Brewers Acquire Christian Yelich & sign Lorenzo Cain

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 06:47 PM)
They don't have to dump salary anymore. I think with all the heat Jeter took and Manfred took, they aren't trading anyone for anything less than a stellar package for a while.

That’s fine, but then really don’t have a direction. Being a bottom third team with a bottom third farm is usually a recipe for disaster.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 06:59 PM)
That’s fine, but then really don’t have a direction. Being a bottom third team with a bottom third farm is usually a recipe for disaster.

Hes under control for 5 more years. They can wait. Many people on here had said to wait on guys like Eaton and Q if we had to.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 06:31 PM)
This is how I look at a potential Yelich trade:

Moncada, Giolito, Lopez, Jimenez, Robert, Hansen, and Kopech are all off limits.

But after that, I think I would be willing to do about any 3 players, plus a lower level prospect.

So if they would accept something like: Rutherford, Cease, Dunning and Hickman, I would do that for sure.

They definitely would NOT accept that offer.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 06:59 PM)

I don't see where getting rid of their best asset for whatever they can get for him without holding out for something better, be it next week, next month, next year, gives them a better direction. If the Sox traded Q for whatever they could get last winter, the rebuild would be a little bit further back than what it is now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 05:52 PM)
If Cease does break out and the White Sox have no room for him - either we have 6 starters (frankly this isn't a bad thing) or Cease is a top flight trade candidate.

Take a look at the Mets for examples both ways. They had a need and a loaded pitching staff and traded Fulmer to the Tigers for Cespedes. This literally put the Mets in the World Series when they probably would have missed the playoffs without him.

On the other hand, after that season, the Mets young pitching staff all got hurt and they really could have used the extra arm.

On the other hand if bullpen prices continue to climb cease could be just as valuable in bullpen.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 11:12 AM)
On the other hand if bullpen prices continue to climb cease could be just as valuable in bullpen.

I will never think that your bullpen will be "Just as valuable" as your starters. 1/2 as valuable maybe. Teams are paying $15 million for a top of the line reliever right now and $30 million a year for a top of the line starter.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 09:41 AM)
I will never think that your bullpen will be "Just as valuable" as your starters. 1/2 as valuable maybe. Teams are paying $15 million for a top of the line reliever right now and $30 million a year for a top of the line starter.

I was actually referring to just as valuable in terms of trading him off. Easy to think he'd be a trade piece, but judging by the bullpen arms buildup, we may be better off trying to build from within than buying it.

But also, I don't think "top of line starter" vs "top of line reliever" is that informative. If cease would only be a 4th/5th starter but a top of line reliever, then he very well could be more valuable. Your case would rest on him being traded for a top of line starter and that probably wouldn't even be 1:1.

When sox get good, lets just hope they don't need to acquire significant parts of their bullpen.

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 06:49 PM)
The only reason that I would throw him in is because I am so high on Giolito, Kopech, Hansen and Lopez. I think there simply just wont be room for Cease by the time he is MLB ready.

And if that is true, it would be a good idea to deal him sooner before the White Sox have no leverage left with him. Obviously a good "problem" to have.

I have a feeling if Cease truly broke out and reached his potential, it would be someone else in our rotation who would be the odd man out.

IMO, the only way a Yelich trade or something similar makes sense is if the Sox are planning on shipping out Abreu + Avi to cover some portion of the cost. You’re basically trading 2 years of control in for 5 at that point, with a small hit to the farm.

It might seem counter-intuitive since you then waste a year or more of Yelich with a bad team but long-term the salary savings could be applied elsewhere, and it’d help balance the lineup out long-term. It’s a more cost-effective way to get ~80% of a Machado-type player (who still has additional upside) without the risk of a 10 year massive contract.

Don't love the timeline and would prefer more tanking but if it doesn't cost too much it would be worth considering. He would require 2-3 top100 guys and more but the marlins want to save money and the white sox have plenty of miney the next 2-3 years. Now the sox aren't a huge revenue team but there is so much money coming off that they could take on 20-30 and still have a super low payroll (like bottom 5).

So what would it take if the white sox take on the entire salary of chen and ziegler? That would be a lot of money but the sox payroll still wouldn't wouldn't exceed 70m and by the time they need the money those contracts are up.

Marlins would save like 40m in 2018 and still like 30 the next year (including yelichs salary) and white sox could get a big discount.

Still would take one top100 and a few lower prospects but no top30 prospect and probably no top50 either. Like one top80 and two 45s (like hansen/collins,sheets, cordell). The marlins fans would hate that but then again they already hate the marlins anyway:).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 09:02 AM)
I don't see where getting rid of their best asset for whatever they can get for him without holding out for something better, be it next week, next month, next year, gives them a better direction. If the Sox traded Q for whatever they could get last winter, the rebuild would be a little bit further back than what it is now.

