White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)
I still think it's crazy unless you are trading a guy like Avi and some lesser pitcher like Dunning or Cease. Then, maybe, but why would Baltimore do that?

Unless it is totally a steal, I am thinking this whole thing is much to do about nothing. Manny Machado now knows the White Sox plan to be serious suitors next year.

Same, and the only way I could think Avi along with guys like you mentioned would be considered a "strong offer" (as twitter claims) is if other teams aren't willing to throw as much at this trade because of the impending free agency.

It could have been an offer like Timmy Anderson, Giolito and Fulmer, which would be the best offer likely out there. It is a calculated risk like Rick said, we have the depth to rebound pitching wise and lose the risk on Timmy. We would also be "cashing" in on an early contract Rick signed like always. I wouldn't like that trade. Or even two of those guys for a rental and showcase of the greatness that is WhiteSoxdom, but I could see something like it happening.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
Same, and the only way I could think Avi along with guys like you mentioned would be considered a "strong offer" (as twitter claims) is if other teams aren't willing to throw as much at this trade because of the impending free agency.

Machado still is a GG fielder, could hit 40 homers, and could play SS. That, even for a season, should be worth a lot to a contender. That is why I can't see there being lowball offers. If Hahn is correct and signing guys is easier when they play for you, wouldn't a team he goes to the playoffs with be even more likely to re-sign him?

It's a really bizarre situation. It is hard to imagine it making sense for the White Sox, and the Orioles.

If it happens and Hahn is correct and has no problem signing Machado, I apologize. I just don't see how Manny playing in obscurity with a 76-86 team is going to make him shun other teams' dollars.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 10:20 AM)
I don't have any information on it that you guys don't have but I think this is just a bunch of a hullabaloo.

WHAT'S HULLABALOO? IS THAT BAD? GOOD?

OH GOD! WE'RE TRADING KOPECH, ELOY, AND ROBERT FOR MANNY, ARENT WE?

NOOOOOOOOOO!

QUOTE (SoxSteve @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 10:23 AM)
I read some earlier post's that Machado has a bad attitude and isn't a team player. Been trying to find some reports on that with no luck. Has anyone else heard that or can provide anything on pertaining to his perceived attitude? Thanx much appreciated.

Sure seemed like his teammates had his back this year with all of that Red Sox mess.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
Sure seemed like his teammates had his back this year with all of that Red Sox mess.

I know that the Boston media and fans ripped him and his character to shreds when that whole thing went down but he's an opposing (Latin) player in Boston, what do you expect.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
It could have been an offer like Timmy Anderson, Giolito and Fulmer, which would be the best offer likely out there. It is a calculated risk like Rick said, we have the depth to rebound pitching wise and lose the risk on Timmy. We would also be "cashing" in on an early contract Rick signed like always. I wouldn't like that trade. Or even two of those guys for a rental and showcase of the greatness that is WhiteSoxdom, but I could see something like it happening.

I know he had a down season, but I don't understand everyone tossing Anderson into trade proposals so easily. He is signed very reasonably long term and should be given the chance to bounce back in 2018.

If we trade him for Machado, and Machado does not sign with us then who the heck do we have to play SS in the organization? I don't see him going anywhere.

It's also important to mention that Machado finished with a .782 OPS last season and a 3.5 WAR. The Orioles missed the playoffs and lost over 85 games.

People are acting like he's Ruth. Sure he's normally a 6ish WAR player which is really, really good but it's not earth shattering.

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 10:28 AM)

That's more than a calculated risk. Max I'd do is something like pick 2 of Rutherford/Fulmer/Cease/Dunning, and a less regarded guy like Jordan Stephens, Clarkin, or Puckett is the final piece.

Anything more than that it just doesn't add up.

QUOTE (SoxSteve @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:23 AM)
I read some earlier post's that Machado has a bad attitude and isn't a team player. Been trying to find some reports on that with no luck. Has anyone else heard that or can provide anything on pertaining to his perceived attitude? Thanx much appreciated.

I remember these two instances where he looked extremely immature

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 10:40 AM)
That's more than a calculated risk. Max I'd do is something like pick 2 of Rutherford/Fulmer/Cease/Dunning, and a less regarded guy like Jordan Stephens, Clarkin, or Puckett is the final piece.

No kidding. Funny how we devalue players so much more once they actually arrive to the show and aren't just a player comp anymore.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 10:39 AM)
It's also important to mention that Machado finished with a .782 OPS last season and a 3.5 WAR. The Orioles missed the playoffs and lost over 85 games.

People are acting like he's Ruth. Sure he's normally a 6ish WAR player which is really, really good but it's not earth shattering.

He's had 3 seasons where he's put up over a 6.0 fWAR. He's 6 days older than Nicky Delmonico.

BTW, Yaz in 1967, when Hawk talks about him....12.4 WAR

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 11:40 AM)

I agree with the max that you would give up but that doesn't match the news (possibly fake) that we had the best offer. Many other teams would have definitely been willing to beat that for even 1 year of Machado.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)
I agree with the max that you would give up but that doesn't match the news (possibly fake) that we had the best offer. Many other teams would have definitely been willing to beat that for even 1 year of Machado.

Tough to know what 'best offer' entails though.

Its conceivable that an offer like Avi + Fulmer + Yolmer could be the most attractive to BAL over a package of lower level prospects. They've made comments that they want to compete in 2018 whether they have MM or not, so an offer like that could be intriguing to them.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 11:44 AM)

Can you name the last few stars that have been traded the offseason before their walk year? I’m sure there are examples, but I can’t think of one other than Shark and that’s using the term loosely. Feels like teams have smartened up and are saving their chips for impact players with more control.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)
Can you name the last few stars that have been traded the offseason before their walk year? I’m sure there are examples, but I can’t think of one other than Shark and that’s using the term loosely. Feels like teams have smartened up and are saving their chips for impact players with more control.

How close was Miguel Cabrera to free agency?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)

Wade Davis. Chapman was traded twice.

There are a ton of deadline guys. I do think a non contending, rebuilding team trading prospects for a pending free agent is pretty much unprecedented.

Edited by Dick Allen