White Sox have asked about Cole

southsider2k5

He followed that tweeet up with:

@MaxWildstein

Had heard the #WhiteSox have called about basically every player that’s on trading block, just for due diligence.

So, it looks like nothing. Would be hard to imagine the Sox getting involved unless it somehow turned in to a 3way trade

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 24, 2017 -> 12:31 AM)
Supposedly the Yanks insist on a package starting with Clint Frazier and the Pirates want Torres. If that's true Pitt can keep Cole because Pitt's asking price will probably begin with Jimenez from the Sox.

Still yet, nothing wrong with kicking the tires.

Well I certainly don't blame Pittsburgh for wanting a better headliner than Clint Frazier.

QUOTE (Soha @ Dec 24, 2017 -> 07:05 AM)
Well I certainly don't blame Pittsburgh for wanting a better headliner than Clint Frazier.

Perhaps we could give them one... which of our prospects would be more enticing for Pittsburg and would justify us trading for Frazier and Sheffield from NY?

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 24, 2017 -> 10:05 AM)
Perhaps we could give them one... which of our prospects would be more enticing for Pittsburg and would justify us trading for Frazier and Sheffield from NY?

I'm not sure where Clint Frazier's value is now. I know he was a fringe top 20 prospect, but I think that's fallen a good deal, whether fair or not. I don't think I'd give up any prospects above Cease. So...how about:

To NYY: Cole

To Pittsburgh: Sheffield, Dylan Cease + lower lottery ticket prospect from NYY

To CWS: Clint Frazier

QUOTE (Soha @ Dec 24, 2017 -> 08:34 AM)
I'm not sure where Clint Frazier's value is now. I know he was a fringe top 20 prospect, but I think that's fallen a good deal, whether fair or not. I don't think I'd give up any prospects above Cease. So...how about:

To NYY: Cole

To Pittsburgh: Sheffield, Dylan Cease + lower lottery ticket prospect from NYY

To CWS: Clint Frazier

Prospect ranking for me personally among the three goes:

Sheffield, Cease, Frazier

If we somehow got involved, I'd only want to be a part of the party if we landed them both.

Fulmer + Dunning + Sheets for Cole with us getting Sheffield and Frazier? Meh... my guess is Pittsburg would prefer the spanke prospects too.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 24, 2017 -> 02:40 AM)
Careful. You'll have an angry mob of cubs fans at your doorstep for talking about their pitcher like that.

I read somewhere that the TB Rays owner will not trade with the Cubs. He is still pretty upset the way Joe Madden up and left for them. I can see a team like St. Louis trading for Archer. Can you imagine? Cub fans would go nuts.

In regards to Hahn, I’m happy he is kicking tires on everyone. The market is pretty stagnant, if you can get a really good player for pennies on the dollar— go for it! The goal is still 2020. If he can land younger veterans that fit into that timeline but doesn’t cost premium prospects, it’s a win-win.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (Soha @ Dec 24, 2017 -> 09:05 AM)

Frazier is a good headliner for a pitcher such as Cole. Sale netted the #1 overall prospect for a headliner, do you really think Cole should net the #2 overall prospect? I don't.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 24, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
I read somewhere that the TB Rays owner will not trade with the Cubs. He is still pretty upset the way Joe Madden up and left for them. I can see a team like St. Louis trading for Archer. Can you imagine? Cub fans would go nuts.

In regards to Hahn, I’m happy he is kicking tires on everyone. The market is pretty stagnant, if you can get a really good player for pennies on the dollar— go for it! The goal is still 2020. If he can land younger veterans that fit into that timeline but doesn’t cost premium prospects, it’s a win-win.

Oh damn, forgot about the Maddon thing. Good call dude. That would be hilarious if STL traded for Archer.

Agree about Hahn. Rebuilds are the perfect time to explore all possibilities and Hahn is doing just that.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 24, 2017 -> 11:18 AM)
Frazier is a good headliner for a pitcher such as Cole. Sale netted the #1 overall prospect for a headliner, do you really think Cole should net the #2 overall prospect? I don't.

Oh damn, forgot about the Maddon thing. Good call dude. That would be hilarious if STL traded for Archer.

Agree about Hahn. Rebuilds are the perfect time to explore all possibilities and Hahn is doing just that.

Torres is overpayment....Frazier is underpayment.

All I'm saying is I understand (and agree) if Pittsburgh says nah to Clint Frazier.

I wonder if Hahn is sniffing around the situations the Yankees care about in an attempt to get Torres.