Again, not disagreeing with anything your saying, but not every front office is going to be as patient as Hahn was. Nothing that Jeter & his staff could do would surprise me at this point.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 01:06 PM)
Again, not disagreeing with anything your saying, but not every front office is going to be as patient as Hahn was. Nothing that Jeter & his staff could do would surprise me at this point.

I don’t know...I’m not sure it’s wise to think that other GMs besides Hahn and a few others are not patient and know what they are doing. There are a few who need to go, but this day in age, the model for success has been illustrated and executed enough, that it takes the thinking part out for most GM’s. They know the nuances of their jobs just like we know ours. Now that it’s been proven that there’s an art to rebuilding, you’re going to see teams model theirs after what’s worked before you see a true fire sale where GMs essentially give away their organizational assets for nothing. I just think those days are behind us.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 12:23 PM)
I don’t know...I’m not sure it’s wise to think that other GMs besides Hahn and a few others are not patient and know what they are doing. There are a few who need to go, but this day in age, the model for success has been illustrated and executed enough, that it takes the thinking part out for most GM’s. They know the nuances of their jobs just like we know ours. Now that it’s been proven that there’s an art to rebuilding, you’re going to see teams model theirs after what’s worked before you see a true fire sale where GMs essentially give away their organizational assets for nothing. I just think those days are behind us.

It's not that they don't know what they're doing, it's more about not having the endless job security that comes with being a Reinsdorf front office. Some GMs are going to have much less leeway to be patient and will need to pick a direction to appease their owners.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 01:29 PM)
It's not that they don't know what they're doing, it's more about not having the endless job security that comes with being a Reinsdorf front office. Some GMs are going to have much less leeway to be patient and will need to pick a direction to appease their owners.

I can see that...

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 01:47 PM)
If the White Sox make a major move I would think it would happen before Soxfest which is in 2 weeks. I'm hoping something is done to make this team better for the 2018 season and beyond.

I remember alot of posters saying the same thing about Quintana last year. Just don't think the team operates like that. But would make for a fun SoxFest.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 11:28 AM)
Problem is we may have 3 years where his talent is wasted but if I were to put a true deal together for Yelich it would start with Robert.

I think the Sox view Moncada, Jimenez, Kopech, Robert and Hansen as untouchable parts of the rebuild right now.

If the Marlins are interested in a package built around Rutherford/Collins plus Dunning/Cease then I think a deal might be workable, but likely that would not be enough.

QUOTE (pablo @ Jan 5, 2018 -> 02:29 PM)
I remember alot of posters saying the same thing about Quintana last year. Just don't think the team operates like that. But would make for a fun SoxFest.

I don't think anything major like a trade would be held up for Soxfest, but over the years, they have made some signings lining up with the event. Kenny Lofton, AJP, and a few others. I know Iguchi was rumored and I think it happened just a couple of days after it. I remember KW in a seminar speaking about him without mentioning him. It was obvious he knew he was coming. But it does add a bit of flair to the festivities. Where they are at right now, who knows, maybe some interesting name reclimation project/flip candidate would be announced.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 08:20 AM)
I don't think anything major like a trade would be held up for Soxfest, but over the years, they have made some signings lining up with the event. Kenny Lofton, AJP, and a few others. I know Iguchi was rumored and I think it happened just a couple of days after it. I remember KW in a seminar speaking about him without mentioning him. It was obvious he knew he was coming. But it does add a bit of flair to the festivities. Where they are at right now, who knows, maybe some interesting name reclimation project/flip candidate would be announced.

Interesting! You are definitely right about AJP. He signed on 1/6/05 and the Sox put out a press release the next day that he was coming to SoxFest.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press...sp&c_id=cws

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 09:29 AM)
listening to the Garfein podcast, Phil Rogers is ready to unload the farm for Yelich. Some things never change

I'm going to listen to it in a bit. Seemed really strange to have a podcast about it? Obviously slow news period for the Sox but still.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 09:29 AM)
listening to the Garfein podcast, Phil Rogers is ready to unload the farm for Yelich. Some things never change

"The final package could look like this: Giolito (or Anderson), Cease, Rutherford and Collins." - Rogers

That package would be fireable offense for a GM to commit at this stage in the rebuild. Even if none of those players pan out it would be a terrible use of our farm assets. We don't have another viable SS prospect in the system, so Anderson is not going anywhere. Offering Giolito + Cease + Rutherford + Collins would be more than enough to land Chris Archer, let alone Christian Yelich.