White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

All I know is a guy who loved playing here and was beloved by fans, Paulie Konerko, checked out the open market. Why wouldn't Machado? It is going to happen anyway.

I am a season ticket holder and prefer to attend games the Sox win. Machado, especially if he goes back to SS, has a chance to be the best player in baseball. So that would be good for me. Hahn was quoted as saying this was the tough part of the rebuild, and patience was the guy. They are doing the total opposite now. Obviously their dream was to add Machado. Keep the talent, and pay him more later. That is the patient thing to do. It is ridiculous to think he is giving them a discount.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:11 AM)
I take this as a good sign that these guys aren’t in the trade. Still don’t see how we have a “leading offer”’without one of Kopech, Giolito, Lopez, Rodon, or Hansen in the mix.

So question for Soxtalk, who would you rather give up as the centerpiece in a trade for Machado: Rodon, Lopez, or Hansen?

Lopez. I watch his starts and envision him as an eventual Brandon Morrow failed starter, shut down relief pitcher. That's obviously valuable, but expendable for Machado.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:19 AM)
STL is getting after it this winter, are willing to trade from a deep farm and are linked to both Machado and Abreu. Let's have a threesome!

If we trade for Machado I think it would be crazy to trade Abreu.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:08 AM)
You know who just did a lot to differentiate themselves in a marketplace? The mariners with ohtani. Shiotinbfg ourselves in the foot really badly here.

How so? Like acquiring more cap space when money was never going to be the motivating factor? Regardless, I’m not sure how an Ohtani comparison applies here as that was such a unique free agent process.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:18 AM)
I mean you are right...you can’t know until the offers come in, but it isn’t like there are no cues to go off of.

Again, even if we let him go to FA, our money is still green too, you know. It might be more comforting for the guy to know he’ll be in an organization that he likes AND be insanely wealthy instead of just one of those two things.

Not worth trading anythingbof value to build comfort. What if he doesn't like it here? Is it just a shoulder shrug and, oh well atleast we tried?

Manny Machado here is a step forward, but let's not act like it's the missing piece to contention. We're still a few years away.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 04:19 AM)
All I know is a guy who loved playing here and was beloved by fans, Paulie Konerko, checked out the open market. Why wouldn't Machado? It is going to happen anyway.

I am a season ticket holder and prefer to attend games the Sox win. Machado, especially if he goes back to SS, has a chance to be the best player in baseball. So that would be good for me. Hahn was quoted as saying this was the tough part of the rebuild, and patience was the guy. They are doing the total opposite now. Obviously their dream was to add Machado. Keep the talent, and pay him more later. That is the patient thing to do. It is ridiculous to think he is giving them a discount.

Why do you think they believe he will give them a discount?

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 04:26 AM)
Not worth trading anythingbof value to build comfort. What if he doesn't like it here? Is it just a shoulder shrug and, oh well atleast we tried?

Manny Machado here is a step forward, but let's not act like it's the missing piece to contention. We're still a few years away.

Agreed on the second part, but he’s the piece that gets this thing going. He’s the John Lester. He adds credibility, attracts other FAs, etc.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:19 AM)

Where in the world do you get this discount idea from? They only acquire him if they’re committed to paying him market value.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:33 AM)
I dunno guys. I’m just confused as to why so many of you think it would be such a foregone conclusion to sign this guy cold in FA.

I'd rather try at that point than give up anything now for him. Not a foregone conclusion they will resign him.

Edited by soxfan2014

If Hahn can land Machado and extend him then the price will be worth it. Having said that I would love for Hahn to get creative and offer salary relief to the cash poor marlins something like: Sox trade Rutherford and Flores for Yelich, Prado (eating his 29.5M) and Chen with the marlins eating a fair bit(25-30M over 3 years) of it so it balances out Yelich's surplus value. Marlins would save face getting a top 50 prospect and an intresting arm, sox use their capital to land Yelich at a reasonable rate.

DH - Abreu

C - Collins*

1B - Delmonico*

2B - Moncada#

SS - Machado

3B - Sanchez#

LF - Yelich*

CF - Anderson

RF - Jimenez

sign me up.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:32 AM)
Agreed on the second part, but he’s the piece that gets this thing going. He’s the John Lester. He adds credibility, attracts other FAs, etc.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:33 AM)
I dunno guys. I’m just confused as to why so many of you think it would be such a foregone conclusion to sign this guy cold in FA.

100% agree with both points.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:11 AM)
I take this as a good sign that these guys aren’t in the trade. Still don’t see how we have a “leading offer”’without one of Kopech, Giolito, Lopez, Rodon, or Hansen in the mix.

So question for Soxtalk, who would you rather give up as the centerpiece in a trade for Machado: Rodon, Lopez, or Hansen?

The way Baltimore is with medicals, I doubt Rodon is in the mix. It's possible Baltimore asked for Kopech as a headliner and the Sox countered with Giolito.

If I must choose a centerpiece for Baltimore to receive, let it be Rodon. His shoulder scares me so if Baltimore was willing to take him as a centerpiece, I'd be good with that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:24 AM)
If we trade for Machado I think it would be crazy to trade Abreu.

I was thinking Machado/Abreu to STL, TA + pitching prospect to Baltimore, f*** load of prospects coming back to Chicago. All this would be done with the sole purpose of pissing off the Gregg.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:46 AM)

White Sox are very interested in trading for Manny Machado, and would then potentially trade him to the Yankees in return for prospects. Yankees don't like their chances of trading directly with Orioles. Phillies are also interested, with Cardinals and Giants the others in talks.

Knowing the White Sox would explore trading Machado to the Yankees, will this affect the Orioles' willingness to trade him to Chicago in the first place? I suspect it would. I'm certain nobody in Baltimore wants to see Machado in pinstripes next season (or beyond).

https://twitter.com/DanClarkSports/status/941278879976538114

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:46 AM)

Makes no sense. The Sox would never be able to trade with the Orioles again if they pulled a shady move like that. You’d basically need Torres & Frazier for this to make any sense for us, as you’d just be making the Yankees as even bigger behemoth. As surprising as it would be for us to acquire Machado, facilitating a trade to the Yankees is even more far-fetched IMO.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:46 AM)

I don't know about this. Would Baltimore be willing to trade him to the Sox knowing they would flip him to a division rival? I believe that if the Sox are going to trade for Machado he'll be playing for the Sox in 2018...and hopefully beyond.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:02 AM)
So what are you comfortable with the Sox trading? Who is off limits?

Off Limits: Anyone already on the major league roster or in our top 10. If they like some of our lower level guys, sure, go for it. I would be infuriated if they traded anyone super important to the rebuild.