White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 01:47 AM)
Giolito is unproven even though he was good this year. He is a rookie who hasn't accomplished anything in this league. Rodon, Kopech, Lopez, and Hansen may all be better than him. The plan people want to to try to sign Machado in FA when we have less than a 5 percent chance. The only shot we have at getting a Hall of Fame talent on this roster next year is by trading for one. It would suck to lose Gio but we would get by pretty nicely without him, just like the Nationals did.

Are you kidding me? Giolito was absolutely dealing like an all-star once he got acclimated. This is nuts that people are cool with dumping him for a rental. Cheap young tor starters like that are GOLD. You don’t trade them EVER if your team has any kind of budget constraints.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 10:36 PM)
Then you don't give up anything of value for him right now.

You're giving this front office way too much credit.

Nailed it. Wasn't this the plan with Samardzija who grew up a Sox fan not far from the Chicagoland area ? Repeat after me Jeff Samardzija , Jeff Samadzija ....

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:49 AM)
Thats not a terrible package because Rodon still has plenty of potential and control, and they can gamble on Avi to continue his success and perhaps then flip him for another prospect package down the road. Could also be the strongest offer out there, I suppose. Who is this guy and how are his credentials?

He seems to be an Orioles blogger or writer. He's blue checkmark verified on Twitter so that at least gives him some credibility.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 01:44 AM)
These guys don't give 2 s***s about that stuff, I don't know where people get that from. He's going to sign with whichever team pays him the most.

Not true. If all the teams offer 10 years and 300 million we need something to be in our favor. He wouldn't pick us over the Yankees and others in that situation unless he were comfortable here already. He's going to get that deal from every interested team, and we wouldn't be talking trade if we didn't plan to make a top offer. I think we are holding on to these prospects a little too close. We'd lose one we'd miss, whom prior to his last few months of the season people were down on. I like Gio, and hope his name isn't included, but if you can get a top 10 player on your team you do it. Shark and Shields were bad trades because both of those guys sucked when we got them. They weren't top tier players like Machado is.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 01:53 AM)
Nailed it. Wasn't this the plan with Samardzija who grew up a Sox fan not far from the Chicagoland area ? Repeat after me Jeff Samardzija , Jeff Samadzija ....

He isn't Machado. Shark wasn't nearly the level of player Machado is and he wasn't worthy of re-signing after his one year here.

This is so stupid. Why? Kopech or Giolito? Seriously? With no guarantees that he re-signs? Again, there has to be a 72 hr window otherwise forget it. IMO trading either of those guys for Machado, with one year of control, when he is almost certainly going to test the open market is a fireable offense. I would hope that either Kenny or Jerry are grabbing Hahn by his tie and telling him if he even discussed them with the O's that his job is on the line. But this is the White Sox, so they do stupid things from time to time. If they pull a stunt of this proportion, I won't be going to nearly as many games this season. This is contradictory and bulls***.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 01:52 AM)
Are you kidding me? Giolito was absolutely dealing like an all-star once he got acclimated. This is nuts that people are cool with dumping him for a rental. Cheap young tor starters like that are GOLD. You don’t trade them EVER if your team has any kind of budget constraints.

Carson Fulmer was dealing like an all-star as well. Lots of pitchers flame out after hot starts. Not saying this is a certainty with Gio, but he hasn't produced for a few years yet. If Hahn thinks he can convince Machado to sign, or flip him at the deadline I'll trust his judgement. Top 10 players and potential Hall of Famer's are much more GOLD than guys who look good for seven starts.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:54 AM)
Not true. If all the teams offer 10 years and 300 million we need something to be in our favor. He wouldn't pick us over the Yankees and others in that situation unless he were comfortable here already. He's going to get that deal from every interested team, and we wouldn't be talking trade if we didn't plan to make a top offer. I think we are holding on to these prospects a little too close. We'd lose one we'd miss, whom prior to his last few months of the season people were down on. I like Gio, and hope his name isn't included, but if you can get a top 10 player on your team you do it. Shark and Shields were bad trades because both of those guys sucked when we got them. They weren't top tier players like Machado is.

A) "All teams" are not going to offer 10/300. He's going to have a handful of offers in that range and will likely sign with whichever has the most money + opt outs + NTC. All things that the Sox are not known for.

B) There's a 0% chance he signs an extension and skips free agency

C) In the entire history of the Sox, they're never the 'desired' location and never will be. The only way we get guys is to overpay, which again, they don't do.

D) We can make that offer 11 months from now and not give up a guy with 5+ years of control

Trading anyone of note from this roster for a rental is such a huge risk that they shouldn't be making 1 year into a rebuild.

Edited by Jenksy Cat

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 01:59 AM)
That is completely irrelevant to the conversation.

The Sox acquired Samardzija with the absolute intention of re-signing him. Here is the quote from Hahn, AT THE WINTER MEETINGS.

They tried most off that winter to get him locked up, but he wanted to test free agency.

