eating #2.

That's a lot of "if's" -- so I don't think this gets done... and if it does, the probability that I'll be pleased is very low.

I'm not gonna lose sleep over losing Giolito when we have Rodon, Kopech, Lopez, Fulmer, Cease, Hansen, Dunning, 4th pick. We'll have money and the assets to get another pitcher as good as him if need be. It's almost impossible to acquire guys like Manny.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:16 AM)
I really think Rosenthal means flipped at the deadline, not right away.

That makes a ton more sense, but is also a ton more risky. What happens if Torres and Andujar go out and kill it? Or they just realize they can wait for a few months to sign him. Then we're left getting pennies on the dollar for him.

Like everyone... really only okay with this if it's NOT Kopech... but if we have the best offer on the table that could mean that it is Kopech. I'd be shocked if the best offer the O's had was a Giolito headlined package, as nice of a pitching prospect as he is. Would love to be proven wrong here. Maybe they're enamored with the success he had last season in the MLB... here's hoping.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 10:22 PM)
And if the Machado plan fails, we send him out for a great package at the deadline anyway.

I hadn't thought of it like this and if Machado doesn't sign an extension while he's lighting up the down arrow cell park place for the first half... we'd likely be primed to recover greater talent than Giolito at the deadline... while then having a bit of a unique position in off season negioations with Manny.

Risky - but still calculated.

If Kopech is involved thou, I'll want to punch someone in the face.

Either way, you know it's risky when the idea of trading either of the mentioned pieces makes my heart rate jump about 35 bmp.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 01:24 AM)
The more I think about it, the more I don't like it.

If the Sox are so confident in their offer, I don't know why you wouldn't wait until the 2018 off-season to make your offer, and keep your assets.

I understand wanting to get your guy, this just seems like an impatient front office not being able to contain themselves, and rush the process.

We are confident in our offer to get a trade done, not that he will re-sign with us. Hahn wants to trade for him to get him comfortable being here and around the guys on our team. This gives us a leg up if our offer is equal to other teams next off season. This is where Abreu, Castillo, and Moncada will come into play as well

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 01:34 AM)
I hadn't thought of it like this and if Machado doesn't sign an extension while he's lighting up the down arrow cell park place for the first half... we'd likely be primed to recover greater talent than Giolito at the deadline... while then having a bit of a unique position in off season negioations with Manny.

Risky - but still calculated.

If Kopech is involved thou, I'll want to punch someone in the face.

Either way, you know it's risky when the idea of trading either of the mentioned pieces makes my heart rate jump about 35 bmp.

Kopech will only be included with an immediate extension, no way he is added without one.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:28 AM)
I'm not gonna lose sleep over losing Giolito when we have Rodon, Kopech, Lopez, Fulmer, Cease, Hansen, Dunning, 4th pick. We'll have money and the assets to get another pitcher as good as him if need be. It's almost impossible to acquire guys like Manny.

You make a good point I did not think about which is, if the Sox trade Gio or Kopech for Machado, then they can sort of replenish by taking a starting pitcher prospect in the first round.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 10:32 PM)
I'd be shocked if the best offer the O's had was a Giolito headlined package, as nice of a pitching prospect as he is. Would love to be proven wrong here. Maybe they're enamored with the success he had last season in the MLB... here's hoping.

I wouldn't be. An asset like Giolito is extremely rare. Give me comparable pitchers from the other interested teams who has full team control and some proven MLB dominance, that was in the running to be the first overall pick of his draft class.