White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 07:20 AM)
That's why it's important to get him in the organization now if indeed you want a shot at his services next offseason.

This is why, I'm sure, the Sox are pursuing him now. I would hope that it works. I think it would be difficult for the Sox to sign him next off season when there will be plenty of suitors who will be willing to pay a s*** ton of money.

Well you can go to a conspiracy theory. First installment season ticket deposits are due today. It all could be some news to make those on the fence pony up some cash.

It may be coincidence, but there always does seem to be some sort of rumor right around when they are due.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 06:57 AM)
Of course Jon Heyman, on the score, mentions Yankees and Red Sox next offseason for Machado. But they’re not quite sure where Machado is going to want to go yet.

I don't understand why the Red Sox would be a fit if they believe in Devers and Xander is under control through 2019, why not just extend him? Also, haven't the Red Sox effectively eliminated themselves as an option because of the recent bad blood? I know, money talks, but if it's the difference between $325M and $340M or something to that effect I can't see him choosing the Red Sox. The Yankees only make sense if they are willing to exceed the luxury tax threshold.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 05:39 AM)
This is why, I'm sure, the Sox are pursuing him now. I would hope that it works. I think it would be difficult for the Sox to sign him next off season when there will be plenty of suitors who will be willing to pay a s*** ton of money.

OK lets look at some facts. Manny Machado is a gold glove 3rd baseman. Manny Machado has 2 bad knees. So why would he want to switch to SS ? Answer : To maximize his value. A premier SS is worth more than a corner infielder. So why would he wait till now to want to switch to SS ? Because he knows he has 2 bad knees and playing SS for 1 year right before free agency minimizes the health risk rather than doing it for multiple years.

Conclusion : No way in hell does Manny Machado not become a free agent. This is a calculated move on his part to make himself more valuable. It is a pipedream to think otherwise and would be a waste to offer anything to acquire him for a year and think he won't test free agency.

QUOTE (Baron @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 08:20 AM)
That's why it's important to get him in the organization now if indeed you want a shot at his services next offseason.

Agreed not to mention the White Sox aren’t a top destination usually for big time FAs. There was talk on the score about Eaton kind of trashing the Sox and Werth telling Eaton he heard the same as well. I’m trying to remember exactly what was said this morning on the score I was just waking up so I didn’t fully catch it. It was right before they were going to interview Jon Heyman.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 08:44 AM)
Well you can go to a conspiracy theory. First installment season ticket deposits are due today. It all could be some news to make those on the fence pony up some cash.

It may be coincidence, but there always does seem to be some sort of rumor right around when they are due.

I can’t blame them for doing it. Gota sell tickets

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 08:55 AM)
I don't understand why the Red Sox would be a fit if they believe in Devers and Xander is under control through 2019, why not just extend him? Also, haven't the Red Sox effectively eliminated themselves as an option because of the recent bad blood? I know, money talks, but if it's the difference between $325M and $340M or something to that effect I can't see him choosing the Red Sox. The Yankees only make sense if they are willing to exceed the luxury tax threshold.

I was just saying the teams he mentioned. He also said the Marlins because he’s from Miami. I didn’t mention them because he talked about that not happening now with their rebuild.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 08:44 AM)

Are deposits typically during or the week or two after the Winter Meetings? If so, I’m not seeing the coincidence.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 08:25 AM)
Are deposits typically during or the week or two after the Winter Meetings? If so, I’m not seeing the coincidence.

No. Sometimes before, sometimes after. Not typical for a dead offseason to all of a sudden have a Manny Machado trade with where the Sox are in their rebuild.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 08:19 AM)
I was just saying the teams he mentioned. He also said the Marlins because he’s from Miami. I didn’t mention them because he talked about that not happening now with their rebuild.

Understood. Comment was directed to Heyman. Boston and New York seems like the safe answer but in this case probably not the most logical.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 05:26 AM)
This relevant quote, from an article on MLBTraderumors.com, may provide some insight:

"The Sox are apparently willing to address Angelos’ concerns, as Nightengale writes that “if the Orioles even wanted it in writing that they’d keep him around until at least mid-summer,” Chicago would be fine with that assurance. This would be quite an unusual type of trade provisio, of course, and one that Angelos may still not be fine with if he wants to eliminate any chance of Machado wearing Yankee pinstripes in 2018."

This is so stupid. If Machado and the Yankees want to date it's going to happen. If not in 2018, it will in 2019. But the Sox don't have to trade him to the Yankees anyway, there will be other good offers anyway from contenders if it were to go south.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 09:17 AM)
Agreed not to mention the White Sox aren’t a top destination usually for big time FAs. There was talk on the score about Eaton kind of trashing the Sox and Werth telling Eaton he heard the same as well. I’m trying to remember exactly what was said this morning on the score I was just waking up so I didn’t fully catch it. It was right before they were going to interview Jon Heyman.

