White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 21, 2017 -> 03:10 PM)
I used to see photos and videos of Alexei pumping iron and working hard in the offseason. Then the season would roll around and he still looked like he spent the entire winter on a deserted island looking for some berries.

I just laughed out loud.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 21, 2017 -> 01:45 PM)
I mean, I think that's a really great package. I'm not saying it's garbage. My initial reaction is simply to the comment that it's comparable to the "desired 2016" Sale package of Moncada/Devers/Kopech, and it just isn't. That's all I'm trying to say.

1) The initial post had a +, meaning that the intended package included at least one additional player..

2) While Moncada was a much better first piece than current Giolito, I think Robert and Hansen today are more attractive secondary pieces than Kopech and Devers were last year around this time. I think you're forgetting that at this time last year, there were significant questions about Kopech. He was coming off of a self-inflicted season ending injury, and hadn't been above A ball. Devers hadn't been above A ball, either.

3) Sale is better and more valuable than Yelich by a large margin, and he didn't even bring Moncada/Kopech/Devers. We shouldn't even be talking about anything close to the Sale package for Yelich, let alone something more valuable.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 21, 2017 -> 04:10 PM)
I used to see photos and videos of Alexei pumping iron and working hard in the offseason. Then the season would roll around and he still looked like he spent the entire winter on a deserted island looking for some berries.

HAHAHAHAHA that comment had me laughing at my computer

I absolutely want the Sox to try to sign Machado or Harper but it's still more of a longshot considering the Dodgers, Yankees, Cubs, Red Sox will be in on them. Which is exactly why Sox should be trading for someone like Yelich -i.e. a cost-controlled position player - that they can plug into their lineup as a certainty for 6-7 years. Considering the (likely) possibility of not signing a stud FA, I'd rather the Sox were proactive in acquiring young cost-controlled star talent rather than be left holding the bag next December/January and trying to find second tier free agents to spend on just to spend. Obviously, the cost has to be taken into consideration (no Eloy, Kopech, Moncada). In looking at FG's annual "Trade Value" series, only two position players stick out as possible candidates (i.e. a seller would be willing to trade them) - Yelich and Michael Conforto.

I wonder if up and coming young stars are going to start waiting on signing that early contract like Harper, Machado, Correa, Betts, Lindor, Bryant, Seager did/are doing because they'll see the crazy amount of money they can get if they wait. This would make it harder for Sox or any other team to try to acquire talent cheaply.

QUOTE (pablo @ Dec 21, 2017 -> 03:53 PM)
I absolutely want the Sox to try to sign Machado or Harper but it's still more of a longshot considering the Dodgers, Yankees, Cubs, Red Sox will be in on them. Which is exactly why Sox should be trading for someone like Yelich -i.e. a cost-controlled position player - that they can plug into their lineup as a certainty for 6-7 years. Considering the (likely) possibility of not signing a stud FA, I'd rather the Sox were proactive in acquiring young cost-controlled star talent rather than be left holding the bag next December/January and trying to find second tier free agents to spend on just to spend. Obviously, the cost has to be taken into consideration (no Eloy, Kopech, Moncada). In looking at FG's annual "Trade Value" series, only two position players stick out as possible candidates (i.e. a seller would be willing to trade them) - Yelich and Michael Conforto.

I wonder if up and coming young stars are going to start waiting on signing that early contract like Harper, Machado, Correa, Betts, Lindor, Bryant, Seager did/are doing because they'll see the crazy amount of money they can get if they wait. This would make it harder for Sox or any other team to try to acquire talent cheaply.

The great thing about 2019 is if you don't get Machado or Harper, there's always Arenado in 2020. Those teams can't get them all.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 21, 2017 -> 03:07 PM)
If that's the case, despite what you may think, they would have been left holding the bag if they traded for him. They can sell him on the same crap you think gave him a 75% chance of staying if they traded for him when they meet with him next November.

