White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:09 PM)
Of course.

The best way to get Machado is to a) amass the most talent you can between now and then (instead of depleting it) and b) (dare I suggest) OFFER Him more money than the other suitors.

Agreed the problem lies is the O's aren't stupid they are going to want controllable players the very same players where you could use the cost savings to keep the payroll low and justify making a big offer to Machado.

The other problem with Machado is it basically locks you into going for it this year. You can't trade Abreu. You can't trade Garcia. If someone comes at you large offer I want Hahn to be able to make deals. I don't want the club to be trapped because they traded for Machado hell I wouldn't want them to be trapped if they were a borderline WC team but I don't think anyone thinks even with Machado this team is anywhere close to a WC team.

This would be a tremendously dumb trade regardless of the cost. I guess the only way it might make some sense if they bought him at dirt cheap like the Yankees did with Chapman and he didn't affect the direction of the offseason but I doubt the Orioles sell him for that they'd just keep him wait for the deadline or recoup the pick.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:23 PM)
People losing their damn minds over rumors. Come on, what in the last 18 months makes you think NOW Hahn is impatient and wants to throw away all that hard work he did to go all in on a Machado trade?

Have some faith, or a beer.

The fact that this thread exists and makes no sense at all, whatsoever, without an extension.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:23 PM)
Agreed the problem lies is the O's aren't stupid they are going to want controllable players the very same players where you could use the cost savings to keep the payroll low and justify making a big offer to Machado.

The other problem with Machado is it basically locks you into going for it this year. You can't trade Abreu. You can't trade Garcia. If someone comes at you large offer I want Hahn to be able to make deals. I don't want the club to be trapped because they traded for Machado hell I wouldn't want them to be trapped if they were a borderline WC team but I don't think anyone thinks even with Machado this team is anywhere close to a WC team.

This would be a tremendously dumb trade regardless of the cost. I guess the only way it might make some sense if they bought him at dirt cheap like the Yankees did with Chapman and he didn't affect the direction of the offseason but I doubt the Orioles sell him for that they'd just keep him wait for the deadline or recoup the pick.

if you get machado for Dunning and Yolmer there is nothing stupid about this trade. For all we know, that's what they offered and why Bob is now saying their offer wasn't that strong.

I don't need a new TV that badly but if my neighbor has a sign outside his place that says he's selling a Sony 4K HDR Bravia 60" for $299 imma go check it out.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 04:23 PM)
People losing their damn minds over rumors. Come on, what in the last 18 months makes you think NOW Hahn is impatient and wants to throw away all that hard work he did to go all in on a Machado trade?

Haha I agree. Not one of our top prospects will be traded. People need to calm down. Hahn knows we only have him for one year and our offer will reflect that.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 05:23 PM)

Because Rick Hahn basically said it.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:09 PM)
Of course.

The best way to get Machado is to a) amass the most talent you can between now and then (instead of depleting it) and b) (dare I suggest) OFFER Him more money than the other suitors.

I don’t think half this board gets this. What happens when three or four teams all have this “outbid everyone” strategy? I can promise you multiple teams will eventually end up offering the same general number. Machado’s decision will most definitely come down to non-financial considerations.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 05:24 PM)
The fact that this thread exists and makes no sense at all, whatsoever, without an extension.

It makes sense if the Yankees went to Hahn and said "We want Machado but Orioles wont deal with us. Well give you A,B,C for him" and Hahn is now trying to get Machado cheaper than A,B,C.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 05:25 PM)
What are the chances the Sox flip him to the Yankees and are doing a stealth 3-way? Angelos doesn't want to deal in division and they want MLB ready pitching (which the yankees don't want remove).

Maybe we deal for him with Fulmer or Gilolito then ship him to the yanks for Frazier.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:10 PM)
Bob Nightengale @BNightengale

43s

The Baltimore #Orioles ready to trade Manny Machado - but fear a back channel to the Bronx. The #Whitesox offer not nearly as strong as rumored usatoday.com/story/sports/m…

Now it's starting to make some sense

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:25 PM)
if you get machado for Dunning and Yolmer there is nothing stupid about this trade. For all we know, that's what they offered and why Bob is now saying their offer wasn't that strong.

