White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:07 PM)
Realistically, could this lineup combine for 30 WAR if all went right?

1. Robert, RF

2. Moncada, 2B

3. Machado, SS

4. Abreu, 1B

5. Jimenez, LF

6. Delmonico, DH

7. Burger, 3B

8. Collins, C

9. Anderson, CF

If it all went right, 1-5 in that lineup should combine for about 30 WAR.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:07 PM)
Realistically, could this lineup combine for 30 WAR if all went right?

1. Robert, RF

2. Moncada, 2B

3. Machado, SS

4. Abreu, 1B

5. Jimenez, LF

6. Delmonico, DH

7. Burger, 3B

8. Collins, C

9. Anderson, CF

Is everybody down on Blake Rutherford? I still think he can be a stud. He was a young kid who struggled after getting traded. I still see a ton of talent/potential once he grows into his body.

QUOTE (whitesoxwinner @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 07:35 PM)
Is everybody down on Blake Rutherford? I still think he can be a stud. He was a young kid who struggled after getting traded. I still see a ton of talent/potential once he grows into his body.

I've been onboard the Rutherford train since the draft. Wanted us to take him with our pick and was kinda pissed we went with Collins instead.

QUOTE (whitesoxwinner @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:35 PM)

More like meh on him right now. He was always a wildcard with great talent. If you get something out of him great, if not oh well.

Edited by SonofaRoache

I hope Eloy/Robert is > Rutherford.

I'm not, but I'm not the one who put together that lineup. With Machado, my projected 2020 (maybe 2021) lineup:

1) Robert CF

2) Moncada 2B

3) Machado 3B

4) Jimenez RF

5) Abreu DH

6) Rutherford LF

7) Burger/Sheets/FA Acquisition 1B

8) Collins C

9) Anderson SS

If EVERYTHING goes right, that could be close to a 50 WAR lineup. That's assuming Robert, Moncada, Machado, and Jimenez are 6+ WAR, 3 more of the remaining players are 4+ WAR, and the other 2 are 2-3 WAR, or, as I said, EVERYTHING goes right.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 10:21 PM)
I'm not, but I'm not the one who put together that lineup. With Machado, my projected 2020 (maybe 2021) lineup:

1) Robert CF

2) Moncada 2B

3) Machado 3B

4) Jimenez RF

5) Abreu DH

6) Rutherford LF

7) Burger/Sheets/FA Acquisition 1B

8) Collins C

9) Anderson SS

If EVERYTHING goes right, that could be close to a 50 WAR lineup. That's assuming Robert, Moncada, Machado, and Jimenez are 6+ WAR, 3 more of the remaining players are 4+ WAR, and the other 2 are 2-3 WAR, or, as I said, EVERYTHING goes right.

This would be my projected lineup.

We're going to have to do our "due diligence" on Machado vs. Nolan Arenado. And hopefully we pick the right one and don't have another FA bust with such a huge franchise-altering acquisition.

There seems to be more risk with any player leaving Colorado, but I haven't looked closely at Arenado's splits (plus the whole NL to AL issue, maybe KW can try with CarGo first, haha).

You put any line-up with those two, Luis Robert, Moncada, Abreu and Jimenez, that's as solid as it gets 1-5.

Catcher is a hard area to improve.

So that means one of the corner OF spots (2nd easiest to fill), Tim Anderson and DH (easiest spot to fill) are the biggest areas for potential improvement.

Of course, the Sox playbook has always been to get three or four 2.0-2.5 WAR guys and hope they all succeed instead of investing all that money into one megastud player.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 11:43 PM)
We're going to have to do our "due diligence" on Machado vs. Nolan Arenado. And hopefully we pick the right one and don't have another FA bust with such a huge franchise-altering acquisition.

There seems to be more risk with any player leaving Colorado, but I haven't looked closely at Arenado's splits (plus the whole NL to AL issue, maybe KW can try with CarGo first, haha).

You put any line-up with those two, Luis Robert, Moncada, Abreu and Jimenez, that's as solid as it gets 1-5.

Catcher is a hard area to improve.

So that means one of the corner OF spots (2nd easiest to fill), Tim Anderson and DH (easiest spot to fill) are the biggest areas for potential improvement.

Of course, the Sox playbook has always been to get three or four 2.0-2.5 WAR guys and hope they all succeed instead of investing all that money into one megastud player.

I don't know much it would make a difference if any, Nolan is 15 months older than machado surprisingly. I believe that Arenado's splits away from Coors are just as good if not better than at Coors. I'm with you and hope there will be a lot of due diligence on who to sign. In my opinion Arenado is the better player. Arenado does have three straight years of Gold Glove, Silver Slugger, All-star, and being top ten in MVP voting. Shockingly he's actually won a gold glove every single year he's played.

Edited by whitesoxwinner

Sounds like a lot of posturing going on in the media with Baltimore insisting Kopech be in the deal we le Sox sources saying its not true. At first, Baltimore said they would be willing to trade Machado within their division and now they are spooked that somehow Machado finds his way to the Yankees. Which is it? I think Baltimore is unhappy with the offers and is using the Yanks as an excuse to drive up the price. Lots of posturing.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 01:29 AM)
Can Baltimore put something in the trade language that says if he's traded to the Yankees, the White Sox then have to forfeit another pre-agreed upon player? Obviously players can sign contracts saying they can't be traded to another team, but can teams do the same type of arrangement?

I’ve never heard of it being done and I don’t know why the Sox would agree to it. If they are that worried about the Yankees he should be a final hour transaction at the trade deadline

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 12:29 AM)
Can Baltimore put something in the trade language that says if he's traded to the Yankees, the White Sox then have to forfeit another pre-agreed upon player? Obviously players can sign contracts saying they can't be traded to another team, but can teams do the same type of arrangement?

This relevant quote, from an article on MLBTraderumors.com, may provide some insight:

"The Sox are apparently willing to address Angelos’ concerns, as Nightengale writes that “if the Orioles even wanted it in writing that they’d keep him around until at least mid-summer,” Chicago would be fine with that assurance. This would be quite an unusual type of trade provisio, of course, and one that Angelos may still not be fine with if he wants to eliminate any chance of Machado wearing Yankee pinstripes in 2018."

f*** Angelos. I understand and can guarantee Sox have no intention on flipping him to Yankees. But we should be able to deal him to whatever team we want past a certain point without it being "unethical". Say its July 15th, the Sox can say they traded for him with every intention of working on an extension (which could be true) and they couldn't come together on an agreement. And then the Sox make him available. If the Yankees have the best offer on the table, I'm taking it.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 06:57 AM)
Of course Jon Heyman, on the score, mentions Yankees and Red Sox next offseason for Machado. But they’re not quite sure where Machado is going to want to go yet.

That's why it's important to get him in the organization now if indeed you want a shot at his services next offseason.