White Sox Rule 5 Draft Preview (and Rule 5 discussion thread)

NorthSideSox72

Great write-up! I think Reyes is the only guy they consider if they go the positon player route and even that would be a surprise. I just don’t see us taking a catcher with the addition of Castillo and Collins & Zavala hopefully both in AA.

I do think you’re spot on about potentially taking two arms though. As you pointed out we simply need more options to fill out a bullpen and 2018 would be the perfect year to give a couple not fully developed flame-throwers an extended opportunity with Cooper. And I really hope Burdi is one of those guys.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 11:36 AM)
Burdi is who I would be all over. His injury actually positions us in a good position to get him and not need to stash him on the active roster as long. McCullough / Coshow are worthwhile too.

I don't see it that way. They'll still need to keep in on the roster the same amount of time next year instead of this year. The only difference is this is more of a throwaway year than next year will be. Still I won't argue against drafting him

QUOTE (credezcrew24 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 11:50 AM)
I don't see it that way. They'll still need to keep in on the roster the same amount of time next year instead of this year. The only difference is this is more of a throwaway year than next year will be. Still I won't argue against drafting him

He gets 30 days on the minor leagues (from a rehab perspective...which is nice) and then you only need only 90 active days on the roster (3 months..vs the entire season). This essentially means you don't need to carry him on your active 25 man roster the vast majority of the season...just 90 days and you could actually spread it over the 2 years. I really like the idea of Burdi either way, the flexibility is just an extra plus.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)
He gets 30 days on the minor leagues (from a rehab perspective...which is nice) and then you only need only 90 active days on the roster (3 months..vs the entire season). This essentially means you don't need to carry him on your active 25 man roster the vast majority of the season...just 90 days and you could actually spread it over the 2 years. I really like the idea of Burdi either way, the flexibility is just an extra plus.

Yeah, he is a perfect guy to pick up. The only reasons we shouldn't take Burdi are if someone else take him before us or his brother gives us some inside info about him not returning to form.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 02:18 PM)
Yeah, he is a perfect guy to pick up. The only reasons we shouldn't take Burdi are if someone else take him before us or his brother gives us some inside info about him not returning to form.

I dont think his own brother is going to tell the Sox to shy away.

Henry SchulmanVerified account @hankschulman #sfgiants are listening to offers for their No. 2 slot in Thursday's Rule 5 draft. Usually those are swapped for cash. Giants have not decided to deal it or not. 1 reply 1 retweet 1 like

James Fox‏ @JamesFox917 18m18 minutes ago I've heard that #WhiteSox have their eye on two players tomorrow. They could be in play here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 03:53 PM)

Henry SchulmanVerified account @hankschulman #sfgiants are listening to offers for their No. 2 slot in Thursday's Rule 5 draft. Usually those are swapped for cash. Giants have not decided to deal it or not. 1 reply 1 retweet 1 like

James Fox‏ @JamesFox917 18m18 minutes ago I've heard that #WhiteSox have their eye on two players tomorrow. They could be in play here.

Come on Yimmy, give us some names!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 10:04 AM)
Also of note, the Sox don't lose anyone in the major league portion of the draft. Guerrero, Peter, Walsh and company all stay put.

That is the best thing to come out of the rule five draft for the Sox to be honest. Now Guerrero can develop at AAA and remain in the organization. Peter could be a decent utility guy?