Brewers Acquire Christian Yelich & sign Lorenzo Cain

GGajewski18

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 23, 2017 -> 10:40 AM)
Absolutely. The sox should look but the price will probably be too high right now. A team closer to winning will outbid them.

His price will be high for the next 3 years. Even with 2 years of control, if he is still a great player the bidding war will be intense.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Marlins got hosed with the ozuna trade because they wanted to dump salary. Hahn needs to look hard at a yelich + prado trade. This would make things much more enticing for Machado. The sox can package a top prospect with some depth and make a good offer. Hopefully yelich demands a trade. He is definitely unhappy there.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 23, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)
I didn’t think ozuna trade was bad.

I agree. Anytime you get 3 pitching prospects (1 really good, 1 good and 1 flyer) in a deal, for one player it's a pretty good deal. They are cutting payroll to rebuild and acquiring young pitching is the way to go.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 23, 2017 -> 04:57 PM)
I agree. Anytime you get 3 pitching prospects (1 really good, 1 good and 1 flyer) in a deal, for one player it's a pretty good deal. They are cutting payroll to rebuild and acquiring young pitching is the way to go.

This just seems like a very oversimplistic way of evaluating a trade. The best prospect in the trade profiles as a reliever to most experts. That’s really not going to move the needle much even if he’s dominant. I personally think it was a pretty bad package due to the lack of a higher end centerpiece.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 22, 2017 -> 11:56 PM)
Let's revisit this trade in a year, when his trade value is lower, and the Sox might actually be ready to compete, and we also have a new batch of 2018 draftees to better supplement our system.

Not to be too pedantic, but drafts aren’t additive. Each year players either stay in the minors, go to the majors, or leave our system. Players age, so it’s incorrect to think a draft supplements a system. It can if the additions are better than what leaves, but it can also make it worse

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 23, 2017 -> 06:09 PM)
This just seems like a very oversimplistic way of evaluating a trade. The best prospect in the trade profiles as a reliever to most experts. That’s really not going to move the needle much even if he’s dominant. I personally think it was a pretty bad package due to the lack of a higher end centerpiece.

I don't agree. In general pitching is herder to get and cost more with a greater risk due to injury rate. I don't know where you get the Alcantara is rated as a reliever. Most experts I've read rate him as a #2 starter at worst a high end reliever. He just came up as a reliever for experience this past year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 23, 2017 -> 02:28 AM)
He's under control for 5 years. If he doesn't fit the timeline, the Sox are f***ed.

It's all about cost opportunity if the Sox are two years away then yes he doesn't fit the timeline unless his price is already depreciated as he will lose value as the amount of control lessens.

To put it in rough terms it's basically the difference between making a trade for Ozuna and making one for Eaton

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 23, 2017 -> 06:11 PM)
Not to be too pedantic, but drafts aren’t additive. Each year players either stay in the minors, go to the majors, or leave our system. Players age, so it’s incorrect to think a draft supplements a system. It can if the additions are better than what leaves, but it can also make it worse

All players in the majors and minors are in our "system". A draft only doesn't add to our system if we trade our guys or they flame out. I don't see us trading guys, and they are all too young to flame out.

Besides, we have the 4th pick. We gain more talent from the 2018 draft class, theoretically, than most teams.

Anyone else interested in Realmuto a little more than Yelich? I think he could be an anchor for our defense and lineup for years to come and could come at a cheaper price than Yelich. Maybe Cease+Collins+Dunning could work? Miami could sell it to fans as a couple of local (*Florida) kids coming back home in Collins and Dunning and it wouldn't deplete our system too much.

Edited by Bruce_Blixton

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 26, 2017 -> 10:08 AM)
I don't really want to trade any of our prospects yet. Let's revisit this in a year if he is still with Miami.

This. They're both great players, but it's a bit premature to go out and start trading away assets before you even know what you have in house. Give the kids another year and re-evaluate next offseason when the big FA's are available.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 28, 2017 -> 09:40 PM)
This. They're both great players, but it's a bit premature to go out and start trading away assets before you even know what you have in house. Give the kids another year and re-evaluate next offseason when the big FA's are available.

I agree in the sense that we want to see what we have in house because that's the most sustainable way towards winning but you could theoretically say that Yelich is like any prospect we have since the years of control are about as long. And I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket and say "We'll get a few of the big FA's next year or Arenado in 2019."

First, besides Harper and Machado, you're looking at a bunch of 30+ year old vets and trying to figure out who's going to be productive in their mid 30's is fool's gold. I love Donaldson, Pollock, Blackmon as much as anyone but signing two of them gets a little risky. If you trade for Yelich and then sign one of them it might be easier to stomach.

Secondly, I've mentioned this in another thread, but if you look through FG's annual trade value series, there are only a couple of cost-controlled position players that make sense in a trade - Yelich and Conforto. These opportunities to grab a young player like this don't come around too often. At the right cost, this make alot of sense to me.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 28, 2017 -> 10:40 PM)

Especially Cease.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 29, 2017 -> 10:22 AM)
#WhiteSox have had trade talks this offseason on both Manny Machado and Christian Yelich, but sources say they were not progressing toward a deal on either as of yesterday. @MLBNetwork @MLB

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/946739927395467264

I really am starting to get the feeling the White Sox not only want to make a winter splash, but might actually pull something off.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2017 -> 04:33 PM)
I really am starting to get the feeling the White Sox not only want to make a winter splash, but might actually pull something off.

I've felt for a month now Yelich will end up here along with Prado. It will clearly require a huge package and think it will be something like Hansen, Collins and Rutherford. Sign me up for that

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 29, 2017 -> 10:38 AM)
I've felt for a month now Yelich will end up here along with Prado. It will clearly require a huge package and think it will be something like Hansen, Collins and Rutherford. Sign me up for that

To be able to include Prado should give the Sox a leg up on some other teams - Dodgers, Astros, Rangers - who might be interested. The main competition here might be Braves and Phillies, but since both in NL East maybe that drives their price up too high?

Rutherford is interesting because Jeter's right hand man is Gary Denbo who he stole away from the Yankees. Maybe he loves Rutherford and uses him as a headliner? Then again, maybe he doesn't.

QUOTE (pablo @ Dec 29, 2017 -> 05:50 PM)
To be able to include Prado should give the Sox a leg up on some other teams - Dodgers, Astros, Rangers - who might be interested. The main competition here might be Braves and Phillies, but since both in NL East maybe that drives their price up too high?

Rutherford is interesting because Jeter's right hand man is Gary Denbo who he stole away from the Yankees. Maybe he loves Rutherford and uses him as a headliner? Then again, maybe he doesn't.

Or maybe he knows about Blake's struggles as he was involved in trading him

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 29, 2017 -> 10:38 AM)

That package seems a little light, but taking on Prado's contract should give them some flexibility. I wouldn't be upset over a deal like that.