White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 04:26 PM)
I read a blog where the guy said a fair price would be Hansen, Fulmer, and Burger. To me, that seems about right. A top 100, a guy who struggled, and a relative unknown.

What type of monetary value would you put on that package? If the Dodgers had the Sox farm system, would you take those 3 to take all of Matt Kemp's money?

If so, the price to acquire Machado to get him to love the culture, with his salary, would approach $60 million. Would just outbidding everyone by $60 million work better, and keep the prospects? I

If they give up those three guys it’s a terrible trade IMO. Hansen should not be a part of these discussions. And for the millionth time, it’s not just about the “culture” as you conveniently call it to mock the idea. It’s about him forming a bond with the players & coaches and generally becoming comfortable with the organization. Have you ever formed bonds with coworkers? Have you ever enjoyed working at a certain company? It’s amazing to me how foreign of a concept this is to you. No doubt money talks, but all along we have said over & over again the money has to be there too or this is all for naught. And how does your idea of using projected surplus value as part of our bid work exactly? Surplus value is all based on opportunity cost of NOT having to pay market rate for production. How are you turning these three prospects into actual cash flow? And what happens if they bust?

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 04:50 PM)
Saw that post and same guy mentioned Giolito AND Lopez

Yeah, that won't happen.

I recall Ken Rosenthal saying the Orioles are a very difficult and unpredictable team to deal with. Very different operations than most other clubs. They might ask for something like a Gio and Lopez, then do some negotiating with Hahn, be right at the brink of getting a deal done, then pull back at the last second. This might be one of those we gotta see it to believe it cases happening.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 04:50 PM)
Saw that post and same guy mentioned Giolito AND Lopez

That would never happen and would be the single dumbest trade in baseball history. The whole point of this idea is to have a team that is ready to compete in 2019. If you trade both Giolito & Lopez, you’re not going to have a playoff caliber rotation in place.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 11:01 PM)
Yeah, that won't happen.

I recall Ken Rosenthal saying the Orioles are a very difficult and unpredictable team to deal with. Very different operations than most other clubs. They might ask for something like a Gio and Lopez, then do some negotiating with Hahn, be right at the brink of getting a deal done, then pull back at the last second. This might be one of those we gotta see it to believe it cases happening.

What concerns me is it's from their so-called insider, jives with what Rosenthal initially reported and falls in line with what Cafardo reported

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 03:22 PM)
Went on the O's board and they have a member claiming to be in the know saying this:

"No idea on specific offers. Haven’t been told yet. Just that offers got significantly better last night and talks really progressed. Haven’t seen anyone say anything on social media yet or any reports out there, but it will be coming."

Thanks for sharing

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 04:07 PM)
What concerns me is it's from their so-called insider, jives with what Rosenthal initially reported and falls in line with what Cafardo reported

I think this is all coming from the Orioles. The Rosenthal piece has already been debunked, as we never offered/will not offer Kopech. Cafardo is rarely right about anything, ever. I believe Baltimore has just been pushing stuff out there to posture.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 11:19 PM)
I think this is all coming from the Orioles. The Rosenthal piece has already been debunked, as we never offered/will not offer Kopech. Cafardo is rarely right about anything, ever. I believe Baltimore has just been pushing stuff out there to posture.

What purpose would it serve for their board insider to posture?

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 04:20 PM)
What purpose would it serve for their board insider to posture?

The board insider wouldn't actively be posturing. He's just relaying the info he's getting from his connection. It's the connection who I believe would be posturing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 03:26 PM)
I read a blog where the guy said a fair price would be Hansen, Fulmer, and Burger. To me, that seems about right. A top 100, a guy who struggled, and a relative unknown.

What type of monetary value would you put on that package? If the Dodgers had the Sox farm system, would you take those 3 to take all of Matt Kemp's money?

