Sports Betting Thread

pettie4sox

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Feb 10, 2018 -> 08:33 AM)
How many hours of research would you say you put into gambling per day?

That's my 2000th post in 13 years, so give the answer a little thought. :gosoxretro:

During the week, very little. With my job, it's hard to sit at a computer all day and research. On the weekend is where I try to be more aggressive. I stay up late, and cap the absolute s*** out of games. I have a system for my bets, I research the history, player matchups, weather (when applicable), numbers, and I check players social media for emotional and mental stability. I try to spend at least 15-20 minutes per game during the week and on the weekends, I spend maybe 3-4 times that amount on bets.

It's nice to cap, but sometimes things just don't go your way. You can't take it personally, but hopefully you are managing your bankroll to the point your hits are not causing real damage sans your ego.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Feb 11, 2018 -> 10:06 AM)
The only gambling I do is NFL Confidence Pools. I have a pretty good method that always keeps me at or near the top of the Overall Season Total. Week to week, I tend to do well but drop one or two of the big point games. I plan on looking back at last season and seeing if I can figure out a trend.

Are confidence pools done by spreads?

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Feb 11, 2018 -> 10:42 PM)
Are confidence pools done by spreads?

Generally, it's just picking the winner (straight up), and ranking them by confidence 16 points to 1 point. I use the point spread, as I'm sure everyone does. I also use the rule that Vegas gives the home team 3 points. But, if you use it strictly, it seems there's always an upset or two in the 10-12 range. I've never taken the time to see if there is a trend.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the 9th of February my record is 88-84-7

MTD 123-111-10 +1361.15

YTD 239-214-16 +5098.53

I took a tumble the past two weeks with some big bets that whiffed. Variance for the big bets that hit last month.

2 bets pending atm but that's the end of the month.

• 5 weeks later...
QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 05:54 PM)
Thinkimg about getting into online sports betting. Is Bovada easy to use? Are there fees when you take out money?

Bovada gives you a free payout every 30 days.

If you get your money via crypto, you can do it once a week without fees.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/11/2018 at 9:06 AM, Middle Buffalo said:

The only gambling I do is NFL Confidence Pools. I have a pretty good method that always keeps me at or near the top of the Overall Season Total.

I won both total points in both Confidence Pools I entered this season. In one, I never won the weekly pot. In the other, I won two or three weeks in addition to the total. 

On 1/25/2019 at 6:10 AM, Middle Buffalo said:

I won both total points in both Confidence Pools I entered this season. In one, I never won the weekly pot. In the other, I won two or three weeks in addition to the total. 

Me too. I am always in the money at the end of the season but rarely win the weekly prize.its been 16 straight years for season total prize money for me.