White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 08:16 AM)
If they are discussing these guys I would imagine a 72 hr window is involved. It is the only way anything of the sort makes sense.

What's the 72 hour window do?? We get 72 hours to negociate a contract.. What happens if nothing is reached in that time frame? Can the trade be thrown out? Someone enlighten lil' ol' me

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)
What's the 72 hour window do?? We get 72 hours to negociate a contract.. What happens if nothing is reached in that time frame? Can the trade be thrown out? Someone enlighten lil' ol' me

Yes the trade can be called off then

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 08:19 AM)

Yeah, that's the idea. The trade would be contigent on the Sox reaching an extension with Machado during the 72 hour window. And if it doesn't happen, the deal doesn't happen.

I honestly just don't get this. If you want Machado so badly, just be offer him the most amount of money in the off-season next year. Does the White Sox organization have such a great culture that he will begging to stay with us if we traded for him? I doubt it. This move just seems to contrary to everything Hahn has done the last year plus.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 02:23 PM)
Orioles are still talking to teams about machado but sources say there’s no expectation/belief MM/agent would grant negotiating window for acquiring team at present. So would be 1 year player.

Heyman

Can't think of a dumber idea for the Sox

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 08:26 AM)
I honestly just don't get this. If you want Machado so badly, just be offer him the most amount of money in the off-season next year. Does the White Sox organization have such a great culture that he will begging to stay with us if we traded for him? This move just seems to contrary to everything Hahn has done the last year plus.

I get the idea they won't be doing that.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:23 AM)
Orioles are still talking to teams about machado but sources say there’s no expectation/belief MM/agent would grant negotiating window for acquiring team at present. So would be 1 year player.

Heyman

Keep away from Gio!

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 08:22 AM)
Problem is, the 72 hour window doesn't fit the "sell him on Sox culture" narrative, unless Sox culture is significantly more potent than I thought it to be.

it is motherf***ing Sex Panther

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 08:26 AM)
I honestly just don't get this. If you want Machado so badly, just be offer him the most amount of money in the off-season next year. Does the White Sox organization have such a great culture that he will begging to stay with us if we traded for him? I doubt it. This move just seems to contrary to everything Hahn has done the last year plus.

I agree 100%. You spend all this time acquiring assets, now to trade them for a probable rental, since apparently you are selling culture over money, is exactly the opposite of what you have been doing. Most of the guys they traded have more control than Machado, and I love Machado. I really think, especially if he moves back to SS, he can be the best player in baseball. But you have to pay him if you want him. Keep your prospects and pay him when it's time. You can give him a nice presentation, and then offer him the most money and he will sign with you. If you aren't prepared to do that, he's gone anyway, and that is some more rebuilding time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 03:36 PM)
I agree 100%. You spend all this time acquiring assets, now to trade them for a probable rental, since apparently you are selling culture over money, is exactly the opposite of what you have been doing. Most of the guys they traded have more control than Machado, and I love Machado. I really think, especially if he moves back to SS, he can be the best player in baseball. But you have to pay him if you want him. Keep your prospects and pay him when it's time. You can give him a nice presentation, and then offer him the most money and he will sign with you. If you aren't prepared to do that, he's gone anyway, and that is some more rebuilding time.

As I said yesterday around this time, if you want to put together a title contender, you trade some of the prospects for Yelich and then break the bank for Machado

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
As I said yesterday around this time, if you want to put together a title contender, you trade some of the prospects for Yelich and then break the bank for Machado

Bob Nightengale‏Verified account

@BNightengale

Following Following @BNightengale

More

The #WhiteSox have no intention of flipping Manny Machado if they land him, they say, insisting he fits into their long-term plans

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 08:41 AM)
Lol. It made a small amount of sense with a window, without one it makes a negative amount of sense.

Never really expected the window. The price is more with an agreed to extension.

They can buy him now at his one year cost and have a 7-month window. If they can't work something out, trade him and recoup some loss. I can get on board with this idea depending on the cost. But personally, I'd rather just try to sign him next off-season.

Edited by soxfan2014