If so, the price to acquire Machado to get him to love the culture, with his salary, would approach $60 million. Would just outbidding everyone by $60 million work better, and keep the prospects? I

I don't understand why we are making this idiotic decision. Just offer Machado the most amount of money next offseason.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)
If they give up those three guys it’s a terrible trade IMO. Hansen should not be a part of these discussions. And for the millionth time, it’s not just about the “culture” as you conveniently call it to mock the idea. It’s about him forming a bond with the players & coaches and generally becoming comfortable with the organization. Have you ever formed bonds with coworkers? Have you ever enjoyed working at a certain company? It’s amazing to me how foreign of a concept this is to you. No doubt money talks, but all along we have said over & over again the money has to be there too or this is all for naught. And how does your idea of using projected surplus value as part of our bid work exactly? Surplus value is all based on opportunity cost of NOT having to pay market rate for production. How are you turning these three prospects into actual cash flow? And what happens if they bust?

If it is about forming bonds, and not all about money, how come he isn't signing with Baltimore

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)

If it is about forming bonds, and not all about money, how come he isn't signing with Baltimore? The other fact is, many , most of the bonds he will form with the 2018 White Sox will be short lived as turnover is very common in the game especially with rebuilding teams.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)
I don't understand why we are making this idiotic decision. Just offer Machado the most amount of money next offseason.

I don't understand why everyone's calling this idiotic and, in some cases, questioning Hahn's judgement. These are all rumors from, in my opinion, fairly unreliable sources. All that I really believe is we made an offer, and for all we know, the offer could've been Adams and Stephens.

edit- Yes, when it comes to Baltimore, I don't trust Rosenthal

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 02:25 PM)

Do you know how competitive this will be? Where have you folks been living where you think the Sox are going to compete with some of the premier teams in the league which will also be making significant offers?

The Sox will need something besides money to differentiate themselves from organizations that have won more recently or other big market teams.

It’s not as simple as just relying on money, unless of course you are willing to just blow everyone out of the water, which to be honest, might be more damaging to the organization than moving a few pieces to acquire him now.

And the ironic thing is, if they don't trade for him, they won't have to pay him in 2018 leaving them more money in the bank for the offer after the season, not to mention the prospect cost.

I have the feeling if Rick Hahn said he got the idea from KW, at least a couple of people who thinks this makes sense would change their minds.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 04:37 PM)
Do you know how competitive this will be? Where have you folks been living where you think the Sox are going to compete with some of the premier teams in the league which will also be making significant offers?

The Sox will need something besides money to differentiate themselves from organizations that have won more recently or other big market teams.

It’s not as simple as just relying on money, unless of course you are willing to just blow everyone out of the water, which to be honest, might be more damaging to the organization than moving a few pieces to acquire him now.

They need to have the most money at their disposal. Paying him $17 million for a useless season accomplishes nothing. And if they aren't prepared to be the high bidder, any talk of acquiring him should stop.

This will be an historic contract. It isn't going to be discounted. These guys have egos, and Machado will have more money than he ever needs at a fraction of what he will be paid. He wants his name up there.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 02:43 PM)
They need to have the most money at their disposal. Paying him $17 million for a useless season accomplishes nothing. And if they aren't prepared to be the high bidder, any talk of acquiring him should stop.

This will be an historic contract. It isn't going to be discounted. These guys have egos, and Machado will have more money than he ever needs at a fraction of what he will be paid. He wants his name up there.

No one is suggesting it should be discounted. It’s likely that he will get a range of offers that are generally in the same ballpark. I suspect he will then choose from those teams based on other factors. We need to be competitive in those other factors as well.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 17, 2017 -> 04:45 PM)
This is absolutely ludicrous.

Wouldn't an additional $17 million to his offer be better? Using the trade for him way, you have to pay him at least $17 million more than anyone else to be equal to their bid, not including the value of the package you trade for him, which, from what I can tell, you don't think needs to be very significant, which is ridiculous.

Edited by Dick Allen

Maybe they get the feeling that they would need to offer vastly more money than New York. however, if he is comfortable here the price may not be quite so high.

The White sox will always have a middle of the road payroll. If they can save 5-10 million per year, that would allow them to build a better team around him.

I have no idea if this is what they are thinking but it makes sense. anything to get an advantage to bring him to the Sox instead of the Yankees. with the Yankees getting a gift in Stanton maybe they won't break the bank for Machado.