White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)
It would be a gamble for them, but it’s one year of Machado, not 3 or 4.

The Sox have a nice wealth of arms, and shoulders are tricky. I said Rodon and Fulmer for Machado and a prospect. Maybe add Adams too, and make a deal. It’s a good gamble for both teams.

Right but I was alluding to what ss2k5 said, the orioles have declined deals for healthy players that "failed their medicals", I just can't see them approving a player that is known injured.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)
I just don't get what the positives for getting Manny for a season is. You run the risk of really hurting the talent level on the team in two seasons if you don't extend him while giving up a few starting pitchers

If you do the deal and don't re-sign Manny, you've really hindered the rebuild. And depending on who you would lose in the trade, you might have just killed the rebuild. Not worth the risk especially when he seems intent upon reaching free agency where the Sox can woo him and gush about the culture, etc.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 10:21 AM)
I just don't get what the positives for getting Manny for a season is. You run the risk of really hurting the talent level on the team in two seasons if you don't extend him while giving up a few starting pitchers

We all have to take a deep breath and realize that Hahn is not going to allow the Sox to get fleeced just to have Machado for one season. There's more going on here than we can currently see in rumors.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:24 AM)
We all have to take a deep breath and realize that Hahn is not going to allow the Sox to get fleeced just to have Machado for one season. There's more going on here than we can currently see in rumors.

They have to already know JR would sign off on a huge extension for this to be possible. I'm talking like 10 year/$300-$330 mill with a few opt-outs. But at this point, I would think he would wait until free agency.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 03:24 PM)
If you do the deal and don't re-sign Manny, you've really hindered the rebuild. And depending on who you would lose in the trade, you might have just killed the rebuild. Not worth the risk especially when he seems intent upon reaching free agency where the Sox can woo him and gush about the culture, etc.

And say that you trade Giolito and Dunning and Rodon continues to be injury-plagued. You're suddenly lacking starting pitching depth.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:26 AM)
They have to already know JR would sign off on a huge extension for this to be possible. I'm talking like 10 year/$300-$330 mill with a few opt-outs. But at this point, I would think he would wait until free agency.

I do have to imagine this has been talked about.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 03:26 PM)

Then you don't deal for him and wait for free agency

Could it just be that Hahn & Co. are floating this out there to show their interest to Manny & Co.? To say, look we wanted you all along and were willing to trade all of these assets? Again, in the end money wins. I don't see a situation where Manny falls in love with 17,000 fans at The Rate and signs an extension in season.

Thought about starting a new topic on this - but if Hahn is really willing to send prospects to get Machado to help increase the chances of signing him next year wouldn't it make more sense to try a similar tactic and use those same prospects to land Yelich?

I'd think a team with Yelich next year and beyond + Robert + Jimenez + Moncada + Abreu, etc. would be more enticing towards Machado than playing one year here on a 79 win team.

I'd send over almost the same package as we got from the Nats - say you send over Lopez, Rutherford and Cease + _______ (probably light) for Yelich. Then next year you sign Machado. You have your rotation pieces still there...

Rodon, Kopech, Giolito, Hansen, etc.

Your lineup is probably Yelich, Moncada, Machado, Abreu, Jimenez, Garcia, Castillo, Anderson.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:24 AM)
Right but I was alluding to what ss2k5 said, the orioles have declined deals for healthy players that "failed their medicals", I just can't see them approving a player that is known injured.

The difference is they already know what they’d be getting into and the risks. This is out in the open and part of the risk.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:24 AM)

Is Castillo really Machado's best friend? I do know Ozzie and his sons do know Machado from Miami. So they could have a little more info about his intentions. But this is a guy who is going to get paid at least top 4 of all time. Money talks.

Why would he go this far and not test the open market?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:29 AM)
Is Castillo really Machado's best friend? I do know Ozzie and his sons do know Machado from Miami. So they could have a little more info about his intentions. But this is a guy who is going to get paid at least top 4 of all time. Money talks.

They played with each other for a year. I would think Machado has plenty of friends in the game.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 03:29 PM)
Yeah which I'm fine with but then you have to compete with other teams. And I'm sure plenty would be interested.

Same as if he is here for a season with a non-contending club. There are also some rumors that he could be on the Yankees radar next offseason.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:29 AM)

^^