White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (ChicagoHeel @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:31 AM)
Nightingale

The #WhiteSox have no intention of flipping Manny Machado if they land him, they say, insisting he fits into their long-term plans

And I'm sure he does, but do the Sox fit in his long term plans?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 08:26 AM)
Yesterday Dave Cameron wrote an article saying Ozuna and Machado should have roughly similar trade values. With these names we’re hearing that obviously doesn’t sound like the case. I really don’t think one year of Machado should get Baltimore a top 50 prospect but with several teams in the mix who knows. Kopech would be pure insanity.

This is where I'm at with all this. The way folks are talking on here makes it seem like the Sox would have to give up as much or more for one season of Machado than we received for 3 seasons of Sale, 4 seasons of Quintana, or 5 seasons of Eaton.

To outbid teams who would use Machado to win this year, in order to retain a 9 month negotiating window, is utter madness.

Do they not see how disastrous the similar moves they made in 2014- June 2016 were?

Who is the best major league player that Hahn has acquired? Eaton, without question. Acquired for 1 young pitcher.

And yet Hahn wants to make more of the Samardzija type deals, where he piles on prospects, that failed miserably. (the Frazier deal was a similar dud).

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:35 AM)
This is where I'm at with all this. The way folks are talking on here makes it seem like the Sox would have to give up as much or more for one season of Machado than we received for 3 seasons of Sale, 4 seasons of Quintana, or 5 seasons of Eaton.

Yep. Just don’t see how our top tier guys can be involved. It doesn’t make any sense.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 08:41 AM)
Yep. Just don’t see how our top tier guys can be involved. It doesn’t make any sense.

Right. In the Eaton deal the Nationals gave up pre-MLB success Giolito, a top 50 prospect that some thought was destined to be a reliever, and a former first round pick that had made a total of 8 starts (none above A-) and the media KILLED them for it. And that was for 5 years of a guy coming off a ~6 WAR season.

One year of Machado can't possibly cost that much, or even close to that much IMO.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 08:47 AM)
@barstoolWSD This is some conjecture/ some scoopage, but asked around and am pretty sure Kopech is off limits in a Machado deal FWIW

I trust Dave.

Eloy/Moncada/Kopech/Robert/Collins/Hansen should be off limits for sure

Not sure how us going for Machado makes sense right now, but I will trust Hahn and Co. (although this has the stench of Kenny Williams)

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 08:09 AM)
Eloy/Moncada/Kopech/Robert/Collins/Hansen should be off limits for sure

Not sure how us going for Machado makes sense right now, but I will trust Hahn and Co. (although this has the stench of Kenny Williams)

You'd pretty much be buying a 7-month negotiation window. Then you could flip to recover some value in July.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:27 AM)
Not trump money; compliment the money.

It is interesting to note that the White Sox, except for Freddy Garcia, really haven't brought in a potential free agent, to "see the culture", but even that trade was about immediate winning.

Machado will love the White Sox culture as long as they offer him the most money next winter.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 08:13 AM)
And more than likely get far less than what you gave up

Yeah that would be the risk for sure. That gap is pretty much the payment for the window. But you can snag top 100 prospects at the deadline for 2 month rentals. That shouldn't change as it always happens.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 03:13 PM)
It is interesting to note that the White Sox, except for Freddy Garcia, really haven't brought in a potential free agent, to "see the culture", but even that trade was about immediate winning.

Machado will love the White Sox culture as long as they offer him the most money next winter.

Wonder how much he'll love the culture if they win 70 games