White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 01:34 AM)
God, this is SO White Sox. They've "won" the Winter Meetings like the last three years, and haven't got any headlines this off-season. So let's go out and get the biggest fish on the market, and we'll convince him to sign a long-term deal with us. WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

Only the Sox would have me upset about the possibility of acquiring a 25 year old Manny Machado.

Dude, you are getting bent out of shape over losing out on Giolito for a top 10 player in baseball? Our rotation will be sick without Gio and having Machado improves our chance of locking him up long term and attracting top free agents to play with us. We can replace Gio in the draft next year if we wanted to even.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:37 AM)
You make a good point I did not think about which is, if the Sox trade Gio or Kopech for Machado, then they can sort of replenish by taking a starting pitcher prospect in the first round.

Won't nearly be as established or as progressed as kopech or giolito

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:32 AM)
It's absolutely risky, and the Sox shouldn't play this game.

What is the exact parameters of that 72 hour rule to sign someone? Can we trade for MM and then try to sign him and after 72 hours it doesn't get done the trade is void? Not exactly sure how it goes. And i would put Anderson in any trade for MM. He is a decent player but if we have anything close to the great pitching i think we will have we need a better defensive shortstop especially if Burger is at 3rd. MM at short would be perfect.

Max Wildstein‏Verified account

@MaxWildstein

#WhiteSox have emerged as the most serious suitor for Manny Machado, per @Ken_Rosenthal. Ideally, CWS would want to sign him to a long-term deal; however, they could always flip him to another team for additional prospects.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:37 AM)
You make a good point I did not think about which is, if the Sox trade Gio or Kopech for Machado, then they can sort of replenish by taking a starting pitcher prospect in the first round.

Gio, yeah, but guys like Kopech don't grow on trees. He is the #1 pitching prospect in baseball not named Shohei Ohtani. If we can't get an extension, the odds of us being able to get something of equivalent value back seems low and the top pick most likely isn't going to be as good.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 10:38 PM)
Dude, you are getting bent out of shape over losing out on Giolito for a top 10 player in baseball? Our rotation will be sick without Gio and having Machado improves our chance of locking him up long term and attracting top free agents to play with us. We can replace Gio in the draft next year if we wanted to even.

It's not that easy to: A, replace Giolito from a f***ing draft and B, sign Machado.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 01:36 AM)
Then you don't give up anything of value for him right now.

You're giving this front office way too much credit.

Why not? Our odds of signing him in FA are slim if you want to be honest. Already having him on the team gives us a 50/50 shot to keep him if we are willing to pay him market value. We have an up and coming team, great city, money to spend on FA's, and he could be the hero here, unlike other places.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:43 AM)
Why not? Our odds of signing him in FA are slim if you want to be honest. Already having him on the team gives us a 50/50 shot to keep him if we are willing to pay him market value. We have an up and coming team, great city, money to spend on FA's, and he could be the hero here, unlike other places.

These guys don't give 2 s***s about that stuff, I don't know where people get that from. He's going to sign with whichever team pays him the most.

Nathan Bernhardt‏Verified account

@jonbernhardt

again, if the White Sox are in on Machado it's because they perceive that whatever they'd be giving up wouldn't threaten their rebuild. It means something like a Carlos Rodon/Avisail Garcia package

https://twitter.com/jonbernhardt/status/941185191451774976

QUOTE (Soxnfins @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 01:43 AM)
Here’s a thought.... it’s not Kopech or Giolito. It’s Alec Hanson. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit, but I wouldn’t like it.

That is more stupid than the Shields trade, and that’s saying something. Any more than Fulmer and I will be furious. This is the Samardzija mistake all over again. This team will never learn.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 01:44 AM)
These guys don't give 2 s***s about that stuff, I don't know where people get that from. He's going to sign with whichever team pays him the most.

This. I can’t believe our FO after making some excellent trades last year to secure our future is about to blow it up for a rental who will test FA.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:45 AM)
That is more stupid than the Shields trade, and that’s saying something. Any more than Fulmer and I will be furious. This is the Samardzija mistake all over again. This team will never learn.

Correct. I’m hoping we are all wrong and it’s who we aren’t expecting, lower price than what is being reported....

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 01:41 AM)
It's not that easy to: A, replace Giolito from a f***ing draft and B, sign Machado.

Giolito is unproven even though he was good this year. He is a rookie who hasn't accomplished anything in this league. Rodon, Kopech, Lopez, and Hansen may all be better than him. The plan people want to to try to sign Machado in FA when we have less than a 5 percent chance. The only shot we have at getting a Hall of Fame talent on this roster next year is by trading for one. It would suck to lose Gio but we would get by pretty nicely without him, just like the Nationals did.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 10:44 PM)

@jonbernhardt

again, if the White Sox are in on Machado it's because they perceive that whatever they'd be giving up wouldn't threaten their rebuild. It means something like a Carlos Rodon/Avisail Garcia package

You think the Os would green light a Rodon trade for their biggest star since Cal Ripken? Bwhhahahahahahahahah. Ok, buddy. 😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:44 AM)

@jonbernhardt

I’d be ok with Avi going. Rodon is still here for a couple of years, unless he fires Boras.

The Orioles have played their hand- they can't compete so they need to cash in on Machado. Everyone knows he's going to sign a record-breaking deal so I can see how just maybe the offers aren't too great. He doesn't have years of cheap control like Sale/Q/Eaton.

Maybe it's as low as the Cease/Burger/Rutherford/Adolfo tier of guys. Great prospects but farther away.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:44 AM)

@jonbernhardt

Thats not a terrible package because Rodon still has plenty of potential and control, and they can gamble on Avi to continue his success and perhaps then flip him for another prospect package down the road. Could also be the strongest offer out there, I suppose. Who is this guy and how are his credentials?