pettie4sox

Sports Betting Thread

How many hours of research would you say you put into gambling per day?

That's my 2000th post in 13 years, so give the answer a little thought. :gosoxretro:

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Feb 10, 2018 -> 08:33 AM)
How many hours of research would you say you put into gambling per day?

That's my 2000th post in 13 years, so give the answer a little thought. :gosoxretro:

During the week, very little. With my job, it's hard to sit at a computer all day and research. On the weekend is where I try to be more aggressive. I stay up late, and cap the absolute s*** out of games. I have a system for my bets, I research the history, player matchups, weather (when applicable), numbers, and I check players social media for emotional and mental stability. I try to spend at least 15-20 minutes per game during the week and on the weekends, I spend maybe 3-4 times that amount on bets.

It's nice to cap, but sometimes things just don't go your way. You can't take it personally, but hopefully you are managing your bankroll to the point your hits are not causing real damage sans your ego.

The only gambling I do is NFL Confidence Pools. I have a pretty good method that always keeps me at or near the top of the Overall Season Total. Week to week, I tend to do well but drop one or two of the big point games. I plan on looking back at last season and seeing if I can figure out a trend.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Feb 11, 2018 -> 10:06 AM)
The only gambling I do is NFL Confidence Pools. I have a pretty good method that always keeps me at or near the top of the Overall Season Total. Week to week, I tend to do well but drop one or two of the big point games. I plan on looking back at last season and seeing if I can figure out a trend.

Are confidence pools done by spreads?

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Feb 11, 2018 -> 10:42 PM)
Are confidence pools done by spreads?

Generally, it's just picking the winner (straight up), and ranking them by confidence 16 points to 1 point. I use the point spread, as I'm sure everyone does. I also use the rule that Vegas gives the home team 3 points. But, if you use it strictly, it seems there's always an upset or two in the 10-12 range. I've never taken the time to see if there is a trend.

No. I'm actually doing damn good. I just felt like a weekly update is better. I don't think anyone is tailing me plus I think this thread comes across a little pompous.

Since the 9th of February my record is 88-84-7

MTD 123-111-10 +1361.15

YTD 239-214-16 +5098.53

I took a tumble the past two weeks with some big bets that whiffed. Variance for the big bets that hit last month.

2 bets pending atm but that's the end of the month.

Thinking about getting into online sports betting. Is Bovada easy to use? Are there fees when you take out money?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 05:54 PM)
Thinkimg about getting into online sports betting. Is Bovada easy to use? Are there fees when you take out money?

Bovada gives you a free payout every 30 days.

If you get your money via crypto, you can do it once a week without fees.

On 2/11/2018 at 9:06 AM, Middle Buffalo said:

The only gambling I do is NFL Confidence Pools. I have a pretty good method that always keeps me at or near the top of the Overall Season Total.

I won both total points in both Confidence Pools I entered this season. In one, I never won the weekly pot. In the other, I won two or three weeks in addition to the total. 

Oh I started a Whatsapp group for people to follow my picks.  If you're betting and want in, let me know.

I may start a slack group soon as the there are quite a few members.

Edited by pettie4sox

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I was trying to light a fire under this thread haha

It worked!  I'm bummed I totally forgot to keep this updated but it seemed like such a pompous thread in hindsight.

Super Bowl MVP is hard because Brady is a lock if the Patriots win, look how James White got robbed last year. Greg the Leg at 85-1 if it's an unexpected low scoring battle.

On 1/25/2019 at 6:10 AM, Middle Buffalo said:

I won both total points in both Confidence Pools I entered this season. In one, I never won the weekly pot. In the other, I won two or three weeks in addition to the total. 

Me too. I am always in the money at the end of the season but rarely win the weekly prize.its been 16 straight years for season total prize money for me.

3 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Super Bowl MVP is hard because Brady is a lock if the Patriots win, look how James White got robbed last year. Greg the Leg at 85-1 if it's an unexpected low scoring battle.

Johnny Hekker!