Brewers Acquire Christian Yelich & sign Lorenzo Cain

GGajewski18

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why they needed to sign Cain. Santana is cost-controlled and a much better hitter. Yelich can handle center field and Braun ain't going anywhere with that contract. If they gave Cain a contract till he's 36 only to use Santana as trade bait, it's a bad move.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 11:35 AM)
I'm not sure why they needed to sign Cain. Santana is cost-controlled and a much better hitter. Yelich can handle center field and Braun ain't going anywhere with that contract. If they gave Cain a contract till he's 36 only to use Santana as trade bait, it's a bad move.

Like I said above, maybe they think Cain is a better investment at $16m/yr than Arrieta or Darvish at $25m/yr over the same amount of time.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 10:33 AM)
The wait and see is knowing you have a surplus at outfielder vs the white sox anticipating they have a surplus at places, such as pitching before it is clear that they do.

As for Yelich, at 26 he should still provide long-term value as a CF whereas Dyson may make more sense to move to RF. Either way, they are getting a defensive upgrade over Santana.

You are right that if you look at zips, yelich is slated for a 113 wrc+, as is Santana. But they have two legitimate outfielders now, and they will need that defense because their pitching staff is going to be much more royals/astros than nationals.

Yelich is also the 10th best CF in fangraphs, who knows if he could be more valuable in RF a la Eaton. His arm will be a knock, however.

Just looking at UZR, Yelich has a career -5.9 UZR/150 in CF and a career 4.4 UZR/150 in LF, and given the positional adjustment is 10 runs from CF to the corners, it looks like a wash. You're right about the arm though if they stick him in RF instead. But I would expect any guy capable of playing CF to play good enough defense in the corners to offset the move to the less valuable defensive position and Eaton is a good example.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 01:11 PM)
Am I mistaken or is the Cain signing a pretty fair deal for the Brewers? I presume there is risk on the back-side (given age, etc) but early on, given his recent production (when he's healthy) he's been a 5 WAR+ guy which at $16M per year feels reasonable.

I just don't understand it when you have similar production in Santana for peanuts. Unless they have a deal locked up to trade Santana for pitching I don't really understand what they're doing.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 02:11 PM)
Am I mistaken or is the Cain signing a pretty fair deal for the Brewers? I presume there is risk on the back-side (given age, etc) but early on, given his recent production (when he's healthy) he's been a 5 WAR+ guy which at $16M per year feels reasonable.

That's my take as well. I'm not sure where the narrative of his decline is coming from -- dude's coming off a 4-win season in which he hit .300 and almost 20 homers. Seems to fit both the sabermetric and non-sabermetric standards for a good year.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 02:15 PM)
I just don't understand it when you have similar production in Santana for peanuts. Unless they have a deal locked up to trade Santana for pitching I don't really understand what they're doing.

I'm assuming they're pretty far along on moving Santana for pitching, and they simply decided they'd rather pay Cain $80mm than pay Darvish $120mm if it's going to net a similar upgrade.

But we'll see if that actually happens.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 01:15 PM)

They probably don't believe in Santana. I wouldn't blame them for that.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 02:11 PM)

It's not terrible on it's face the problem is the Brewers already had a set outfield and most of Cain value won't be realized if he doesn't play CF.

If I was a brewer fan I'd feel alot better with using the money on a SP. Or if I did sign Cain using the prospects I moved to get a starting pitcher. I doubt they'll get much for their spare OF parts unless they move santana which brings you back to the question why sign in the first place and instead use that money towards Yu or some other FA pitcher.

Domingo Santana is the Brewer's version of Avi. He's a terrible defender (actually worse than Avi), they have no DH spot to hide him, and he probably just had the best season he'll ever have in the bigs. He's not a great baseball player, and now is the time to sell high.

BUT 30 HOMERS!!!!!!!

Not sure I agree with the negativity on Cain. Fringe-CF guys with good arms often end up being spectacular RFs (see Eaton, Cutch to an extent) which can actually pump their value up a ton. Cain’s skill set is actually very similar to Eaton, with a bit more pop and slightly higher offensive upside.

QUOTE (Username @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 01:42 PM)
Not sure I agree with the negativity on Cain. Fringe-CF guys with good arms often end up being spectacular RFs (see Eaton, Cutch to an extent) which can actually pump their value up a ton. Cain’s skill set is actually very similar to Eaton, with a bit more pop and slightly higher offensive upside.

So then they're trading Braun? Still need a center fielder and currently have 4 corner OF'ers

So while not spectacular, Yellich is a center fielder. He may be less good than Cain, who is also a center fielder for now. Not sure where this corner outfielder stuff came from. They increased their CF production while = that defense, they improved their RF defense while = offensive production. They have upgraded.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 02:19 PM)
Bob Nightengale

Verified account

@BNightengale

1m1 minute ago

More

#Brewers GM David Stearns confirms that they have talked to Ryan Braun about the possibility of moving to first base.

Thames did see time in the OF last season. Would probably move into a backup 1B/corner OF role and pinch hit. Start at 1B when Braun gets hurt.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 02:19 PM)
Bob Nightengale

Verified account

@BNightengale

1m1 minute ago

More

#Brewers GM David Stearns confirms that they have talked to Ryan Braun about the possibility of moving to first base.

Against LHP, Braun would be at 1B for Thames I imagine.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 02:20 PM)
So confusing now.

Yelich

Cain

Santana

Braun

Broxton

Thames

for 4 spots

If this was the dodgers we wouldn't blink but here's what I would do.

- Platoon Thames and only play him vs Righties. Rotate him through OF and 1b.

- Most often OF with Santana - Cain - Yelich with Braun at 1b

Broxton as bench player with pop and defensive replacement for Santana.

Hopefully have a versatile INF but may need two, carry 12 pitchers. Or get by with 1 backup MI and carry 13 pitchers.