White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 05:31 PM)
Hearing nothing close with White Sox. Just talks here. And they won’t be trading top prospects for one year of Machado.

https://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien/status/940753574082105344

Aka: duh duh duh duh du duh. Duh duh duh duh duh duh. And duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh Machado.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 08:10 PM)
In a bidding war like this second place doesn't matter if you are the White Sox.

Of course, and I think KW and Hahn are probably having conversations about how that went down. IIRC, the animosity between KW and Boras stemmed from A-Rod not signing here. In 2000, the Sox were a young team that just won their division with the #1 farm system in baseball. KW was angry that he didn't have the opportunity to make his offer competitive. Do I think they would have beat Texas' offer? No, but I think they might have gone to 10/225, which might have gotten the job done because of team circumstances.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 06:34 PM)
What’s the most everyone would give up in a Machado trade assuming a 72 negotiating window?

I’d probably be willing to do something like Rutherford & Spencer Adams if I had to.

I’d do Cease and Dunning if I got the window.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 08:34 PM)
What’s the most everyone would give up in a Machado trade assuming a 72 negotiating window?

I’d probably be willing to do something like Rutherford & Spencer Adams if I had to.

Cease and Fulmer/Adams is where I personally would be at for a 72 hour window and in terms of a contract 350M with an opt out after 4 years and a complete NTC. Move him to short and move TA to 3B/OF

I would also be blowing up Miami for Yelich, going off of last years #'s his surplus value is roughly 95.5M. Move Abreu and Avisail for prospects add them to the offer.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 08:54 PM)
Cease and Fulmer/Adams is where I personally would be at for a 72 hour window and in terms of a contract 350M with an opt out after 4 years and a complete NTC. Move him to short and move TA to 3B/OF

I would also be blowing up Miami for Yelich, going off of last years #'s his surplus value is roughly 95.5M. Move Abreu and Avisail for prospects add them to the offer.

They want 2 arms for one year of Machado. With a window to negotiate and possibly come to a long-term deal, why would people think it wouldn't take more?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 08:50 PM)
Lol it wouldn't be that simple. If teams could get a window, the price goes up. Other teams could beat that.

How much is a team going to pay in prospects to then pay Machado market price? Obviously there’s value to having the negotiating window, just not sure what that price would be.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 08:58 PM)
How much is a team going to pay in prospects to then pay Machado market price? Obviously there’s value to having the negotiating window, just not sure what that price would be.

I don't really know but it just seems like that could be beat. Say by the Cardinals for example who almost just took on majority of the Stanton deal. Fulmer and Cease just seems low as it seems both seem more destined to be relievers than starters long-term.

Edit: eh I shouldn't have said that about Fulmer but his value isn't high at all currently anyway.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 07:00 PM)
I don't really know but it just seems like that could be beat. Say by the Cardinals for example who almost just took on majority of the Stanton deal. Fulmer and Cease just seems low as it seems both seem more destined to be relievers than starters long-term.

Granting a negotiating window does not equate to some notion of surplus value or control, however. I understand it provides additional leverage for the Os but it doesn’t exactly equate to Machado + years and years of affordable control. Dunning and Cease are two valuable commodities that greatly exceed what the Yankees just gave up for Stanton.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 12, 2017 -> 09:07 PM)
Granting a negotiating window does not equate to some notion of surplus value or control, however. I understand it provides additional leverage for the Os but it doesn’t exactly equate to Machado + years and years of affordable control. Dunning and Cease are two valuable commodities that greatly exceed what the Yankees just gave up for Stanton.

Eh I still say it can get beat. O's would pretty much have to take different kinds of offers with teams: straight one year rental and then offers with a negotiating window. And then weigh which offer they think is the best and then go through the negotiation window stage. Personally, I think it's moot since Machado probably wants to go to free agency.