Brewers Acquire Christian Yelich & sign Lorenzo Cain

GGajewski18

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 11:35 AM)
"The final package could look like this: Giolito (or Anderson), Cease, Rutherford and Collins." - Rogers

That package would be fireable offense for a GM to commit at this stage in the rebuild. Even if none of those players pan out it would be a terrible use of our farm assets. We don't have another viable SS prospect in the system, so Anderson is not going anywhere. Offering Giolito + Cease + Rutherford + Collins would be more than enough to land Chris Archer, let alone Christian Yelich.

Heck, I was thinking that'd be a very weird package for the Marlins to accept and you thought it'd be terrible for the White Sox. Every one of those guys seems to have their stock kinda low right now - who knows if Giolito can take his talent and turn it into production, Anderson had an awful year, Cease has great talent but has to prove he can stay healthy, Rutherford had a down year, Collins barely hit over .200 and had a strikeout and swing issues. The Marlins would be getting back 4 "you fix them" kinda guys. I'd have been furious with that return for Sale or Quintana.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pablo @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 09:35 AM)
I'm going to listen to it in a bit. Seemed really strange to have a podcast about it? Obviously slow news period for the Sox but still.

It’s a 40 minute podcast that discusses Yelich and the trade for Avilan and Soria

And Phil Rogers just brought up Yelich leading off for the Cubs

I have been non-stop thinking of trade proposals for Yelich. Thoughts on any of these:

1. Hansen, Dunning, Collins, Low Level Prospect.

2. Hansen, Cease, Rutherford, Collins.

3. Dunning, Cease, Rutherford, Adams, Low Level Prospect.

4. Giolito, Fulmer, Collins, Low Level Prospect.

5. Lopez, Cease, Fulmer, Rutherford.

Obviously I could go all day with this.

1. Which of these would White Sox accept?

2. Which of these would the Marlins accept?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 09:38 AM)
Heck, I was thinking that'd be a very weird package for the Marlins to accept and you thought it'd be terrible for the White Sox. Every one of those guys seems to have their stock kinda low right now - who knows if Giolito can take his talent and turn it into production, Anderson had an awful year, Cease has great talent but has to prove he can stay healthy, Rutherford had a down year, Collins barely hit over .200 and had a strikeout and swing issues. The Marlins would be getting back 4 "you fix them" kinda guys. I'd have been furious with that return for Sale or Quintana.

It's the quantity that bothers me most. We are still in the relatively early stages of our rebuild, and shipping out 4 of our top 15 prospects in one deal just is not smart at this stage.

Giolito appears capable of becoming a solid #3 starter, with the floor of a #4, Cease has had health issues, but still has a good arm, Rutherford's stock is down but I still feel this would be selling him very low, same goes for Collins

A year from now is the soonest we should be thinking about trading our prospects for mlb talent once we have a better idea of what we have.

This is a deal that could totally blow up in our faces if made

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 09:40 AM)
I have been non-stop thinking of trade proposals for Yelich. Thoughts on any of these:

1 and 2 hard pass, Hansen is close to being considered an untouchable prospect for the White Sox. 2 is fireable in my opinion, how is Zack Collins a fourth piece in a trade?

I would not feel great about any of these deals

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 10:40 AM)

I would not give up a lot but a Rutherford, Cease Adams, fulmer for sure. again you have to give up less and take on some other high salary players( Chen, etc) to make up for better prospects.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 09:47 AM)
1 and 2 hard pass, Hansen is close to being considered an untouchable prospect for the White Sox. 2 is fireable in my opinion, how is Zack Collins a fourth piece in a trade?

I would not feel great about any of these deals

I'd agree, I don't think I'd make any of those deals. More so because I'd rather focus on quality than quantity.

I have no problem dealing Hansen for Yelich - but it's got to be the understanding that he's a headliner and not a second piece. He's on his way to being a top 30 prospect by midseason with a good first half in AA.

For me - Hansen, Rutherford, Adams for Yelich.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 11:54 AM)
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2202512...er-hoping-trade

Apparently Starlin Castro is now asking to be traded from the Marlins.

Would it make sense to take on Castro's contract to lower the price for Yelich?

"Starlin, we know you dont want to be a part of a rebuild. So we are trading you to the White Sox"

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 11:54 AM)
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2202512...er-hoping-trade

Apparently Starlin Castro is now asking to be traded from the Marlins.

Would it make sense to take on Castro's contract to lower the price for Yelich?

With all the heat the Marlins and Commissioner's office has already taken, there is no way they are trading Yelich for a lesser package if the other team takes on some other money.

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 10:40 AM)

#5 is the only one that Marlins would seriously consider, IMO. And I think a contender would beat the offer.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 06:41 PM)
As much as I’d love to add Yelich, I can’t see us paying what would certainly be a steep price for him right now.

Pretty much. Would imagine it begins with us parting with one of Eloy or Kopech.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 07:54 PM)
Pretty much. Would imagine it begins with us parting with one of Eloy or Kopech.

The Sox wouldn't consider paying that high of a price, but with the highly strained relationship btw Yelich and management we might be able to get him at a discounted price. If the Sox could manage that I think it would be worth their while to get him.

QUOTE (Moncada @ Jan 16, 2018 -> 07:03 PM)
The Sox wouldn't consider paying that high of a price, but with the highly strained relationship btw Yelich and management we might be able to get him at a discounted price. If the Sox could manage that I think it would be worth their while to get him.

If there was no interest from other teams, sure.

I'm not super interested in having a good lineup while James shields is our ace in 2018.

I'm super interested in locking in key pieces for the next 5-7 years.

Hence, I'd still be down with moving Abreu and Avi, while adding Yelich.

It's all about 2020 and beyond there. With 2019 looking like a major step forward.

man, did the Marlins completely torpedo his value or what? Everyone knows the Marlins are trying to move him and now he doesnt want to be there anymore, they cant be shopping top shelf. What a disastrous first offseason for jeets