White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 05:43 PM)
Because they play them 18 or 19 times. It is very understandable. If the White Sox word isn't good enough, then it won't happen. Probably won't happen anyway. There has to be at least one top guy in the package or it makes no sense for Baltimore.

Why? If the Orioles are going to be bad either way, it stands to reason that trading him for something now is better than letting him walk and getting only a 2nd round comp pick. If the Orioles are looking at it that way, getting something of more value than that would be their floor for dealing him. The White Sox have many ways they could exceed that floor without giving up any core rebuild pieces. Avi, Fulmer, Cease is a package that I'd be okay with parting with that doesn't really tough the rebuild assets all that much, but may look better to the O's than anything else they're getting offered. Of course, that would all be with the caveat that the White Sox are committed to extending him and get the job done. Otherwise even that becomes an overpay.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 05:50 PM)
FWIW, he had a slow start last year and at the deadline his OPS was only .751. It was .829 over the final 2 months.

I bet they could trade Manny Machado for more than a Yolmer Sanchez even if he’s hitting a .700 OPs

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:41 PM)
Why do the O's care if he ends up there for one season, a season in which O's will be bad if they trade him?

He could easily end up in NY for the next decade. That might happen anyway once he's a free agent, but I'm sure they don't want it to look like they facilitated it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 05:51 PM)
The thing is there isn't going to be an extension. I am pretty sure Baltimore knows that or they would be negotiating with him. Probably one reason they won't grant a 72 hour window, even though that would virtually guarantee he wouldn't be traded to the Yankees, is because they know it is pointless.

If it would be pointless, then why not grant the window to increase their return?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:31 PM)
Because as the post right before yours explained: try and buy him for a dollar and sell him for two. Hahn is simply kicking the tires here. He'd be stupid/lazy and bad at his job if he didn't at least look into it.

As for the TV analogy: I'd flip the TV for $600 tmr and double my money. That's what Hahn is trying to see if he can accomplish.

I think poker is a better analogy. We’re the big stack at the table and the blinds are still low. We can play some hands we have no business playing and maybe get lucky and win a big pot. The fact we are deep in prospect currency allows us to throw a moderate offer the Orioles’ way and keep ourselves in the conversation. The odds may be low, but if no one comes in with a big offer then maybe our token package wins it. There’s most definitely a price that makes sense for us to acquire him now as long as the Sox are willing to commit $300M+ towards next offseason. If they aren’t willing to commit that much money then I’d say this is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever seen. I don’t really buy that part of Nightengale’s article though.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:52 PM)
Why? If the Orioles are going to be bad either way, it stands to reason that trading him for something now is better than letting him walk and getting only a 2nd round comp pick. If the Orioles are looking at it that way, getting something of more value than that would be their floor for dealing him. The White Sox have many ways they could exceed that floor without giving up any core rebuild pieces. Avi, Fulmer, Cease is a package that I'd be okay with parting with that doesn't really tough the rebuild assets all that much, but may look better to the O's than anything else they're getting offered. Of course, that would all be with the caveat that the White Sox are committed to extending him and get the job done. Otherwise even that becomes an overpay.

Not that I'm all that attached to any of them, but Avi, Cease, and Fulmer seems like a steep price for one year of Machado at around $17M (projected arbitration salary).

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 05:51 PM)
I think what Nightengale is saying now is probably truth as he mentioned earlier the Sox officials were surprised they had the best offer.

My joke about being the guys in a fantasy auction who bid on a player and then panic when nobody else bids turned out to be eerily accurate.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 05:53 PM)
If it would be pointless, then why not grant the window to increase their return?

Why agree to a trade you know is never going to happen when MM and proposed trade partner don’t come to a deal after 72 hours. What does that accomplish?

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 05:52 PM)

They have some decent players. How does Avi, Fulmer, Cease make them playoff contenders in a couple of years? They are pretty much screwed right now. Their best chance at actually winning the next 5 years is keeping Machado this year, and hoping everything goes right. Once he is gone, so is all hope in Baltimore for a long while.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:56 PM)
Not that I'm all that attached to any of them, but Avi, Cease, and Fulmer seems like a steep price for one year of Machado at around $17M (projected arbitration salary).

I wouldn't include Avi if we don't get a window that allows the completion of the deal to be contingent on extending Machado. I think we could recoup at least half of the value of Fulmer and Cease/Dunning at the deadline if we can't sign him before then. Worth the risk? Maybe. Still don't think we'd be able to sign him before then.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 05:56 PM)

I said it was an overpay if you don't get the extension.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:09 PM)
What are the other five? James Shields is obviously one of them. What else are you including?

The Shields trade counts twice, it was soooo stupid. Getting only two prospects (and I love both Kopech and Moncada) for Sale is another. The Yankee swindle is a third or fourth. One to go.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 05:40 PM)
Many seem to have not read the article as Nightengale said there's no chance the Sox would actually give Manny a huge contract

This makes no sense to trade him thinking the Sox will flip him versus thinking he would be in long term plans and they don’t want him going to a team they sign him to a long term extension. No one expects the Sox to make any noise this year, franchise 3rd baseman or not.

And if the Orioles are so worried about him going to the Yankees, why don’t they hold onto him until the trade deadline?

Edited by Latilleon

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 05:56 PM)
The O's are fairly pathetic. Why worry about what the Yankees will do? Maybe we trade him at the deadline. So beat them. Isnt that what this sport is about?

Hard when you have an owner like that. I like Dan Duquette and he’s done a great job, but man they are an obnoxious franchise. I’m probably missing some team, but he’s the worst owner now right?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 12:58 AM)
The Shields trade counts twice, it was soooo stupid. Getting only two prospects (and I love both Kopech and Moncada) for Sale is another. The Yankee swindle is a third or fourth. One to go.

Sale trade was fair, no complains there

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 05:53 PM)

Because they know it's a waste of time and if one team fails, all the others will finally be convinced that perhaps they aren't so special to Machado, and if they acquire him, they will be bidding against a few other teams for his services after the 2018 WS.