White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 10:24 AM)
If you do the deal and don't re-sign Manny, you've really hindered the rebuild. And depending on who you would lose in the trade, you might have just killed the rebuild. Not worth the risk especially when he seems intent upon reaching free agency where the Sox can woo him and gush about the culture, etc.

But so can every other team. In fact, other teams can gush about their on the field success whereas we can’t.

I really think some of you guys are acting like this is a video game and if you meet his asking price he’s yours. There will be other teams offering the same amount of money as us and the decision will likely come down to non-financial considerations. How the hell do you convince him to join your up & coming team rather than a perennial powerhouse like the Yankees or Dodgers? That’s the only reason you trade for him now, to give yourself an advantage over the other teams who will be pursuing him next year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 10:35 AM)

Daryl Van Schouwen‏Verified account

@CST_soxvan

23s24 seconds ago

More

Hahn: "We are not looking to make any sort of move that’s aimed at simply jumping up and perhaps contending for a Wild Card or maybe even the division for one year. The focus remains on the long term.

"Now, we may take some calculated risks along the way."

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 04:38 PM)

@CST_soxvan

23s24 seconds ago

More

Hahn: "We are not looking to make any sort of move that’s aimed at simply jumping up and perhaps contending for a Wild Card or maybe even the division for one year. The focus remains on the long term.

Calculated risk -barf

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:38 AM)

@CST_soxvan

23s24 seconds ago

More

Trading for Machado is more than a calculated risk. Depending on the package, it could be a huge risk.

@CST_soxvan

23s24 seconds ago

More

Like it. Astros had a few things go wrong over the last five years and they’re the champs now with a fun team.

So I think at the very least we can take away that hahn is pressing that they may be interested but they aren't going to sell the farm for him but may take a risk but Kopech is probably safe and if he has his druthers sustained success.

I'm all over the place on how I should feel on this lol part of me thinks if we're even talking about a deal in the first place, that Hahn has the ok from Jerry to spend whatever amount it takes to sign him now. But if that is the case, they could wait. Unless they think another team like the Phillies beat them to it or even the Yankees.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:39 AM)
It's not

Right that's always been the assumption but this kind of confirms it. I do think that once players do get here though they have a good experience for the most part. The Sale and LaRoche stuff obviously made an impact.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 04:44 PM)
Right that's always been the assumption but this kind of confirms it. I do think that once players do get here though they have a good experience for the most part. The Sale and LaRoche stuff obviously made an impact.

Yeah the players like it here but the fear is lack of exposure and marketing opportunities

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:35 AM)

@CST_soxvan

23s24 seconds ago

More

Hahn: "We are not looking to make any sort of move that's aimed at simply jumping up and perhaps contending for a Wild Card or maybe even the division for one year. The focus remains on the long term.

Rick is just trolling now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:45 AM)
Yeah the players like it here but the fear is lack of exposure and marketing opportunities

Players go where the money is. If the White Sox offer the best contract, the player will sign. The organization has a good rep among players. If not, you wouldn't have seen all the team friendly deals. The problem is, the White Sox try to get guys to sign for less because they can't spend $1 if they only have $.50. That isn't going to work for Machado. He is also going to have union pressure to get the most he can get.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 10:49 AM)
Players go where the money is. If the White Sox offer the best contract, the player will sign. The organization has a good rep among players. If not, you wouldn't have seen all the team friendly deals. The problem is, the White Sox try to get guys to sign for less because they can't spend $1 if they only have $.50. That isn't going to work for Machado. He is also going to have union pressure to get the most he can get.

Yes, and no. Machado is going to be offered a ton of money by many teams, making the decision not just about money but about club culture, the city, etc.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
The only way this makes sense to me is if Hahn is trying to pass off some damaged goods.

If it's Rodon and others considered a little less talented, it's a gamble for both teams. The Orioles need arms, but they know it's never a guarantee.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
The only way this makes sense to me is if Hahn is trying to pass off some damaged goods.

Considering what it takes for the Orioles to consider someone damaged goods, that is probably everyone in the White Sox organization. There is no way they would take someone that is actually hurt. Maybe they have identified players, pitchers in particular, that they feel will be hurt soon.

I still think it's crazy unless you are trading a guy like Avi and some lesser pitcher like Dunning or Cease. Then, maybe, but why would Baltimore do that?

Unless it is totally a steal, I am thinking this whole thing is much to do about nothing. Manny Machado now knows the White Sox plan to be serious suitors next year.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)
Considering what it takes for the Orioles to consider someone damaged goods, that is probably everyone in the White Sox organization. There is no way they would take someone that is actually hurt. Maybe they have identified players, pitchers in particular, that they feel will be hurt soon.

I still think it's crazy unless you are trading a guy like Avi and some lesser pitcher like Dunning or Cease. Then, maybe, but why would Baltimore do that?

Unless it is totally a steal, I am thinking this whole thing is much to do about nothing. Manny Machado now knows the White Sox plan to be serious suitors next year.

I tend to agree. Besides, I really don't want to be the Billy Beane in this situation: trading away Addison Russell to get one year of Jeff Samardzija. If he's not coming long term, thanks but no thanks.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)

I read some earlier post's that Machado has a bad attitude and isn't a team player. Been trying to find some reports on that with no luck. Has anyone else heard that or can provide anything on pertaining to his perceived attitude? Thanx much appreciated.