You can't sell someone on an experience they never had. They wanted him to form bonds with players, staff, and management while he was here, so that if money were equal he may say "these guys are gonna be good, are paying me, and I like the clubhouse." They can't give him that experience trying to just sign him. All he can do is say they are paying like the Yankees, but they aren't like the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, and Dodgers. We don't have a chance to make an impression on him. I think he's like Abreu, Castillo, Moncada, and even Renteria.

Edited by SonofaRoache

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2017 -> 03:09 PM)
The White Sox are going to go into next season sitting there with a team payroll of

We have the money, we don't have the ready made team. That's why I said they have the money and ready made teams. Our team is in rebuild and next year we could have potential but we wont know until 2019 where we truly stand.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 21, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
I said these guys were "top ten types."

No, you said.

"Moncada/Kopech/Devers are all top ten overall prospects."

Not only is that different, but they were never top 10 prospects at the same time, which was my point. The value of trading those 3 guys together right now (obviously impossible) versus trading those 3 guys together 1 year ago is not the same. Kopech hadn't taken that next step yet. He was less proven, less of a sure thing, and certainly not widely regarded as a top prospect.

Just in terms of similar rankings, you could equate that trio a year ago to the current trio of Eloy, Kopech, and Robert.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 21, 2017 -> 04:10 PM)

Also dropping by to give props for this.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 21, 2017 -> 09:28 PM)
No, you said.

"Moncada/Kopech/Devers are all top ten overall prospects."

Not only is that different, but they were never top 10 prospects at the same time, which was my point. The value of trading those 3 guys together right now (obviously impossible) versus trading those 3 guys together 1 year ago is not the same. Kopech hadn't taken that next step yet. He was less proven, less of a sure thing, and certainly not widely regarded as a top prospect.

Just in terms of similar rankings, you could equate that trio a year ago to the current trio of Eloy, Kopech, and Robert.

Which is very much NOT Giolito, Hansen, and Robert. Right?

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 22, 2017 -> 08:43 AM)
White Sox: Machado Mania, and Three Truths Revealed from the Last Week #WhiteSox #MLB https://t.co/FdYuVdH2Y0 https://t.co/XGlyrylzgv

https://twitter.com/TheLoop_Sports/status/943988463535382534

"Hahn was going to offer only what he saw as expendable for the better of the franchise, and if that was Lucas Giolito and/or Dylan Cease, then it would have been worth it."

I'm pretty certain that Soxtalk would hate the idea of giving up both Giolito and Cease for only one guaranteed season of Machado. Cease is a guy the Sox really should get a better look at in 2018 to see what they have in him. Giolito may not have #1 starter upside, but I don't think he is far off being a solid #3 with 6 seasons of control left.

Machado is certainly the prize and the piece that the Sox rebuild is gunning for, but if the O's won't deal him there is nothing we can do.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 22, 2017 -> 10:22 AM)
"Hahn was going to offer only what he saw as expendable for the better of the franchise, and if that was Lucas Giolito and/or Dylan Cease, then it would have been worth it."

I'm pretty certain that Soxtalk would hate the idea of giving up both Giolito and Cease for only one guaranteed season of Machado. Cease is a guy the Sox really should get a better look at in 2018 to see what they have in him. Giolito may not have #1 starter upside, but I don't think he is far off being a solid #3 with 6 seasons of control left.

Machado is certainly the prize and the piece that the Sox rebuild is gunning for, but if the O's won't deal him there is nothing we can do.

I can confidently say I'd have hated it the most, but if RH wound up with Machado signed long term I'd understand it.

If RH did that and Machado wound up in pinstripes in 2019 I'd be bringing it up in so many threads that everyone here would hate the deal because they're sick of reading how bad it was and how RH should have been fired for it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
Jon Morosi‏Verified account @jonmorosi 3m3 minutes ago Source: #Orioles continue to hear from multiple teams interested in trading for Manny Machado. It does not appear Orioles have a firm deadline on negotiations. @MLB @MLBNetwork

O's are trying so hard lol.