I don't need a new TV that badly but if my neighbor has a sign outside his place that says he's selling a Sony 4K HDR Bravia 60" for $299 imma go check it out.

If they don't expect to be able to get an extension done, that's still 2 possible guys who could be contributors in 2019 for a guy who won't be. That's a move that makes us worse in 2019. Why make the team worse on paper in 2019 and 2020?

If you know you have $1000 in the bank and a $900 rent check coming due, spending that $299 on a great TV is still a mistake.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:28 PM)
If they don't expect to be able to get an extension done, that's still 2 possible guys who could be contributors in 2019 for a guy who won't be. That's a move that makes us worse in 2019. Why make the team worse on paper in 2019 and 2020?

If you know you have $1000 in the bank and a $900 rent check coming due, spending that $299 on a great TV is still a mistake.

Because as the post right before yours explained: try and buy him for a dollar and sell him for two. Hahn is simply kicking the tires here. He'd be stupid/lazy and bad at his job if he didn't at least look into it.

As for the TV analogy: I'd flip the TV for $600 tmr and double my money. That's what Hahn is trying to see if he can accomplish.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 04:28 PM)

Its not a strong offer... no top prospects... and we get a year to pitch to him. whats the down side?

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 05:32 PM)
Its not a strong offer... no top prospects... and we get a year to pitch to him. whats the down side?

There is no downside other than You won't get Machado. Why would Baltimore trade him for mediocrity? They would be better off hanging on to him and hoping they can somehow make one final run,

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:32 PM)

If all you gave up was Sanchez, and he walks, and he's a 2 WAR player like he was last year, congratulations you've weakened your 2019 and 2020 roster by $15 million a year in value. You guys know how this works. If "a year to pitch to him" is what it takes and that works, great, but Rick Hahn would be gambling his 2019 roster's key addition on that year. If he loses that gamble, there should be consequences.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:16 PM)
New Nightengale article says the Sox do NOT have nearly a strong of an offer that has been rumored. He says their offer does not include any top prospects and is based on the value that they would have him for one year.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/c...rade/953798001/

But it also says it’s the strongest offer at the moment. Maybe Machado on a one year deal isn’t as valuable as we all think.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 05:16 PM)
If there is any truth to these rumors, I disagree. I would feel much better if as soon as the 72 hr window non-existence tweet came out, then Hahn pulled his offer and there was a report that they were out on Machado. Zero reason to give up ANYTHING without an extension in place.

Nothing has happened. NOTHING

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:32 PM)

The downside is it locks you into a roster that isnt good enough and prevents you from dealing either Abreu or Garcia possibly both. There is also the non-zero chance Machado gets injured or has another down year. There is risk plenty.

Of course there is upside too but all this is predicated on the Orioles accepting a bad offer. Why woudn't they keep him. Why wouldn't they see where they are at the deadline and either move him for prospects or take the pick?

They are already locked in. Other then Britton not much else on their roster has significant value.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:35 PM)
If all you gave up was Sanchez, and he walks, and he's a 2 WAR player like he was last year, congratulations you've weakened your 2019 and 2020 roster by $15 million a year in value. You guys know how this works. If "a year to pitch to him" is what it takes and that works, great, but Rick Hahn would be gambling his 2019 roster's key addition on that year. If he loses that gamble, there should be consequences.

I love Yolmer but if I hear we got Machada for Yolmer I'm going to be firing up a fat ass joint in Hahn's name. Is there anybody here that wouldn't take that deal? Hell, worst case you break off talks and flip him at the deadline for almost certainly more than Yolmer's value.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 05:35 PM)

That isn't true necessarily. Someone has to play the position Sanchez would be playing to be a 2 WAR player. The Sox did spend a pretty high draft pick on a third baseman. They signed a SS to an early extension, and have a 2B many considered the top prospect in the game.

So,Sanchez's 2 WAR might not be good enough to be a While Sox regular.

I do agree the year to pitch him is garbage.

Edited by Dick Allen