Brewers Acquire Christian Yelich & sign Lorenzo Cain

GGajewski18

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 03:01 PM)
Forget where I read and apologize if I misread. It was a few days ago via one of the sox beat guys. Clicked the link on twitter and read the article. don't remember which though...

I remember him reading that he said there are more moves to be made. Didn't elude to anything big like a Yelich, made it sound more like small deals from what I remember. But I remember thinking it was odd saying that the team wouldn't be as it's currently constructed in a few weeks. Seemed like an odd statement.

Again could have misread..

That article aside, I just have a feeling that Yelich is coming to the Southside. It just fits too well into what he keeps repeating. About not making a deal unless it has a strong long term effect.

I found it:

Hahn: It’s hard to ever feel satisfied about the depth, especially from a pitching standpoint. So we’re going to continue over the next few weeks, you’ll probably see a few non-roster guys added in as we get closer to the camp and the market probably plays it way out to fruition. But if this is the group, which again I don’t expect it to be, but if this is the group then we feel like we’ve got a solid bunch to pull the 25-man from and have enough depth to fill the inevitable needs that injuries will create over the course of the year.

My apologies, he clearly didn't say the opposite. At the same time, I feel like this was more directed towards the Gonzalez Germen type of moves, but it's anyone's guess.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 03:01 PM)
Forget where I read and apologize if I misread. It was a few days ago via one of the sox beat guys. Clicked the link on twitter and read the article. don't remember which though...

I remember him reading that he said there are more moves to be made. Didn't elude to anything big like a Yelich, made it sound more like small deals from what I remember. But I remember thinking it was odd saying that the team wouldn't be as it's currently constructed in a few weeks. Seemed like an odd statement.

Again could have misread..

That article aside, I just have a feeling that Yelich is coming to the Southside. It just fits too well into what he keeps repeating. About not making a deal unless it has a strong long term effect.

I took that article to mean more guys on our team could be moved (i.e Abreu & Avi).

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 05:04 PM)
The Cease stuff is more based on what scouts seem to suggest in terms of his future. He would be a top 50 guy if he was projected as a starter.

Exactly that. If he were to throw 120 innings next year for the White Sox, with his stuff, people will be talking about him in the same breath as the top 2-3 pitching prospects in baseball.

That's the game the White Sox are in right now - some of these assets could very well be worth a lot more next year. They shouldn't spoil that even if they get a really good player in exchange for several of them.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 02:55 PM)
How could you say no? Rutherford is coming off of a horrible season and if he shows no improvement is barely a top 30 org prospect. Cease by all accounts is destined to be a closer. It would be selling high on Hansen who had a great year but is by no means a lock to be a top pitcher. Yelich gives you cost certainty and flexibility heading into 2019 free agency class.

If you don't wasn't to lose two highly talented arms that each have ace potential with one being much closer to fulfilling it, that's how.

To me, I would love to get Yelich and I have stated I would not be opposed to including Hansen as a centerpiece in a deal so long as he's viewed as a premium prospect. Hansen, Rutherford and a mid teen prospect. Preferably not Adolfo.

I really think the Marlins will want a depth package for Yelich. Doesn't really make sense to ask for Acuna because they obviously won't get anything of value beyond that. 5 years of Yelich vs 6 or 7 years of Acuna doesn't really change the Marlins position. But 12 years of two A/B prospects and 12 years of a 2 B/C prospect makes much more sense.

Edited by pablo

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 03:11 PM)
Yeah sounds more like dumpster diving type moves.

Yah I think he's alluding to smaller moves now that I read it again. But at the same time Hahn rarely plays his cards so outright saying the team will look different. It made me curious.

As far as Yelich? I am 1,000% not 100, 1000 percent on board if it doesn't take a Hansen, eloy, Robert, kopech.

if its cease, Rutherford + ________ I am in.

The last one in my order of preference

Burger

Anderson

Lopez

Giolito

Other

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 03:03 PM)
I think trading Hansen is dangerous until we know what we have in Giolito & Lopez. Maybe next year it’s a different story, but I’m not giving up one of my few guys who has a chance to be a legit TOR starter. We can always buy an OF in free agency if need be, high end starting pitching is a different story.

Trading Hansen is also dangerous because he 1) could be an ace (the Sox have only 1 other prospect who fits that category) and 2)the Sox don't have as much young pitching as they need, much less what some think they have (excess? Yikes!).

For all his hype, Yelich just isn't a transformational player. It's too early lock into the good-not-great veterans.

It’s premature to tap into the top prospects, especially the pitchers for Yelich. No prospects are sure things but as it stands, Eloy and Robert are very likely legit MLB level. On the pitching side, even though we have a bunch of depth, there is less certainty, especially w Rodon hurt. So why would we send Cease and Hansen who arguably have the best stuff in our system outside of Kopech? I’d rather wait and see what we have from our pitching a little longer before dipping into it.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 03:01 PM)
Before I respond, I'd just like to preface by saying that I'm not one of those people who doesn't understand Yelich's value- the combination of his contract, defense, and hitting makes him one of the most valuable assets in baseball.

That said, Rutherford/Hansen/Cease is probably fair value once you factor in Jeter's ineptitude.

I wouldn't do it because we're not yet at the point to sell prospects for premium assets, except for in some crazy case where Mike Trout were made available. I'm not as down on Rutherford as you, but I especially disagree on Cease, who I believe can still be a starter. I don't put much stock in his 2017 numbers, which were tainted by a comically bad defense behind him.

