Create a package to land Trout

Jerksticks

With all these teams leaking "The White Sox have shown interest" to drive up offers, it seems like we can trade for anybody. Even Mike Trout??

What would your package look like? Is it safe to say we have to trade 10 WAR per year PLUS an added 5 WAR for the PR hit to the Angels?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 24, 2017 -> 04:55 PM)
I'd definitely do that

Yeah idk... He's the best player in the league, but what have the Angles been able to do with the best player in the league for the last 6 seasons? Now you would be trading for what will withought question be the least valuable years of his contract thus far.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 24, 2017 -> 10:46 PM)
Wouldn't be worth it. You are decimating potential for the team for a single player. Although that's probably what it would take to get him.

Yeah, I'd honestly not be interested in that deal at all, but I think the Angels might take it somewhat seriously. It's a better package than the Sale package by far.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 24, 2017 -> 08:52 PM)
Moncada/Jimenez/Kopech (pick 2/3) plus Avi plus Abreu plus Fulmer

Were you kidding? Those playes are the heart and soul of the rebuild for one player?? Ridiculous and I'm not a rebuild guy. The Angels should take that trade in a second because it's basically the Sox rebuilt team in a nutshell and you're trading them all away in one full swoop.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 25, 2017 -> 04:08 PM)
Avi, Rodon, Robert, Cease, Rutherford, Collins, Burdi

I see what you are doing here, trying to get Trout on the cheap so to speak. You are not putting Eloy in there and you are putting in some guys who "could" conceivably bust soon (Avi, Rodon, Cease, Rutherford, Collins, Burdi), in effect shortchanging the Angels. This is also ridiculous. Our scouts must love these guys so again, giving up on the rebuild for one player is ridiculous. Some of you slay me. Either do the rebuild or don't. Why would you trade so many guys for one player? If you want one star, why did we get rid of Sale, Q? Now that we're doing the rebuild, do the rebuild, don't trade away all these top prospects. Angels would snicker at this particular offer cause it's obvious you're trying to slip Avi, Rutherford, Collins and Burdi in the deal who all could be major busts while throwing them a bone in Robert as Cease also could bust.

My package for Trout, who is only under contract thru 2020, which would mean you'd lose him pretty soon anyway: Abreu (whom I love), Cease and Tim Anderson (this would require us drafting a shortstop this year and acquiring an acceptable but not high dollar free agent if we reach contention and need a ss with Timmy gone. I think the Sox could survive my trade and keep the rebuild on track. I was gonna throw Burger in there. I guess I could add him if we keep Davidson around.

Edited by greg775

Let's do the math.

3 years of control for 102 m. Projected for around 27 wins for a value of 241m at 9m per win, that leaves a surplus value of 139m.

What is that worth? According to this list a 70 and a 55 hitter or two 60 hitters and a 50 pitcher. Or 3 55 hitters and a 50 pitcher or about 7 50 hitters (or 13 45 hitters:)).

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/valuing-the...-100-prospects/

I think trout may be traded in mid 2020 for 3 top 100 guys but then not a 70 but rather a 60 and two 50s. Right now the price is just too ridiculous and also with their recent additions they likely want to compete.

Edited by GermanSock

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 25, 2017 -> 03:43 PM)
I see what you are doing here, trying to get Trout on the cheap so to speak. You are not putting Eloy in there and you are putting in some guys who "could" conceivably bust soon (Avi, Rodon, Cease, Rutherford, Collins, Burdi), in effect shortchanging the Angels. This is also ridiculous. Our scouts must love these guys so again, giving up on the rebuild for one player is ridiculous. Some of you slay me. Either do the rebuild or don't. Why would you trade so many guys for one player? If you want one star, why did we get rid of Sale, Q? Now that we're doing the rebuild, do the rebuild, don't trade away all these top prospects. Angels would snicker at this particular offer cause it's obvious you're trying to slip Avi, Rutherford, Collins and Burdi in the deal who all could be major busts while throwing them a bone in Robert as Cease also could bust.

My package for Trout, who is only under contract thru 2020, which would mean you'd lose him pretty soon anyway: Abreu (whom I love), Cease and Tim Anderson (this would require us drafting a shortstop this year and acquiring an acceptable but not high dollar free agent if we reach contention and need a ss with Timmy gone. I think the Sox could survive my trade and keep the rebuild on track. I was gonna throw Burger in there. I guess I could add him if we keep Davidson around.

I might have been exaggerating on the high side, but that's certainly a starting point "ask" on their point...we're not going to get away with the lesser package here that you're responding to. Trading Rodon at this point in his injury rehab makes little sense, as well.

Abreu/Avi aren't critical to the competing Sox teams unless we sign them to extensions, Fulmer's a throw-in with "potential" (still)...but you're right, those first three players are the core of the rebuild, and not including them would force us to include a good number from our second tier prospects to compensate for that.

With the way the Angels are currently constructed (win now), it doesn't make ANY sense to trade Trout unless they were having financial problems as a franchise, which is highly unlikely under Moreno.

So, while dealing for Trout, the actual issue is not necessarily that you have to put a fair deal together for Trout. The White Sox could do that with their top 3 prospects and an additional solid piece. We could do that, but that is not the only thing that matters right now.

The consideration no one has mentioned yet is Ohtani. The LAA just signed potentially the largest bargain on the free agent market. A guy who will fill a bunch of seats and could well push them into the playoffs if he's everything promised, and he signed with them for like $3 million.

