White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

Just woke up to this insanity? Wow. Not thrilled to say the least. I love Machado but losing Kopech would seriously piss me off. This goes against what Hahn has been doing by doing this now. I’d ok the trade ONLY if he signs. I’m not giving up Kopech if he doesn’t. I just can’t see them giving up Kopech. I could stomach Giolito but wouldn’t be thrilled. Gota wake up and think about this more. Just doesn’t make sense to float Kopech.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:02 AM)
So what are you comfortable with the Sox trading? Who is off limits?

Giolito, Lopez, Moncada (duh), Kopech, Collins, Eloy, Dunning off limits.

I'd be okay with Anderson, Avi, and maybe even Rodon. A couple other arms in the minors would be okay, but I'm not as familiar with some as others on this board.

I would hate any deal that includes Giolito, Lopez, Eloy, or Kopech, though.

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 08:04 AM)
If the Chicago #Whitesox acquire Manny Machado, they would have seven months to sign him to long-term deal or trade him again before the July 31 trade deadline to recoup prospects

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/941291280264499202

This makes sense and was my original plan/scenario. However, the more I think about it, I think trading him at the deadline would be counter-productive unless it were to a team with no chance of extending him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:13 AM)
This makes sense and was my original plan/scenario. However, the more I think about it, I think trading him at the deadline would be counter-productive unless it were to a team with no chance of extending him.

You'd pretty much be paying for a 7-month negotiation window. He can bring back a top 100 prospect at the deadline. Other rentals have throughout the years.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:13 AM)

I mean, I guess from Sox perspective if they had to trade him at deadline it’s acknowledgement he ain’t coming back.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:16 AM)
You'd pretty much be paying for a 7-month negotiation window. He can bring back a top 100 prospect at the deadline. Other rentals have throughout the years.

Which gives the Sox a better chance at getting the guy long term. And that's okay provided they don't give up a ton for a chance to sign him. I believe that the Sox would have a pretty tough time signing him as a free agent, so having him be a part of the Sox culture for a while might help. Regardless, the Sox will have to willing to pay around $30 million a year for a long time.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:18 AM)
You can already kinda tell they don't plan on offering the most money next year if their whole idea of trading for him is they can sell him on culture and stuff like that for a year.

Then this is beyond stupid, it is insanity. $$$ talks, bulls*** walks. Why? This is a stupid White Sox idea that needs to be kilt now.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 08:16 AM)

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 08:16 AM)
I mean, I guess from Sox perspective if they had to trade him at deadline it’s acknowledgement he ain’t coming back.

See, and that’s the part that worries me. He may simply want to test free agency no matter what we’re offering. I’m less enthused if they’re banking on a pre free agency extension as that could imply needing a “discount”, unless of course we’re talking about a 72 negotiating window (which doesn’t seem in the cards).

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:21 AM)
The Sox always seem to have a bunch of pitching prospects and are good at developing them. I'd have no problem giving a top prospect, or two, for a guy like Machado.

Only if they get him signed. If the guy is intent on testing the market, it is pointless. At that point you're wasting assets for nothing.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:30 AM)
Why do you think they believe he will give them a discount?

Because they are willing to trade assets to get him here to "see the culture", believing that it will trump money. Just remember, his agent got Albert Pujols out of STL, which shocked the world. There are a lot of nice places to play MLB. Money is what talks.

If they are prepared to offer him the most money, it makes no sense to trade assets for him now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:24 AM)
Because they are willing to trade assets to get him here to "see the culture", believing that it will trump money. Just remember, his agent got Albert Pujols out of STL, which shocked the world. There are a lot of nice places to play MLB. Money is what talks.

If they are prepared to offer him the most money, it makes no sense to trade assets for him now.

His agent also got the Votto extension. People say his agent isn't Boras but he might as well be.

Yesterday Dave Cameron wrote an article saying Ozuna and Machado should have roughly similar trade values. With these names we’re hearing that obviously doesn’t sound like the case. I really don’t think one year of Machado should get Baltimore a top 50 prospect but with several teams in the mix who knows. Kopech would be pure insanity.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 05:24 AM)

Not trump money; compliment the money.

The Orioles are dumb. I know they want pitching, but maybe they’d take something like Avi, Yolmer and Fulmer. Duquette has said this week they want to complete with or without Machado. Maybe theyd prefer guys they could plug right in.

I’d be pretty upset if any of Moncada, Kopech, Eloy, Giolito, Lopez, Robert, Collins or Hansen are moved. I suppose I could live with losing a couple second tier guys - like pick 2 od Fulmer, Dunning and Rutherford.

Ugh. I don’t know.