I would never trade 2 possible high end starters in one trade for a position player.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 04:48 PM)
It’s premature to tap into the top prospects, especially the pitchers for Yelich. No prospects are sure things but as it stands, Eloy and Robert are very likely legit MLB level. On the pitching side, even though we have a bunch of depth, there is less certainty, especially w Rodon hurt. So why would we send Cease and Hansen who arguably have the best stuff in our system outside of Kopech? I’d rather wait and see what we have from our pitching a little longer before dipping into it.

Agree with this. We have pitching depth, but #1 & #2 starters aren’t easy to come by. Hansen has that type of potential and we’re going to need it if god forbid Rodon never takes that next step or Giolito & Lopez settle in as #3 types (or worse).

And I personally don’t think OF should be an area of priorization right now. I have a ton of confidence in Jimenez & Robert becoming quality major leaguers if not legit superstars. Just need one more and we have quite a few interesting prospects plus a guy in Nicky Delmonico that I think will surprise a lot of people next year. I know talents like Yelich aren’t always readily available, but I’d rather see what we have in-house in 2018 and go shopping the following offseason if need be, preferably with cash instead of prospects if at all possible.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 07:39 PM)
Agree with this. We have pitching depth, but #1 & #2 starters aren’t easy to come by. Hansen has that type of potential and we’re going to need it if god forbid Rodon never takes that next step or Giolito & Lopez settle in as #3 types (or worse).

And I personally don’t think OF should be an area of priorization right now. I have a ton of confidence in Jimenez & Robert becoming quality major leaguers if not legit superstars. Just need one more and we have quite a few interesting prospects plus a guy in Nicky Delmonico that I think will surprise a lot of people next year. I know talents like Yelich aren’t always readily available, but I’d rather see what we have in-house in 2018 and go shopping the following offseason if need be, preferably with cash instead of prospects if at all possible.

Adam Jones, Charlie Blackmon, and AJ Pollock are all Free Agents next offseason. If CF remains a need, we have the money.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 02:50 PM)
Hansen, Cease, and Rutherford has been my proposed package all along and matches what they are supposedly asking for. Other teams like Braves could beat that though.

No way I’m trading Hansen. Cease and Rutherford I could get behind, but not much after that.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 05:39 PM)

I've been agnostic of this but mostly against on the assumed cost.

But this is exactly right. Hopefully soon we will be in the position to buy, and judging by the last few years, pitching has been much harder to acquire than bats.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 06:39 PM)
Adam Jones, Charlie Blackmon, and AJ Pollock are all Free Agents next offseason. If CF remains a need, we have the money.

If our offense looks good, Jones would be a really nice vet player to have, but it would have to be for corner OF and that move would need to show a plus defense from him. His decline has been real but he's such a good teammate and veteran, if anyone could have a late career rebirth on a competitive team I'd really hope it would be him.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Jan 20, 2018 -> 12:05 PM)
Blackmon and Pollack I could get behind.. Not so much for Jones.

Jones hasn't been a plus defender the last 2 years any more but he's still a plus player as of now. If we're in a spot where we don't want to give out a 5 year deal to a CF because we know Robert is on the way, Jones might be an option on a shorter deal.

How many years do we think Cutch might get next year? He might be a guy you play in CF for a year and then move to a corner when Robert comes up in hopefully early 2020. Depending on the years and price, I’d be all for him as a transition piece to an internal option like Adolfo or Rutherford.

Good god, imagine this lineup. Yes, I also included Machado because why not :)

1. McCutchen, LF

2. Moncada, 2B

3. Machado, 3B

4. Abreu, 1B

5. Jimenez, RF

6. Delmonico, DH

7. Robert, CF

8. Collins, C

9. Anderson, SS

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 20, 2018 -> 11:50 AM)
How many years do we think Cutch might get next year? He might be a guy you play in CF for a year and then move to a corner when Robert comes up in hopefully early 2020. Depending on the years and price, I’d be all for him as a transition piece to an internal option like Adolfo or Rutherford.

Good god, imagine this lineup. Yes, I also included Machado because why not :)

1. McCutchen, LF

2. Moncada, 2B

3. Machado, 3B

4. Abreu, 1B

5. Jimenez, RF

6. Delmonico, DH

7. Robert, CF

8. Collins, C

9. Anderson, SS

I honestly have no idea. There are articles out there from 2016 about how there had literally never been an MVP who fell off as fast as him and at the age he did. If he has a strong 2017, I could see him anywhere from 3-5 years. If his numbers drop back a little bit, I could see him getting much less than that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 20, 2018 -> 10:54 AM)
I honestly have no idea. There are articles out there from 2016 about how there had literally never been an MVP who fell off as fast as him and at the age he did. If he has a strong 2017, I could see him anywhere from 3-5 years. If his numbers drop back a little bit, I could see him getting much less than that.

A three year deal would be amazing IMO. Your talking about his age 32 to 34 seasons. I think he could be roughly a 3 WAR player during that time. And dude would be the perfect veteran to have around all these kids. I always wanted to see the guy in a Sox uniform and I’m all for it if on team friendly terms.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 20, 2018 -> 01:04 PM)
A three year deal would be amazing IMO. Your talking about his age 32 to 34 seasons. I think he could be roughly a 3 WAR player during that time. And dude would be the perfect veteran to have around all these kids. I always wanted to see the guy in a Sox uniform and I’m all for it if on team friendly terms.

There's been talk that 2016 and 2017, when Marte was up and when the Pirates were talking about moving him away from CF some years, did not go over well with him.