I'm not disagreeing there. I said it was stupid because Shark wasn't very good to begin with. And after his season with us he wasn't worth extending anyway. If Shark were a top 10 pitcher in baseball I'd feel differently about that trade.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:59 AM)
Carson Fulmer was dealing like an all-star as well. Lots of pitchers flame out after hot starts. Not saying this is a certainty with Gio, but he hasn't produced for a few years yet. If Hahn thinks he can convince Machado to sign, or flip him at the deadline I'll trust his judgement. Top 10 players and potential Hall of Famer's are much more GOLD than guys who look good for seven starts.

I'm buying what you're selling. I'd like to see Machado hit for higher average, but its hard to argue with his defense, power, and still respectable averages and RBI numbers. Also, his WAR was awesome in 15 and 16. I'm also a huge proponent of having as many solid pitching prospects as possible to maximize your the potential that you have a rock solid rotation... but this certainly is enticing if its Giolito or Rodon's names being bandied about. Kopech... no thanks. You also have to kind of hope that 2017 was a fluke, learning experience kind of a year for a young stud like Machado.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 01:59 AM)

Machado is not going to sign without testing FA. Why are we so hard up to blow up our rebuild to add this dbag with the attitude problem when we have young guys coming up. This is our future leader? What has Machado ever led his team to? This front office can’t even go one full year of a rebuild without falling back into their “go for it” ways. Unreal

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 02:03 AM)
A) "All teams" are not going to offer 10/300. He's going to have a handful of offers in that range and will likely sign with whichever has the most money + opt outs + NTC. All things that the Sox are not known for.

C) In the entire history of the Sox, they're never the 'desired' location and never will be. The only way we get guys is to overpay, which again, they don't do.

D) We can make that offer 11 months from now and not give up a guy with 5+ years of control

Trading anyone of note from this roster for a rental is such a huge risk that they shouldn't be making 1 year into a rebuild.

When I said all teams I'm referring to all interested teams. Yankees, LAA, etc will off 10/300. He may not sign one, but our odds of retaining are solid if he is here already and likes it, AND we offer him 10/300. Well as far as history goes we make the playoffs once a decade on average. That will change when we consistently win, people will want to be in Chicago during the spring and summer.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 02:09 AM)
Rick Hahn has been with the White Sox as an executive for 17 years.

Lucas Giolito is a 23 year old pitcher.

Please don't compare "track records" of the two.

Let's be honest, was Rick really making these decisions before? Once he officially took over he got us into the rebuild shortly thereafter that we avoided for too long. This is his first real chance to build a team without Kenny forcing his hand.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 01:11 AM)
Let's be honest, was Rick really making these decisions before? Once he officially took over he got us into the rebuild shortly thereafter that we avoided for too long. This is his first real chance to build a team without Kenny forcing his hand.

It took about 4 years for hahn to delve into a rebuild.

I really don't see what the other rumored teams could be offering that we couldn't easily match- so it's no surprise to me that we're considered as having the best offer out.

I'll "dare to dream" as Hahn requested... starting with the dream that the trade price is lower than antisipated and with Machado signing an extension:

2018 Starters as of June 10th

2B - Moncada

SS - Machado

1B - Abreu

RF - The Bess

LF - Avi

C - Castillo

DH - Davidson

CF - Anderson

3B - Sanchez

Starting Rotation

Rodon

Kopech

Lopez

Shields

Fulmer

Bullpen ( s*** )

Covey

Minaya

Infante

Vieira

Bummer

Some Rule 5 Dude

2019 projection

2B - Moncada

SS - Machado

1B - Abreu

RF - The Bess

LF - Avi

3B - Donaldson

C - Castillo

DH - Davidson

CF - Anderson

Rotation

Kopech

Rodon

Pomeranz

Lopez

Hansen

Bullpen

Fulmer

Cease

Burdi

Burdi

Vieria

Miller

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 02:07 AM)
Machado is not going to sign without testing FA. Why are we so hard up to blow up our rebuild to add this dbag with the attitude problem when we have young guys coming up. This is our future leader? What has Machado ever led his team to? This front office can’t even go one full year of a rebuild without falling back into their “go for it” ways. Unreal

How are we blowing up our rebuild?

Moncada, Kopech, Lopez, Fulmer, Rodon, Jimenez, Robert, Cease, Hansen, Burger, Collins, Rutherford, Burdi, Dunning, and 4th pick would mostly all be here.

O's only have one year of Manny so they cannot expect the moon in return.

I agree with everyone who has said that Kopech is essentially untouchable.

Jerry is not getting any younger. He is a billionaire so he can afford a big Contract for Machado.

You can bet that if the cubs did not have Kris Bryant they would be all over this.

I don't want to trade Avi to get Machado. One of the goals in getting him would be to create a strong line-up

with Avi, Abreu, Machado, Moncada, Tim Anderson, Castillo, Eloy Jiminez, Luis Robert.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 01:03 AM)

Great Post. This x 1 million. I hope this is a ploy to get a head start on negotiations, where they make a strong offer contingent on a 72 hr window to get an extension done, it fails, Sox get to keep their pitchers AND get to talk to Machado's camp about what it would take to get a deal done next winter.