White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:23 PM)
ChrisnfreakingSale should have gotten at least 3 real prospects, we got two. Face it, DD hoodwinked RH when he added Diaz and Basabe. It's over, who cares. I was just sticking up for Balta.

I wanted Devers to make it Moncada, Kopech, Devers but in hindsight that's actually a ton. Would've been nice to get a better player to round out the deal but teams are always going to be hesitant with Sale's perceived arm risk.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:39 PM)
At the deadline, it could be anybody. An injury here an injury there, an unexpected contending season...The Cubs gave up a pretty good one for a guy who fires shots at his female companion closer in 2016.They could have had him for a fraction of the price before the season started..

Manny Machado changes your team for the better instantly.

If you were an Oriole fan, would you really be happy with the return you mentioned for Manny Machado?

Even with the premiums paid for relievers at the deadline, the Chapman return was a huge outlier. Did you see the JDM return? That dude should have commanded much more, but the market didn’t bare it. I’m not going to deny that as an Orioles fan I’d expect a better headliner than Cease in return for Machado, but I really don’t think they’ll get a blue chipper for him at this point. They can definitely wait until the deadline and hope it pays off, but that also comes with the risk of injury and ending up with a second round pick. Plus he’d be delaying the sale of his other assets, which just seems like a bad idea. Hahn had time on his side with Quintana, Duquette doesn’t really have that luxury. It’s either now or the the trade deadline and nothing is promised next July.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:51 PM)
I wanted Devers to make it Moncada, Kopech, Devers but in hindsight that's actually a ton. Would've been nice to get a better player to round out the deal but teams are always going to be hesitant with Sale's perceived arm risk.

Eh, not really sure his arm is of any concern any more. I think he has shown that his perceived "risky" delivery works for him. He hasn't hit the D.L. at all. I think the hesitancy with Sale was his tendency to get worse as the season progresses, which is exactly what happened last year and into the playoffs.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:56 PM)
Eh, not really sure his arm is of any concern any more. I think he has shown that his perceived "risky" delivery works for him. He hasn't hit the D.L. at all. I think the hesitancy with Sale was his tendency to get worse as the season progresses, which is exactly what happened last year and into the playoffs.

All it takes is one pitch to overload tendons/tissues/etc and cause an injury. There doesn't have to be an injury history. He may prove to be a freak of nature but with that delivery I see him eventually suffering an injury and never being the same guy. It could happen any time. Not that I'm hoping he gets hurt to justify moving him but he will end up being a historical anomaly if he goes another 3-4 years injury free.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:51 PM)

You're not getting two top 10 prospects and Devers in that type of deal in 2017.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 08:05 PM)
You're not getting two top 10 prospects and Devers in that type of deal in 2017.

I'm pretty sure Kopech was not a top 10 prospect when he was moved. Moncada was 1, Kopech was top 25 and Devers was around 50-75 range if I recall. Devers and Kopech were both in A ball prior to that offseason of the trade.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 08:19 PM)
I'm pretty sure Kopech was not a top 10 prospect when he was moved. Moncada was 1, Kopech was top 25 and Devers was around 50-75 range if I recall. Devers and Kopech were both in A ball prior to that offseason of the trade.

BA had Kopech 32. Devers was 18. You aren't getting all three in a trade. Honestly, Kopech right now is probably worth more.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 08:19 PM)

MLB had Devers like #14

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:26 PM)
BA had Kopech 32. Devers was 18. You aren't getting all three in a trade. Honestly, Kopech right now is probably worth more.

Kopech is going to be ranked top 10 by every publication in spring and probably top 5 by a couple. He had an absolute ridiculous season relative to age and level and he put to bed any concern of not having the stamina or pedigree to start. He looks like an improved prospect from last offseason and that is saying quite a bit considering he didn't have that far to elevate.

I would think long and hard about Kopech straight up for Devers. I'd probably pull the trigger just based on TINSNAPP but man I'd worry every single night laying in bed I traded Thor 2.0 for "just" a 5 WAR 3B.

QUOTE (Nokona @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 10:37 PM)

says "likely" which seems kinda a silly hedge to me if you're tweeting about it. Pick a side. I'd offer Gio. JR has blessed this move, and he wouldn't bless it if he didn't think they had a shot to resign him. Gio is worth a shot IMO. (You turned Adam Eaton into Lopez, Machado and Dunning!) And getting Machado is going to put some butts in the seats and eyes on the TVs.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 08:40 PM)
says "likely" which seems kinda a silly hedge to me if you're tweeting about it. Pick a side. I'd offer Gio. JR has blessed this move, and he wouldn't bless it if he didn't think they had a shot to resign him. Gio is worth a shot IMO. (You turned Adam Eaton into Lopez, Machado and Dunning!) And getting Machado is going to put some butts in the seats and eyes on the TVs.

More accurately; "You turned Adam Eaton and $300 + Million into Lopez, Machado and Dunning"

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 10:52 PM)
More accurately; "You turned Adam Eaton and $300 + Million into Lopez, Machado and Dunning"

Well, I don't think I've ever said this on a message board: but it's not my money. Getting Machado wrapped up for 300 million ($30m x 10, boom done) with this young core (minus Gio granted) would have be over the moon excited. Machado is a proven 5 war player. Yea there is some risk in signing him but it's one some team is going to take and if it's the Sox, well f*** me I love it.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 08:54 PM)
Well, I don't think I've ever said this on a message board: but it's not my money. Getting Machado wrapped up for 300 million ($30m x 10, boom done) with this young core (minus Gio granted) would have be over the moon excited. Machado is a proven 5 war player. Yea there is some risk in signing him but it's one some team is going to take and if it's the Sox, well f*** me I love it.

I wasn't being critical of the suggested acquisition. My comment was only meant to clarify what it would actually entail.