White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 18, 2017 -> 11:16 PM)
That’s now eight teams who have enquired about Machado, six of which putting offers in front of the #Orioles. Popular.

https://twitter.com/DanClarkSports/status/942980240241975296

Diamondbacks also in on #Machado - one of the bigger offers to date including position player(s), a mid-rotation arm, and multiple prospects.

https://twitter.com/DanClarkSports/status/942979939032117248

Sounds like a lot on the surface, but it’s probably Jake Lamb (3 years), Patrick Corbin (1 year), & a couple middling prospects. I’d love for the Orioles to accept that, because there is no chance in hell the Diamondbacks can afford Machado long-term.

What’s really shocking to me is that Orioles fans want to trade Machado and still somehow compete against the Yankees & Red Sox. They should just be blowing the whole damn thing up and acquiring as much high ceiling talent as possible. I have a feeling their fanbase is going to be extremely dissapointed with the eventual return if the requirement is major league pieces or prospects on the cusp.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 06:41 AM)
Drury is involved, not Lamb. I think that package is better than Cease and Adams :)

I haven’t seen that anywhere (these all rumors anyways), but I’d probably prefer Cease & Adams. At least Cease offers star potential if he hits. If you swap Adams for Fulmer I think it’s no doubt a better deal unless you really believe in Drury.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 08:07 AM)
I haven’t seen that anywhere (these all rumors anyways), but I’d probably prefer Cease & Adams. At least Cease offers star potential if he hits. If you swap Adams for Fulmer I think it’s no doubt a better deal unless you really believe in Drury.

I tend to ignore most of these "inside sources" rumors. Did we see accurate rumors of the Stanton deal as it ended up before it happened?

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 07:17 AM)
I tend to ignore most of these "inside sources" rumors. Did we see accurate rumors of the Stanton deal as it ended up before it happened?

Oh I agree, but the Diamondbacks rumor actually makes some sense to me form AZ’s perspective. Move some spare parts and get a huge upgrade in Machado in a going for it season and then recoup a draft pick next offseason. I just don’t see why on earth Baltimore would want those pieces.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 07:39 AM)
Oh I agree, but the Diamondbacks rumor actually makes some sense to me form AZ’s perspective. Move some spare parts and get a huge upgrade in Machado in a going for it season and then recoup a draft pick next offseason. I just don’t see why on earth Baltimore would want those pieces.

This entire thread is built on the premise Baltimore would be giving Machado away for practically nothing.

Ralph, i.e. Jim Bowden (https://deadspin.com/jim-bowden-caught-stealing-from-fake-twitter-account-d-1614081824) is claiming to know things that seem concievable

https://twitter.com/JimBowdenGM/status/943167265108824066

Jim Bowden ‏

@JimBowdenGM

31m31 minutes ago

More

8 teams have made trade offers to the Orioles for Manny Machado but sources doubt that ownership will approve a trade even if recommended by GM Dan Duquette

edit: obviously seems realistic but also Jim Bowden doesn't have sources.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 07:17 AM)

I believe we did see accurate rumors. Everyone had him going to either Cardinals or SF, and apparently he declined the trade to the Cardinals after it was agreed upon.

Bruce Levine piping in has me more confident than ever this deal is dead.

Sorry but last week we heard they had deals good enough to bring to ownership, and it didn’t happen. Now they are still waiting for a deal they like? It ain’t happening, this thing is dead. At least from White Sox perspective.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 04:44 PM)
James Fox‏

@JamesFox917

5m5 minutes ago

More

So @MLBBruceLevine says #Orioles asked the #Cubs for Javier Baez in exchange for Machado. I think he stays in Baltimore. They missed the boat on dealing him if they are asking for guys like that in return.

Why wouldn't the cubs make that move?

James Fox‏

@JamesFox917

5m5 minutes ago

More

So @MLBBruceLevine says #Orioles asked the #Cubs for Javier Baez in exchange for Machado. I think he stays in Baltimore. They missed the boat on dealing him if they are asking for guys like that in return.

At this point they should take anything they value higher than a Top 50 pick in the 2019 draft.

James Fox‏

@JamesFox917

5m5 minutes ago

More

I would have done something involving Baez.... I just don't think he is THAT good, but that's jmo.

Edited by Soxnfins

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 11:02 PM)
Oh well, now we just hope the Sox throw the most money at him next year and that he's a money talks kind of guy and not another "Gotta play for the Yankees" kind of superstar.

Usually, those are one and the same. Most money=Yankees/Dodgers.

There are other 30 something veterans (like we're seeing signing with the Warriors or Cavs) who are going to sign with the Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers/Cubs for less than market value for a shot at a ring, and those might be more helpful pick-ups (the finishing touches around the young core of talent) in the overall scheme of things than overbidding for one or two superstars.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 19, 2017 -> 04:52 PM)
Bruce Levine piping in has me more confident than ever this deal is dead.

Sorry but last week we heard they had deals good enough to bring to ownership, and it didn’t happen. Now they are still waiting for a deal they like? It ain’t happening, this thing is dead. At least from White Sox perspective.

Good I was hoping we wouldn’t make that mistake.

I don’t think any top tier players will sign here until most of the roster is in place.