Star Wars: The Last Jedi *SPOILERS* Thread

bmags

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, you know as disappointed as I am that they can't make tighter scripts, I have to say I'm more excited to see this again than I ever was to see TFA.

However I was excited to see Rogue One again and man it was hard to get through the first 2/3s.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 21, 2017 -> 03:27 PM)
-Not really a complaint about this movie, but watching Luke and Leia together for that one short scene, I think we’re going to look back in 10 years and realize what a mistake it was to not put Han, Luke and Leia back together at least once on screen. They had the opportunity, and didn’t make it happen.

That's a great point. It seems like the plan was to have one movie focus on each character and their death. 7 was Han and his death. 8 featured a lot of Luke and included his "death." If 9 was supposed to be all about Leia, damn that sucks, but we can only assume she will die in it.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 21, 2017 -> 06:49 PM)
That's a great point. It seems like the plan was to have one movie focus on each character and their death. 7 was Han and his death. 8 featured a lot of Luke and included his "death." If 9 was supposed to be all about Leia, damn that sucks, but we can only assume she will die in it.

Kathleen Kennedy indicated 9 was going to heavily feature Leia.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 21, 2017 -> 06:36 PM)
Honestly, it would be ideal if 9 takes place like a year or two after the events of 8, she is killed in the scroll to open 9, “the resistance is recovering from the loss of their leader after xyz”

I feel like it will bother me if they stretch it out and we know she’ll never be there

Or worse if they go the CGI character route...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mark-hamill-rips...-145123576.html

Hamill had creative differences with Rian Johnson about Luke.

Its an interesting take because in reality it was TFA that had Luke "quitting" and running off to the other side of the galaxy. It makes me think that during TFA Hamill must have been told about future ideas, and then Johnson came in and went in a different direction.

Another thing Ive been thinking about is that for all the complaints about Disney, this movie actually was the complete opposite of how Disney usually has movies end. I have to imagine Disney would have loved to have Luke and Han Solo in every film, those character guarantee box office results.

(Edit)

Going to add this link in as well because no need for a triple post:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/star-wa...-181545618.html

So a large training scene was cut where Luke begins to articulate old jedi v new jedi. I think that as more stuff comes out people may begin to get more angry about how this film was edited. To me it seems like this training scene may have been more important to the entire context than some of the fluff they kept in.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 22, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
I see why they could go that route, but to have the character of Leia have to be killed off outside of a movie and within the opening scroll seems off. I trust JJ though.

I think id start the movie with her funeral and somehow connect Luke's ascension to the force with her death.

The movie was wildly inconsistent. It had good moments but a lot of not good or just unnecessary moments and was just very splintered together. Probably one of, if not the worst, star wars movies I've seen (and I'm a fan of Starwars). None of this had anything to do with the death of Luke. Just a really poor story as a whole that didn't capitalize on the momentum of some really good scenes / fights. The first hour plus of the movie left me going...really...and thinking this is really cheesy and forced more than anything else.

1. Who was the old man at the beginning of TFA? How did he have a map to Luke?

2. Why was there a map to Luke? Who made it? Doesn't its existence mean Luke wanted to be found?

3. How does Rey know how to fly a spaceship like the Falcon better than professionally-trained Stormtrooper pilots?

4. Wasn't it too coincidental that Han was flying in the very orbit of the planet where the Falcon was being kept? Was he in fact keeping an eye on Rey from afar? Why would he ask a stranger to be his co-pilot after just meeting her?

5. How does Rey know the Wookie language?

6. Why did Snoke emphasize that BB8 was hiding with "a girl?" Why did Kylo react the way he did by saying "What Girl?" Doesn't that imply they know of her and her powers already?

7. Why does Finn defect after being trained his whole life as a Stormtrooper? Is he Force-sensitive?

8. Where did Snoke come from? How do Luke, Leia, and Han know him? Why did they let him influence Ben Solo? How could he influence Ben to turn against his own parents and family? If Han and Leia knew Snoke was manipulating Ben, why did Luke only learn of his evil mind that one night and try to murder him?

9. Where did this First Order come from? Why is the galaxy welcoming another authoritarian dictatorship after clearly celebrating the birth of a new democracy at the end of RotJ?

10. Why did Leia's Resistance have to be so small and on the down-low? Why couldn't they openly declare themselves an army of the New Republic fighting the potential rise of a new evil empire?

11. What happened to the Knights of Ren? Weren't they supposed to help overthrow Luke?

12. Why did Captain Phasma give up so easily at the first hint of danger?

13. How does Rey know the Jedi mind trick?

14. What is Kylo's obsession with Darth Vader? Why would he admire Vader when he knows from his own parents and uncle that Anakin Skywalker turned back to the light? What about Vader is he trying to emulate?

15. How did Maz get Luke's original lightsaber?

16. What's up with the scene where Maz asks Han, "So who's the girl?" and Han looks her in the eye and the scene cuts away. Further implication that he knows something secret about Rey.

16. If Rey is just a nobody, then why would Luke's lightsaber "call" to her?

Why does Rey have the vision when she touches the lightsaber? Why is Obi Wan's voice a part of that vision?

17. Why does Leia act like she knows Rey when they first meet? A general hugging a perfect stranger? Weird.

18. Why does C3PO have the red arm that he's so self-conscious about?

19. Why does R2D2 awaken the moment Rey is in his presence?

20. Why did Luke run away?

Some nerd posted this at the previously cited Hamill critical of TLJ’s version of Luke Skywalker

I can't find the post, but I remember someone saying upon second viewing the highs felt higher and the lows felt lower. I agree with this. I found myself dying to see the light speed into the command ship scene, but also any other time purple hair was on screen I hated everything about it.

Something else I noticed the second time that I didn't the first time: When Leia tells Poe to call off the attack while he's trying to take out the last cannon on the dreadnought, he turns off his communicator. The rest of the fleet keeps on coming without any directive from Poe. Why doesn't Leia just tell the rest of them to call off the attack? Did the resistance general only have communication to one person during a mission? I'm getting in the weeds, but it bothered me a bit.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 10:15 AM)
I'm wondering how a cannon from a Death Star that destroyed an entire planet in IV and Rogue One, barely cut a 6 foot hole in a door.

They only referred to it as "Death star technology", so similar design. Much smaller.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 09:15 AM)
I'm wondering how a cannon from a Death Star that destroyed an entire planet in IV and Rogue One, barely cut a 6 foot hole in a door.

You're ignoring the bigger issue - the entire movie was based on the idea that the First Order had no ships capable of going a LITTLE bit faster than their canon ship. So this big, universe-controlling force was stuck in a tortoise race with three rebel ships...