White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:48 PM)
I'm not sure if it is the most recent, but Johan Santana had 2 Cy Young's, 4 top 5 finishes, and 32.5 WAR in the 5 seasons before he was traded

That’s a good comp, but it was also nine or ten years ago and they got a 72 hour window to negotiate an extension.

Looking at the teams involved, just not sure what they’d be able to give up that’s that much more attractive than our second tier of prospects. The teams that would likely want Machado don’t exactly have a lot of expenable blue chippers to give up, assuming the Orioles won’t deal with the Yankees. I’d honestly see the Cardinals as the biggest threat and they’d have to offer Reyes to force us to do something truly uncomfortable.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 11:29 AM)
This kinda reminds me of an auction draft in fantasy sports.

A good player comes up and you start bidding kinda high to not waste time, then nobody else is bidding and you start to panic.

Baltimore is like "YOU ARE THE BEST OFFER" and now Hahn is like "What, NO! Probably not us. SOmeone else is gonna bid. Can't be us"

Lol this is wonderful.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:51 PM)
I sure hope the "traded by the week's end" line proves to be true. Would rather not lose weeks or months of my life to my White Sox obsession 😆

This clearly has fired on my OCD mode. Drat!

I feel you, lucky for me on I’m vacation and have the bandwidth right now to fully enjoy these rumors.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:00 PM)
Our second tier would be many farm system's first tier^

Baltimore is not going to compete against a loaded Yankees and Red Sox in the East and would be best served goign through a rebuild. Dealing Machado would be the start of that.

I have heard no desire on the Orioles part in trying to resign him, so you might as well shop him for the best offer either now or at the deadline?

Great, but if the Sox had Manny Machado, getting guys like Fulmer or Dunning or Basabe still makes no sense. It isn't like those guys are eventually going to change your organization.

Even with 1 year left, the Orioles have to acquire at least one player who can be a star, and a couple who have a shot of being decent players.

QUOTE (Quin @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 11:48 AM)
If Machado has "only hit" for two years, I'd really like to see what an average player is.

He's hit well every year since he was 20. Even last year's down year saw great power numbers. Then throw in his defense.

Yeah, I mean 2014 he was injured for half the season. His age 20 season he had 51 doubles, then since 2015 he's had 30 homer power each year.

You would like to see him develop more patience as he ages, but he's doing all of this with solid defense and if he provided that at SS that would be a huge advantage for as long as that is possible.

QUOTE (Quin @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:48 PM)
If Machado has "only hit" for two years, I'd really like to see what an average player is.

He's hit well every year since he was 20. Even last year's down year saw great power numbers. Then throw in his defense.

BRef has his Rbat total as 61. 52 of those runs came in those two years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:52 PM)
Why would the White Sox say they have the best offer? Of course they will downplay their offer.

Again, if all Baltimore is going to get is second tier guys, there is no incentive for them to trade him.

Because our second tier guys are still top 100 prospects. Two years of Ozuna just got the Marlins zero top 100 prospects. Teams aren’t paying nearly as much for short-term assets as they have in the past, with elite relievers at the deadline being the one exception. That’s not to say Machado will come cheaply, but I can’t imagine a Quintana like return for him given his limited control. And maybe the Orioles decided what we have to offer isn’t enough and keep him through the deadline, but I can’t see many teams really blowing us out of the water if they decide to move him now.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 10:02 AM)
I feel you, lucky for me on I’m vacation and have the bandwidth right now to fully enjoy these rumors.

😆 I certainly don't enjoy the prospect of shipping out some of our best for such a retarded risk. Thumbs waaaaaay down. Don't see it happening. If this was KW still running the show, I bet it'd be done and announced two or three days ago.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:13 PM)
😆 I certainly don't enjoy the prospect of shipping out some of our best for such a retarded risk. Thumbs waaaaaay down. Don't see it happening. If this was KW still running the show, I bet it'd be done and announced two or three days ago.

Really no reason to use that word, bruh.

If he comes with a new deal attached or a heavy discount sign me up. If the Sox want to cash out on Anderson I'll miss the guy but it's not like his upside is that high. Anderson will always be maxed out as a 3-4 SS at best because of that walk rate and he'll probably settle in around a poor man's prime Alexie. That's not a piece you hoard when Machado is offered up.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
Really no reason to use that word, bruh.

I'll add it to the ever expanding list of words that I must consciously avoid at all times. Seriously thou, it was said just in passing with no disrespect intended. This is a baseball forum not a dissertation. Sorry if a word offended you.

Watching MLBN now, Rosenthal just said that the Sox are most aggressive in their pursuit of Machado. Mentioned that Baltimore management is on their back home and will talk to ownership in the next 24-48 hours about Machado trade talks.

Scary thing is that he said that the Sox have one of Giolito or Kopech, but not both.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 02:11 PM)
He got that info from the Baltimore side of things and I still don't trust it. I think it's a ploy to get other teams to up their offers.

Most leaks this early in the process are typically strategic, which supports what you’re saying. Trading Kopech for Machado is most certainly robbing Peter to pay Paul, so I just can’t see it happening. The same applies to Giolito to a lesser extent.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 11:10 AM)
Watching MLBN now, Rosenthal just said that the Sox are most aggressive in their pursuit of Machado. Mentioned that Baltimore management is on their back home and will talk to ownership in the next 24-48 hours about Machado trade talks.

Scary thing is that he said that the Sox have one of Giolito or Kopech, but not both.

Wow. I really hope this doesn't go down unless they're VERY confident that they will sign him to a 325+ | 10 year deal with opt outs at years 4, 6, and 8 - give him whatever the f*** he wants. Jeez - I'm gonna be like a crackhead until Monday. 🤦🏻‍♂🤦🏻‍♂🤦🏻‍♂

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)
Most leaks this early in the process are typically strategic, which supports what you’re saying. Trading Kopech for Machado is most certainly robbing Peter to pay Paul, so I just can’t see it happening. The same applies to Giolito to a lesser extent.

Ahhhhh - I finally see the context of this whole Peter / Paul analogy... Peter = Nationals & Red Sox... Paul = Os

I'm obviously lacking caffeine today.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)
When Nightengale says this stuff I typically blow it off, but when Rosenthal says it I listen.

But...that just sounds sooo much like conjecture. Can't imagine sox leaking that about Anderson.

Yeah, I definitely think the O's are pushing this in the media.