White Sox have shown interest in Machado

peppers312

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)
Yelich should bring back a few legit prospects so I don't see the fit here. 25, 5 years left of control and more pop in his bat than Eaton. Like I said above, it takes more than that deal.

In theory, yes it should. Remember we are dealing with a fire sale Marlins organization right now and Yelich will be requesting a trade. They essentially have to trade him or they will have a very upset player on their hands.

The Sox did not have to deal Eaton unless the return was great, I can't say the same for the Marlins and Yelich now as they have lost leverage.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 01:27 PM)
In theory, yes it should. Remember we are dealing with a fire sale Marlins organization right now and Yelich will be requesting a trade. They essentially have to trade him or they will have a very upset player on their hands.

The Sox did not have to deal Eaton unless the return was great, I can't say the same for the Marlins and Yelich now as they have lost leverage.

You know this how? He kinda just has to shutup and play honestly. I don't remember him being outspoken towards the Marlins like Stanton has like every year the past few years.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 02:33 PM)
You know this how? He kinda just has to shutup and play honestly. I don't remember him being outspoken towards the Marlins like Stanton has like every year the past few years.

Yelich is not going to want to stick around during a rebuild. Having an unhappy player in the clubhouse would not be a good thing at all.

Joel Sherman‏Verified account

@Joelsherman1

9m9 minutes ago

More

Alcantara is big piece going to #Marlins in 4-player package, hear other 3 are minor leaguers of less ilk #Stlcards

Wow, if Alcantara is the best piece heading to the Marlins I am calling right now about Yelich^

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)
Yelich is not going to want to stick around during a rebuild. Having an unhappy player in the clubhouse would not be a good thing at all.

Joel Sherman‏Verified account

@Joelsherman1

9m9 minutes ago

More

Alcantara is big piece going to #Marlins in 4-player package, hear other 3 are minor leaguers of less ilk #Stlcards

Wow, if Alcantara is the best piece heading to the Marlins I am calling right now about Yelich^

It will have 0 effect on his trade value as most teams would want him. He has no say in where he can go (like Stanton) so it doesn't matter if he says he wants to get dealt or not. He just has to go out there and play, whether he is happy or not. I doubt we read an article headlined: "Yelich unhappy with Marlins" in coming months. You didn't hear Q complain when he was in the same situation or any other leftover veteran on a rebuilding team.

Edited by soxfan2014

On its face, these aren't the impact players you'd expect coming back in these deals. I do have respect for the talent evaluators coming from the yanks and are on the marlins now, so these may end up making sense.

But, as I've said before, I'm so glad the white sox struck when they did. They pushed out the best assets when there was little competition and the best teams were stocked with prospects ready to push themselves over the top.

Marlins have been dealing with teams with much worse farms, under much more desperate circumstances.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 01:43 PM)
White Sox seem to be better negotiators than the Marlins

It would certainly appear to be that way. To be fair, prior to this year, Ozuna had been as streaky as they come, so I'm sure that plays a part in this as well.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 01:48 PM)
On its face, these aren't the impact players you'd expect coming back in these deals. I do have respect for the talent evaluators coming from the yanks and are on the marlins now, so these may end up making sense.

But, as I've said before, I'm so glad the white sox struck when they did. They pushed out the best assets when there was little competition and the best teams were stocked with prospects ready to push themselves over the top.

Marlins have been dealing with teams with much worse farms, under much more desperate circumstances.

This rebuild was absolutely calculated and virtually everything taken into consideration.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 02:53 PM)
It would certainly appear to be that way. To be fair, prior to this year, Ozuna had been as streaky as they come, so I'm sure that plays a part in this as well.

This rebuild was absolutely calculated and virtually everything taken into consideration.

Different situations for sure, but I feel so bad for anyone that calls themselves a Marlins fan right now. From Fernandez' death, to completely gutting the team for what I consider to be a mediocre return (for now), the Marlins have become an embarrassment.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 01:55 PM)
Different situations for sure, but I feel so bad for anyone that calls themselves a Marlins fan right now. From Fernandez' death, to completely gutting the team for what I consider to be a mediocre return (for now), the Marlins have become an embarrassment.

