White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 11:10 AM)
@BNightengale

The #WhiteSox insist they have no intention to flip Manny Machado if they land him, but also believe other teams have made better offers to #Orioles

So, who made the best offer? Supposedly the Sox, now maybe not.

This is becoming pretty aggravating.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)
@BNightengale

The #WhiteSox insist they have no intention to flip Manny Machado if they land him, but also believe other teams have made better offers to #Orioles

This tweet has been posted about 18 times :lolhitting:

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 11:18 AM)
I can't see how you're perceiving that upon reading the tweet.

It was reported earlier that the Sox made the best offer to the O's. This tweet says other teams have made better offers. I was just asking which is true. I guess that no one actually knows except for the O's.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:10 PM)
@BNightengale

This is actually pretty fascinating. Combine this with the “rob Peter to pay Paul” comment and I feel pretty good that Kopech & Giolito are not involved in any offer.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)
This is actually pretty fascinating. Combine this with the “rob Peter to pay Paul” comment and I feel pretty good that Kopech & Giolito are not involved in any offer.

This kinda reminds me of an auction draft in fantasy sports.

A good player comes up and you start bidding kinda high to not waste time, then nobody else is bidding and you start to panic.

Baltimore is like "YOU ARE THE BEST OFFER" and now Hahn is like "What, NO! Probably not us. SOmeone else is gonna bid. Can't be us"

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:26 AM)

I take that quote to mean, "we're not trading for Manny from the Os to then flip him to the Yankees."

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
This kinda reminds me of an auction draft in fantasy sports.

A good player comes up and you start bidding kinda high to not waste time, then nobody else is bidding and you start to panic.

Baltimore is like "YOU ARE THE BEST OFFER" and now Hahn is like "What, NO! Probably not us. SOmeone else is gonna bid. Can't be us"

Lol...it does come off that way. But I’m more hopeful now that the Kopech/Giolito tweet was a leak from the Orioles to get other teams to step up their offers and does not reflect what we’re willing to give up. I actually like that we’re involved in the process, just would prefer not giving up any of the core guys.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 11:42 AM)
He's had 3 seasons where he's put up over a 6.0 fWAR. He's 6 days older than Nicky Delmonico.

BTW, Yaz in 1967, when Hawk talks about him....12.4 WAR

Yeah, the problem with Machado is when you look at Stanton there has been consistent production across the board he's always hit. Machado has really only hit for two years 2015, 2016 the problem is he's been in the league for 6 years.

Of course you could write it off with him taking his time to figure out MLB pitching until last year. Where he slashed .259/.310/.471/.782. Now there has to be some concern not a ton but some about giving him a long term deal for Stanton money. What do you do if he regresses to the .750 ish hitter? 10 years is a long time. Orioles got burned badly with Davis in a similar way

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:53 AM)
Can you name the last few stars that have been traded the offseason before their walk year? I’m sure there are examples, but I can’t think of one other than Shark and that’s using the term loosely. Feels like teams have smartened up and are saving their chips for impact players with more control.

I'm not sure if it is the most recent, but Johan Santana had 2 Cy Young's, 4 top 5 finishes, and 32.5 WAR in the 5 seasons before he was traded

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 11:52 AM)
Why would the White Sox say they have the best offer? Of course they will downplay their offer.

Again, if all Baltimore is going to get is second tier guys, there is no incentive for them to trade him.

Im trying to figure out why they commented at all on their offer.

No problem with letting the public think they have the best offer if they did or didnt.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:52 PM)
Why would the White Sox say they have the best offer? Of course they will downplay their offer.

Again, if all Baltimore is going to get is second tier guys, there is no incentive for them to trade him.

Our second tier would be many farm system's first tier^

Baltimore is not going to compete against a loaded Yankees and Red Sox in the East and would be best served goign through a rebuild. Dealing Machado would be the start of that.

I have heard no desire on the Orioles part in trying to resign him, so you might as well shop him for the best offer either now or at the deadline?