White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 03:14 PM)
If Machado is sending out feelers he only wants to go to Yankees, Hahn better have a plan in mind to how he will offload him back to NY if it's clear he won't want to stay here

Honestly, think about the market at the deadline for a contending team looking to add a special offensive player to put them over the top. He may be the number one guy depending on how he performs for us, we may be able to net a better return then what we gave up to the orioles. Its possible.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 10:19 PM)
Honestly, think about the market at the deadline for a contending team looking to add a special offensive player to put them over the top. He may be the number one guy depending on how he performs for us, we may be able to net a better return then what we gave up to the orioles. Its possible.

But that's also why I suspect the offers now are way better than many suspect on here. Why wouldn't Orioles just hold on to him until the deadline?

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)

Definitely a game and team changer. Could easily be the difference for several teams in making and missing the playoffs. An upgrade for just about every team on the left side, especially for a contender with a major injury.

It's one reason why I think Baltimore should hold on to him.

Edited by Dick Allen

I don't believe a word of the Yankee fanboys "it's his dream to come here, and sources say he'll take a huge discount to do so!" nonsense. I think Hahn gets this deal done, perhaps over the weekend. Hopefully a year here will make him more likely to sign with us. I doubt we'd flip him to a team like New York in July unless it's absolutely certain that he doesn't want to spend his career here.

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
But that's also why I suspect the offers now are way better than many suspect on here. Why wouldn't Orioles just hold on to him until the deadline?

The offers have to be good or why would they even be considered? Unless they absolutely, positively have to dump his contract, and I have never seen anything in regards to that.

The orginal Athletic report said one of Kopech or Giolito but not both. Obviously that choice would be Kopech, so it has to infer that there would be additions, at least if it were Giolito.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 10:22 PM)
I don't believe a word of the Yankee fanboys "it's his dream to come here, and sources say he'l take a huge discount to do so!" nonsense. I think Hahn gets this deal done, perhaps over the weekend. Hopefully a year here will make him more likely to sign with us. I doubt we'd flip him to a team like New York in July unless it's absolutely certain that he doesn't want to spend his career here.

Well it's far more likely his dream would be to play in NY on a super team than love the culture of the WSox

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 03:24 PM)
Well it's far more likely his dream would to play in NY on a super team than love the culture of the WSox

Maybe. But if he becomes a part of the momentum of a special team going into the season after next he may want to stay a part of that.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 04:30 PM)
Maybe. But if he becomes a part of the momentum of a special team going into the season after next he may want to stay a part of that.

Maybe. But if our rookies take a step forward, and our team over-achieves its way to 78 wins WITH Machado, while the Yankees clobber their division and enjoy a deep playoff run that could end in a title, which do you think is going to sound more fun?

I think, in many ways, it may be easier to sell Machado on the potential of playing with our guys than to show him what it actually feels like. Because even if it feels good, it's going to feel like a lot less winning than some of his alternatives.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 04:40 PM)
Think of what the Sox had to give up for 1 year of Samardzija, and add some more. That is what their package must look like.

I doubt Giolito or Kopech are in the offer, as that would be a big mistake for a rental. Giolito has the makings of a solid #3/4 starter at worst, with the potential for more.

I am not giving him up for one season of Machado,

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 01:47 PM)
I doubt Giolito or Kopech are in the offer, as that would be a big mistake for a rental. Giolito has the makings of a solid #3/4 starter at worst, with the potential for more.

I am not giving him up for one season of Machado,

Giolito's last start of the year the fastball was hitting 94-95, if he can keep that velocity over 90-92 he definitely has a chance to be a strong #2

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 03:11 PM)
Again, absolutely no way you can claim this.

I can in fact claim this because our GM is trying to trade for him instead of waiting. I believe our GM is doing this for a reason, that reason being he isn't confident in FA. That belief is backed up by him saying it's good to get players comfortable with your organization first in an interview.

Being able to gauge Machado's values and preferences, regarding for what city and team, he would like to play, would certainly help here. If the suggestion that he really wants to play for the Yankees has any validity, this whole strategy is folly. In the absence of some suggestion that he would be open to playing on the South Side, giving up anyone, who is considered part of the organization's future, for a one year rental, would be foolish.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 03:49 PM)
I can in fact claim this because our GM is trying to trade for him instead of waiting. I believe our GM is doing this for a reason, that reason being he isn't confident in FA. That belief is backed up by him saying it's good to get players comfortable with your organization first in an interview.

Hahn is saying that the odds are better that he re-signs with the White Sox if he is acquired, which is literally true, because they will have exclusive negotiating rights. No one except Manny Machado will know exactly what those odds are.

So no, you can't say they go from "almost nothing to solid." They improve. How much is non-quantifiable.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 10:01 PM)
Being able to gauge Machado's values and preferences, regarding for what city and team, he would like to play, would certainly help here. If the suggestion that he really wants to play for the Yankees has any validity, this whole strategy is folly. In the absence of some suggestion that he would be open to playing on the South Side, giving up anyone, who is considered part of the organization's future, for a one year rental, would be foolish.

Maybe that's why he's leaking the Yanks info to some people in order to avoid being traded?

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 04:02 PM)
Maybe that's why he's leaking the Yanks info to some people in order to avoid being traded?

WE have no idea if Michael Kay is doing anything except just assuming he wants to be a yankee because all yankees people think everyone wants to be a yankee.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 09:38 PM)
Take it fwiw but my boss grew up playing with Machado and they were pretty good friends, said Manny is the type of guy who just wants to hit HR and get paid. Dont think he has a preference whre but he is probably gonna take best offer available $ wise

Well Sox are screwed because Renteria thinks home runs can be rally killers