So, do you want to tell me, honestly, that the Angels made their pitch to him without saying anything about "We have the best player in baseball in center field" or "We're a playoff team if we add you to our pitching staff and DH slot"? I don't believe that. Which means that, if the Angels did trade Trout, I have to say "How do the Angels do that without hurting their big league team"? That's a huge challenge for the White Sox, it'd be a huge challenge for the White Sox if they still had Sale.

So, I have to start with the big leaguers. Abreu and Garcia. These are guys who maybe can contribute to the Halos winning right now. They're not perfect roster fits, but they can win games right now.

Then I have to give 2 pitchers who can make the Angels better this year. Giolito and Lopez have to go. That's the place the Angels could do such a move thinking "This will make us better right now".

Then the final piece has to be someone who can fit into CF right now. I'm not sure Moncada can do this. I'm not sure Anderson can do this. But they've got to gamble on one of them - Moncada or Anderson, as able to take over CF right now and not be a total disaster. Given the choice?

Moncada, Lopez, Giolito, Abreu, Garcia.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2017 -> 02:53 AM)
So, while dealing for Trout, the actual issue is not necessarily that you have to put a fair deal together for Trout. The White Sox could do that with their top 3 prospects and an additional solid piece. We could do that, but that is not the only thing that matters right now.

The consideration no one has mentioned yet is Ohtani. The LAA just signed potentially the largest bargain on the free agent market. A guy who will fill a bunch of seats and could well push them into the playoffs if he's everything promised, and he signed with them for like $3 million.

So, do you want to tell me, honestly, that the Angels made their pitch to him without saying anything about "We have the best player in baseball in center field" or "We're a playoff team if we add you to our pitching staff and DH slot"? I don't believe that. Which means that, if the Angels did trade Trout, I have to say "How do the Angels do that without hurting their big league team"? That's a huge challenge for the White Sox, it'd be a huge challenge for the White Sox if they still had Sale.

So, I have to start with the big leaguers. Abreu and Garcia. These are guys who maybe can contribute to the Halos winning right now. They're not perfect roster fits, but they can win games right now.

Then I have to give 2 pitchers who can make the Angels better this year. Giolito and Lopez have to go. That's the place the Angels could do such a move thinking "This will make us better right now".

Then the final piece has to be someone who can fit into CF right now. I'm not sure Moncada can do this. I'm not sure Anderson can do this. But they've got to gamble on one of them - Moncada or Anderson, as able to take over CF right now and not be a total disaster. Given the choice?

And that is one, horrible trade for the White Sox. You are giving up literally 2 of the 3 top players in the organization, maybe three if you are a Lopez guy. And two all stars. This trade is horrifically bad if you are a White Sox fan. The Angels should take it in a heartbeat. And the Sox can pay Trout 30 million a year the next 3 years then see him walk.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 26, 2017 -> 10:25 PM)
And that is one, horrible trade for the White Sox. You are giving up literally 2 of the 3 top players in the organization, maybe three if you are a Lopez guy. And two all stars. This trade is horrifically bad if you are a White Sox fan. The Angels should take it in a heartbeat. And the Sox can pay Trout 30 million a year the next 3 years then see him walk.

I can't speak for the original poster. But I think we all know the Sox can't realistically trade for Trout and have it be a good deal for Chicago. The original poster said just for fun....

The only kind of team that could trade for him and have it work out well is an already playoff contending type team that somehow still has a loaded system. Yankees, Dodgers, Astros...that's probably about it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 26, 2017 -> 08:53 PM)

Nice post. I think the Halos accept that deal, maybe. The money seems about equal and the WAR per year seems around 10. Believe it or not that's a fair deal to me. But does trading for Trout require a bit more overpay for PR? Nicely done though.

And that still somehow leaves us with:

Infield:

Delmonico 1B

Sanchez 2B

Anderson SS

Davidson/Burger 3B

Outfield:

Rutherford

Jimenez

Trout

Cordell

Engel

Tilson

Call

Pitching:

Rodon

Hansen

Kopech

Dunning

Cease

Guerrero

Stephens

Etc.

The Ohtani point of yours might actually allow us to keep Kopech/Jimenez

Crazy. Thanks for playing the game.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 27, 2017 -> 09:05 AM)
Nice post. I think the Halos accept that deal, maybe. The money seems about equal and the WAR per year seems around 10. Believe it or not that's a fair deal to me. But does trading for Trout require a bit more overpay for PR? Nicely done though.

And that still somehow leaves us with:

Infield:

Delmonico 1B

Sanchez 2B

Anderson SS

Davidson/Burger 3B

Outfield:

Rutherford

Jimenez

Trout

Cordell

Engel

Tilson

Call

Pitching:

Rodon

Hansen

Kopech

Dunning

Cease

Guerrero

Stephens

Etc.

The Ohtani point of yours might actually allow us to keep Kopech/Jimenez

Crazy. Thanks for playing the game.

That’s is an horrible looking lineup. No above average bats besides Trout and Eloy.

I would never want to do that trade from Sox perspective. There is no rush to trade for a player like Trout, I would rather wait and see what I have in the 3 young players in that trade. You may potentially be trading away two 4WAR pitchers and a 5 WAR 2B with about 6 years of team control each. Their aggregate surplus value is far greater than that of Trout alone. If we’re in win now mode, I may consider it (with less going out from Sox), but the trade just doesn’t make sense for the Sox’s window.