They went from awful owners to somehow worse owners as well.

I thank the baseball gods everyday that we pulled the trigger on our rebuild when we did because we are now kicking it off with a f***ton of talent and should only endure two or three non-competitive seasons if things go as planned. The Marlins are easily looking at a 5 plus year rebuild based on what they got in their first three big trades. Rebuilding is always going to be far more risky/painful when relying on draft picks rather than semi-proven minor leaguers.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 02:03 PM)
I thank the baseball gods everyday that we pulled the trigger on our rebuild when we did because we are now kicking it off with a f***ton of talent and should only endure two or three non-competitive seasons if things go as planned. The Marlins are easily looking at a 5 plus year rebuild based on what they got in their first three big trades. Rebuilding is always going to be far more risky/painful when relying on draft picks rather than semi-proven minor leaguers.

Tigers and Royals also have a long road ahead of them. Great timing indeed.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)
They went from awful owners to somehow worse owners as well.

I don't think these new owners are worse. It was a s***ty situation and new ownership has to start somewhere. They are in the process of building equity. The sale of the Astros was finalized in November of 2011. I don't believe their financial situation was quite as dire, but they cut $16 million from 2011 to 2012, and then cut $34 million from 2012 to 2013, as their ending payroll in 2013 was $29 million.

To start to become profitable again, the Marlins needed to save money elsewhere, and that involves trading away guys who make a lot of money. It sucks, but it is what it is.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 02:07 PM)
I don't think these new owners are worse. It was a s***ty situation and new ownership has to start somewhere. They are in the process of building equity. The sale of the Astros was finalized in November of 2011. I don't believe their financial situation was quite as dire, but they cut $16 million from 2011 to 2012, and then cut $34 million from 2012 to 2013, as their ending payroll in 2013 was $29 million.

To start to become profitable again, the Marlins needed to save money elsewhere, and that involves trading away guys who make a lot of money. It sucks, but it is what it is.

That's true.

The astros on the other hand had the benefit at the time of a much more exploitable latin american signing period and comp draft pick structure. The marlins will not be able to add the sheer number of players the astros did as easily.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 03:13 PM)
The astros on the other hand had the benefit at the time of a much more exploitable latin american signing period and comp draft pick structure. The marlins will not be able to add the sheer number of players the astros did as easily.

Very true, with the new international free agency rules in place it makes it much harder for a rebuilding club to scoop up tons of young talent.

With the Nationals being strong, Braves on the rise, Phillies already into their rebuild, the Marlins face a tough road ahead. I like the White Sox outlook much more.

Machado makes no sense- that's pure wishcasting to believe that 1 year of his services would substantively help the Sox.

Yelich makes some sense (although one might wonder why trade Eaton then) - could possibly turn Abreu/Avi into Yelich with a 3 or 4-way deal.

And the other thing is that Machado did have a lousy year last year; certainly would like to see a substantive rebound from that before going all in.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 03:18 PM)
Machado makes no sense- that's pure wishcasting to believe that 1 year of his services would substantively help the Sox.

Yelich makes some sense (although one might wonder why trade Eaton then) - could possibly turn Abreu/Avi into Yelich with a 3 or 4-way deal.

And the other thing is that Machado did have a lousy year last year; certainly would like to see a substantive rebound from that before going all in.

I agree with that. Another season like 2017 and I think teams might pump the brakes a bit on giving him a mega contract. His age will ensure he gets paid, but another (2.8 - 3.5 WAR) season might end up costing him as teams weigh whether that is worth $30+ million per year. If Machado puts up a big year expect his price to skyrocket.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)
Brittany Ghiroli @Britt_Ghiroli

49s

#Orioles making “good progress” on Machado trade. More than 5 teams interested at Degrees.

Brittany Ghiroli‏Verified account

@Britt_Ghiroli

19s19 seconds ago

More

Duq didn’t dismiss division rival trade. Said they talked to all interested to gauge market.

Wouldn't it be crazy if the Yankees grabbed him? Just a one year rental, but still.