I’m sure our reputation took a hit after the LaRoche saga (right or wrong). Even more reason to trade for Machado now if the price is reasonable and the organization is serious about committing at least $350M for him.

A little late to the party here but I like the idea of trading for Machado. Now obviously guys like Moncada, Jimenez, Giolito, Lopez, Kopech, Hansen and Robert should be completely off limits. However, I am more than comfortable with letting the Orioles pick 2 out of Stephens, Rutherford, Cease, Dunning, and Fulmer (And anyone ranked lower than that).

The way I look at it is, it is a cant lose for the White Sox.

Positives: 1. Maybe the young guys catch fire, plus Machado, Abreu, and Garcia keep doing what they're doing and the White Sox have a really nice season. By July we should know if Machado would stay or not. You would have to think that being able to recruit him for 7 months couldn't be a bad thing in any way.

2. If he decides he doesn't want to sign an extension or he just wont commit to it either way, trade him on July 31st. There is no doubt in my mind that we would get back equal or greater value at the deadline, compared to what we gave up for him in the offseason.

So to me, this is a no-brainer.

A part of me thinks that the Yankees have the best offer on the table for Machado but the Orioles don't want to trade him to the Yankees. It was reported the Cardinals didn't want to trade 2 of their arms to grab him. Is it entirely possible Hahn sent a low-ball offer (not including Giolito, Kopech, Lopez, Hansen, Cease nor top position players) to the Orioles for Machado and it's actually being considered? Remember that their GM isn't really the smartest. Could also explain why Hahn was surprised that their offer was reported as the best.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 08:42 AM)
A part of me thinks that the Yankees have the best offer on the table for Machado but the Orioles don't want to trade him to the Yankees. It was reported the Cardinals didn't want to trade 2 of their arms to grab him. Is it entirely possible Hahn sent a low-ball offer (not including Giolito, Kopech, Lopez, Hansen, Cease nor top position players) to the Orioles for Machado and it's actually being considered? Remember that their GM isn't really the smartest. Could also explain why Hahn was surprised that their offer was reported as the best.

Dan Duquette is pretty bright, but they are a bit ass backwards there. If they have to fly back to Baltimore to discuss it with the owner, haven't they heard of phones? They aren't exactly new. It's a weird thing. If the White Sox aren't trading at least one of their top guys, if I am them, I am telling them to go scratch.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 09:42 AM)

Something like this appears to be the case to me. As pointed out earlier, Angelos’ son is actively involved in the decision-making process and it sounds like he’s pushing to move Machado now. And honestly, anytime you’ve got a non-baseball guy as the driving force behind something the chance a completely stupid move is made is high. Plus I’ve read a lot of teams simply don’t like working with the Orioles because of how they operate. Point is maybe we threw out a moderate offer like Cease & Fulmer and somehow that is the best offer at the moment and one the Orioles would accept. I truly think you can expect the unexpected when dealing with Baltimore and that includes winning a bidding process you had no intention of winning.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 09:48 AM)
Man I wish Robert was coming up with the current wave

I still think he may be up in '19 at some point

He easily could come fast. I personally expect him to reach AA by the end of 2018. I think that’s where he’ll finally be challenged a bit, so 2020 seems like a pretty realistic ETA although 2019 wouldn’t completely shock me.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 09:45 AM)
Dan Duquette is pretty bright, but they are a bit ass backwards there. If they have to fly back to Baltimore to discuss it with the owner, haven't they heard of phones? They aren't exactly new. It's a weird thing. If the White Sox aren't trading at least one of their top guys, if I am them, I am telling them to go scratch.

I doubt teams are trading their top guys for a one year rental though, especially the White Sox. It would be criminal to give up a player like Kopech in a deal for one season of Machado with the cost of starting pitching.

Anything better than a Cease/Dunning level prospect would be a mistake in my opinion, and I do not love the idea of dealing either of those players as well. I get the "extended sales pitch" idea, but what is that worth in terms of our prospects?

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)
I doubt teams are trading their top guys for a one year rental though, especially the White Sox. It would be criminal to give up a player like Kopech in a deal for one season of Machado with the cost of starting pitching.

Anything better than a Cease/Dunning level prospect would be a mistake in my opinion, and I do not love the idea of dealing either of those players as well. I get the "extended sales pitch" idea, but what is that worth in terms of our prospects?

If you gave up a guy who in 3 years was a #2 starter for a guy you paid $17 million to in a contract year where your team only won 75 games and then had that guy walk as a free agent, that should be a firing offense for a GM.