White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 02:52 AM)

A lot of the posters said they weren't fans of the Shark trade in that thread. I don't know why you all keep saying everyone here wanted that deal. And again, he sucked, so there was no point in making the trade.

In the NL/pitcher parks his ERA prior to the trade was

Good pitcher but nothing special there. Certainly not worth an extension either when you factor in AL and our park.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 11:59 PM)
That Shark trade smells like Kenny. A vet pitcher who was brought in to go for it. Machado is coming to be a part of the rebuild if it happens. I trust Hahn in this rebuild because his moves have been excellent. This is what I mean when I say I have no reason to doubt him. Building the team, and not simply trying to go for it with an average team has gone much better.

So those Hahn quotes Tony showed you was just Hahn being a good soldier ?

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 03:10 AM)
Lol I predicted you would say this 30 minutes ago. All the bad trades are KW's fault, all the good trades are Hahn's. You probably think the Shields trade was KW too right?

That trade happened in 2014 and I don't think Hahn was making those types of decisions at that point. Kenny's history shows that's his type of deal. 30 year old mediocre player. Machado is young and elite.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 03:12 AM)
A lot of the posters said they weren't fans of the Shark trade in that thread. I don't know why you all keep saying everyone here wanted that deal. And again, he sucked, so there was no point in making the trade.

In the NL/pitcher parks his ERA prior to the trade was

Good pitcher but nothing special there. Certainly not worth an extension either when you factor in AL and our park.

Really? I saw a lot that did like it. Only because they felt we didn't give up much because of where prospects were ranked. But Oakland was smarter than that.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 03:13 AM)
So those Hahn quotes Tony showed you was just Hahn being a good soldier ?

He never said I, he said we, we, we, we. I never said that was smart planning, I said it was the opposite and clearly stupid. I don't think it was stupid because he was a rental, it was stupid because the pitcher wasn't good to begin with. I also said I question Hahn's ability to go all in with an average team and patchwork the roster. I said I trust him with this rebuild because as it pertains to this rebuild, he has done an outstanding job. I'm not sure what point you are making here. The Sox were horrible when he was here, and Shark was horrible as well. So of course the two sides split. Had Shark produced a 2.80 ERA and we lived up to expectation, he probably would have re-signed.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 03:15 AM)
That trade happened in 2014 and I don't think Hahn was making those types of decisions at that point. Kenny's history shows that's his type of deal. 30 year old mediocre player. Machado is young and elite.

Machado is a headcase/dbag with an attitude problem who has tools but is a poor leader. With the team's new focus on character guys what is so appealing about bringing him in as a rental when some are suggesting we give up real prospects and players on the roster with high upside? This is not the guy to build a team around and the Orioles know it. What has Machado ever won? What big playoff games has he won? Big playoff hits? .174 hitter in 27 playoff AB's. .125 hitter in the one ALDS appearance. Hard pass.

Sounds like another Cutler to me.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 03:20 AM)
Really? I saw a lot that did like it. Only because they felt we didn't give up much because of where prospects were ranked. But Oakland was smarter than that.

I read a lot of posts from people saying they weren't with a deal for Shark. Not everyone, but enough to make it a meaningless point.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 03:23 AM)
Machado is a headcase/dbag with an attitude problem who has tools but is a poor leader. With the team's new focus on character guys what is so appealing about bringing him in as a rental when some are suggesting we give up real prospects and players on the roster with high upside? This is not the guy to build a team around and the Orioles know it.

Sounds like another Cutler to me.

The Orioles know they can't re-sign him. His character isn't the reason. If you all want to go all in with our prospects expect to become the Twins of contending. Good enough to win bad divisions but never a real contender. You have to acquire elite talent if you want to win consistently.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 03:27 AM)
The Orioles know they can't re-sign him. His character isn't the reason. If you all want to go all in with our prospects expect to become the Twins of contending. Good enough to win bad divisions but never a real contender. You have to acquire elite talent if you want to win consistently.

What you're saying doesn't even make any sense. Are you trying to say free agents don't want to play baseball in Chicago? If so that is the fault of ownership. This is not a small market. It's one of the top 3 markets in the USA. For endorsements, publicity, there's no reason a player wouldn't want to come here besides the ownership commitment to the team.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 02:31 AM)
What you're saying doesn't even make any sense. Are you trying to say free agents don't want to play baseball in Chicago? If so that is the fault of ownership. This is not a small market. It's one of the top 3 markets in the USA. For endorsements, publicity, there's no reason a player wouldn't want to come here besides the ownership commitment to the team.

When the kind of money that machado is looking at next year is on the table, players will go to Miami to play, they don't give a rat's ass about markets

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 03:33 AM)
When the kind of money that machado is looking at next year is on the table, players will go to Miami to play, they don't give a rat's ass about markets

So if he's only about the money why are we giving up good talent for him when he's just a rental who will test the market anyway?

Then its an ownership problem. And this team will never win a world series unless they have another miraculous season like 05 until JR is gone and we get a real owner.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 03:31 AM)

What I'm saying is the elites will go to New York, Boston, LA, and Texas before us. Hell, even Detroit does better in that regard. The reality is the Cubs hurt us also. Ownership is a problem for us for sure.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 03:58 AM)
You guys.....I'm so scared.

Orioles fans need to put down the crack pipe. Saying they're getting Kopech and Giolito lmao. More like Fulmer and Cease or Dunning with a long term deal with Machado agreed to as a contingency to complete it. Although I don't like Machado at all on a long term deal. But I'd give it a chance.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 03:03 AM)
Orioles fans need to put down the crack pipe. Saying they're getting Kopech and Giolito lmao. More like Fulmer and Cease or Dunning with a long term deal with Machado agreed to as a contingency to complete it. Although I don't like Machado at all on a long term deal. But I'd give it a chance.

I keep thinking Gio and Fulmer, or Gio and Dunning in my head, but even that would make me very cautious until we extend Manny.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 04:11 AM)
I keep thinking Gio and Fulmer, or Gio and Dunning in my head, but even that would make me very cautious until we extend Manny.

Don't give up Gio. Please no. Big big mistake. Gotta be some combo of Fulmer, Cease and Dunning and he has to be signed as a contingency to complete it. No Hansen, Giolito, or Kopech in this deal. Not for a rental we could sign next year. Don't budge Hahn.

Edited by soxforlife05

Before I go to bed I will say this:

We haven't made the playoffs in 10 years and are in a rebuild, so let's get behind whatever it is these guys do until it actually fails. No need to get upset or rage and we don't how how things are going to work. We were all in on this rebuild yesterday and trading a nice prospect pitcher isn't going to destroy us. IF IT EVEN HAPPENS! Enjoy this ride for what it's worth.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 10:31 PM)
That's the thing. It's not. The Sox have a shot to acquire him in 11 months. And if they are so confident they can sign him to a long extension now, they should absolutely be in the bidding in late 2018.

Again, you continue to ignore what is in plain sight.