White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 2, 2018 -> 04:03 PM)
Hate to bust everybodys bubble but I talked to Scott Merkin at Soxfest. He claims as long as Machado wants to play shortstop the White Sox as of now have no interest in him. The White Sox like Tim Anderson at shortstop. So unless Machado wants to play 3rd base the White Sox have no interest in signing him to play shortstop..

I don't buy that. You don't consider yourselves out of this until Machado and his agent tell you "no" next offseason. It's way too early to consider them out of the Machado sweepstakes.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 2, 2018 -> 04:03 PM)
Hate to bust everybodys bubble but I talked to Scott Merkin at Soxfest. He claims as long as Machado wants to play shortstop the White Sox as of now have no interest in him. The White Sox like Tim Anderson at shortstop. So unless Machado wants to play 3rd base the White Sox have no interest in signing him to play shortstop..

I hope you understand that the whole reason he wants to play SS again is to try to increase he value on the free agent market. If the top bidder offers him the most money to play 3B, he will sign the contract and play 3B.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 03:44 PM)
DAN CLARK‏Verified account

@DanClarkSports

The #Orioles and #Indians spoke this past week about a potential trade for Manny Machado.

https://twitter.com/DanClarkSports/status/961328256015192064

makes too much sense. said this weeks ago. I hope they make the deal too because that depletes their farm system moving forward for a one year run at a title (in a year the Sox are not trying to compete).

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 10:54 AM)
makes too much sense. said this weeks ago. I hope they make the deal too because that depletes their farm system moving forward for a one year run at a title (in a year the Sox are not trying to compete).

Yes, hopefully they send the Orioles Mejia to get him this year, then he signs with the Sox in the offseason. That would be the best and most hilarious scenario.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 06:41 PM)
Yes, hopefully they send the Orioles Mejia to get him this year, then he signs with the Sox in the offseason. That would be the best and most hilarious scenario.

If the Indians win the world series this year, they won't care how hilarious it is.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 2, 2018 -> 03:03 PM)

Oh well. PLENTY of other top free agents out there who are going to be available and the Sox will have PLENTY of money to interest them with.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2018 -> 05:45 PM)
I hope you understand that the whole reason he wants to play SS again is to try to increase he value on the free agent market. If the top bidder offers him the most money to play 3B, he will sign the contract and play 3B.

Maybe he wants to be a SS. Some players desire to play glamour positions like SS or CF. But if the talks w the Sox get serious, let him play SS and move Anderson to CF or trade him for something we need. I think his agent convinces him 3B may be easier on the body than SS but then again some SS have had long and successful careers.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 07:09 PM)
Maybe he wants to be a SS. Some players desire to play glamour positions like SS or CF. But if the talks w the Sox get serious, let him play SS and move Anderson to CF or trade him for something we need. I think his agent convinces him 3B may be easier on the body than SS but then again some SS have had long and successful careers.

It all comes down to which offer has the most money. He wants to play SS this year to build up his value for free agency. If he is offered the most money by a team to play 3B? Then that is the best offer.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 04:44 PM)
If the Indians win the world series this year, they won't care how hilarious it is.

Yes, but why would we care? That scenario means they blew their wad on a year the Sox weren't even trying in, and they'll have neither Machado not Mejia to show for it moving forward.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 09:25 PM)
Yes, but why would we care? That scenario means they blew their wad on a year the Sox weren't even trying in, and they'll have neither Machado not Mejia to show for it moving forward.

We wouldn't...but neither would they is the point due to going for it and being successful in this scenaro.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 10, 2018 -> 12:07 PM)
I have very little interest in next years FA. For one they will be grossly overpaid as all FA are. Two, it forces us to go all in when I don't think we will be ready.

Signing Machado is not an "all-in" move for this team. Signing Machado for this team is like what signing A-Rod would've been in 2000/2001. By signing him, you're counting on him to be one of your franchise cornerstones for the next 8+ years while you put a team around him. It's a splash move for sure, but it's not a move that would restrict this team's future resources so badly that it forces them to focus solely on competing right now, mostly because of the huge teardown they did just last year.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 10, 2018 -> 12:07 PM)
I have very little interest in next years FA. For one they will be grossly overpaid as all FA are. Two, it forces us to go all in when I don't think we will be ready.

The Sox currently have $12.9M committed to the 2019 payroll. They have a ridiculous amount of flexibility in signing some of the big name free agents. It's not an all-in move, it's the next step of the rebuild.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 08:09 PM)

I truly hope...that someday...we’re in a position where we can decline to sign Manny Machado because we’re satisfied with Tim Anderson at shortstop.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Feb 11, 2018 -> 08:54 AM)
I truly hope...that someday...we’re in a position where we can decline to sign Manny Machado because we’re satisfied with Tim Anderson at shortstop.

Wouldn’t you still want a guy who’s as talented as Machado anyway, to play 3B perhaps?

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Feb 11, 2018 -> 12:29 PM)
Wouldn’t you still want a guy who’s as talented as Machado anyway, to play 3B perhaps?

Absolutely! Just think Merkin’s claim is a little questionable if he thinks Tim Anderson would be a major road block in bringing Machado in at SS. Timmy is talented, but Manny is an elite talent. I’d have to have a guy like Carlos Correa at SS before I would think about convincing Machado to play 3rd, if him playing SS was a pivotable factor to where he would sign. Kind of like saying, we’re out on Nolan Arenado because Matt Davidson is already there.

Edited by FT35

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 12:17 AM)
I question what our front office's evaluation of his character is.

Agree with this...it's kind of been a growing concern of mine as time goes by. Is his "edge" because he's competitive or is it because he's a punk? Is he the TYPE of person you want to invest in and does he fit our brand? OR...is the better all-in option someone like Nolan Arenado--who's going to represent you well? Then you have that Colorado splits issue--and someone switching leagues...a lot to be factored in. Bryce Harper is both...a punk...but he channels it into his competitiveness. If that's the case with Machado, I'm cool with it.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 07:58 AM)
Agree with this...it's kind of been a growing concern of mine as time goes by. Is his "edge" because he's competitive or is it because he's a punk? Is he the TYPE of person you want to invest in and does he fit our brand? OR...is the better all-in option someone like Nolan Arenado--who's going to represent you well? Then you have that Colorado splits issue--and someone switching leagues...a lot to be factored in. Bryce Harper is both...a punk...but he channels it into his competitiveness. If that's the case with Machado, I'm cool with it.

Arenado doesn't really have those split issues. Guy can hit away from Coors. Sure his numbers are better at home, but if you check a good amount of players, you'll likely find a good amount of players that are better home than away as well.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 09:16 AM)
Arenado doesn't really have those split issues. Guy can hit away from Coors. Sure his numbers are better at home, but if you check a good amount of players, you'll likely find a good amount of players that are better home than away as well.

Yes...and I think GRF is a great place to hit and he could approach those COL numbers. He does hit 50 points higher at Coors, slugs 100+ points higher and his OPS is 150 points higher, but power looks the same. Also the black and white pinstripes is the most similar uniform so maybe that will help with the transition.

He's absolutely who I would go after from a personnel standpoint, but I think the biggest risk to an Arenado signing is the Rockies. I think they are building around him and want him to stay badly...I think they're ready to pay to keep him. It'd suck to chase Arenado only to see him re-sign with COL--while the other top names come off the board. Baltimore expects Machado to leave--they even tipped their hand by publicly putting him on the market now "to try to get something out of him before he leaves." They might extend an offer to keep him, but there's a lot to suggest they are coming to terms with the fact that he will demand more than what they are willing to give him. Arenado is the safer sign, Machado is the safer chase.