We could take back part of the ellsbury contract, include prospects or abreu depending on the situation.

for instance, the Yankees won't include Torres for Cole, but maybe they do for Cole and abreu if it also sheds Ellsbury. Abreu would be a heck of a dh on that team.

pirates - Frazier, Chance and Spencer Adams

sox - Torres, Ellsbury

Yankees- Cole, Abreu

it's a lot for one prospect and moves Anderson to center, but interesting

QUOTE (fredmanrique @ Dec 24, 2017 -> 02:48 PM)
I wonder if Hahn is sniffing around the situations the Yankees care about in an attempt to get Torres.

We could take back part of the ellsbury contract, include prospects or abreu depending on the situation.

for instance, the Yankees won't include Torres for Cole, but maybe they do for Cole and abreu if it also sheds Ellsbury. Abreu would be a heck of a dh on that team.

sox - Torres, Ellsbury

Yankees- Cole, Abreu

Sox aren't getting Torres for Abreu, Adams, and chance the rapper imo. Even with ellsbury contract.

QUOTE (Soha @ Dec 24, 2017 -> 12:07 PM)
Torres is overpayment....Frazier is underpayment.

All I'm saying is I understand (and agree) if Pittsburgh says nah to Clint Frazier.

I just don't see how Frazier's value dropped so much that he's not a headliner for Cole. What are the reasons for Frazier's drop in value because I'm not seeing it?

QUOTE (fredmanrique @ Dec 24, 2017 -> 03:48 PM)

sox - Torres, Ellsbury

Yankees- Cole, Abreu

No thanks

QUOTE (ron883 @ Dec 24, 2017 -> 02:56 PM)
Sox aren't getting Torres for Abreu, Adams, and chance the rapper imo. Even with ellsbury contract.

Nope. And people need to remember Ellsbury has a full NTC so unless we can find some other worldly reason for why he would OK a trade to Chicago, it's probably safe to say he won't be wearing a Sox uni anytime soon..

An Ellsbury trade scenario that might work would be Ellsbury +10M to SF with Samardzija going to the Yanks.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 24, 2017 -> 03:15 PM)
I just don't see how Frazier's value dropped so much that he's not a headliner for Cole. What are the reasons for Frazier's drop in value because I'm not seeing it?

For me it's more a question of why his value was ever high in the first place? But regardless, Cole has 2 years of control left and has shown be can be a TOR starter. I think his value is massive to a contending team.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 24, 2017 -> 04:15 PM)

He didn't hit much. Yanks probably looking to fleece someone (again).

QUOTE (Soha @ Dec 24, 2017 -> 04:16 PM)
For me it's more a question of why his value was ever high in the first place? But regardless, Cole has 2 years of control left and has shown be can be a TOR starter. I think his value is massive to a contending team.

I think it's Frazier's lofty ceiling that had him ranked so high. The talent is there and he's young.

Cole's stats weren't very impressive last year in the NL with almost half the teams rebuilding. How well do Cole's numbers translate to the AL and in the ALE division? I wouldn't be willing to pay too high of a price for Cole.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 24, 2017 -> 07:12 PM)
I think it's Frazier's lofty ceiling that had him ranked so high. The talent is there and he's young.

Cole's stats weren't very impressive last year in the NL with almost half the teams rebuilding. How well do Cole's numbers translate to the AL and in the ALE division? I wouldn't be willing to pay too high of a price for Cole.

I'm not going to pretend that I've followed his minor league career all that closely. But a glance at his stats shows he hasn't really torn any league up. And that the Yankees seem to want to dump him so fast is another cause for concern. Just like we started hearing the Yankees were down on Rutherford right before the Sox traded for him...the same things started getting said about Frazier when the season ended. And sure enough they're trying to move him now.

As for Cole, I don't think the NL is any weaker than the AL. Yes there's probably more bad teams, but there's also more good teams. Where the AL is kind of a league-wide mediocrity, instead of the extreme goods and bads. Anyway, Cole had 200+ innings pitched and I think he's worth a gamble that he could return to better form this coming season. It's not like he's going to generate a Quintana or Sale return.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 24, 2017 -> 03:15 PM)

I don't either. It's possible that Pittsburgh just wants another position as a headliner. If if they trade McCutchen, they'd still have Polanco/Marte/Meadows. I could see them wanting pitching and Miguel Andujar from NY. It does make sense though that the Sox would be in as a 3 way type deal possibly. I truly think Hahn probably "checked" in because it's his job. Something like this could work possibly though.

Pittsbugh Gets: Reynaldo Lopez, Justus Sheffield, 2 more prospects

NY Gets: Gerrit Cole

White Sox Get: Clint Frazier