Southsidesox Exodus

bmags

https://www.soxmachine.com/

Margulis, Nelson and Pnoles all leaving for Jim Margulis’ new/old site. Hopefully Larry leaves too.

Started to see some signs of this with tweets at Vox Media treating writers poorly, but I hope the fresh start pays off. There are quite a few posters here I’d like to see write everyday.

SSS position over the last few years was in a strangely conservative place. Vast majority wanted to go for it again in 17, and it just seemed to be in a different tone on the rebuild where they didn’t quite buy it.

I hope whomever takes over is good, I’m guessing it’s not happening but would love if the cheat were able to come back.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 01:49 PM)
Fortunately, Vox isn't in the spot to just close down like the Gothamist/DNAInfo brand that Ricketts pulled.

DNA info still pisses me off, Joe salted the earth just to spite his new found employees. The Ricketts are enormous f***ing p*****s.

Hopefully this results in more quality Sox coverage online, not less. There's a chance for someone a bit younger, with maybe a bit more of an unique vision to take over SSS. Vox is apparently an awful employer so it will probably need to mostly be a labor of love. Jim does journalism for a living so I'm sure at a certain point he figured branding his own site again would result in more revenue and satisfaction for him long term.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 02:00 PM)
Despite liking vox.com, eater, and theVerge, there are just so many stories about SB Nation being a pretty crappy employer. Good for them.

SB Nation was the beginning, but do their other websites have the same content creation structure? Basically they take advantage of fans and make money off their hard work, but all their other sites have actually employees writing the content, right?

QUOTE (Latilleon @ Jan 3, 2018 -> 12:25 PM)
SB Nation was the beginning, but do their other websites have the same content creation structure? Basically they take advantage of fans and make money off their hard work, but all their other sites have actually employees writing the content, right?

Yeah I don't think anyone but sbnation has that local structure relying on free contributors.

I think BP ran out that same sort of model.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 3, 2018 -> 02:41 PM)
Yeah I don't think anyone but sbnation has that local structure relying on free contributors.

I think BP ran out that same sort of model.

According to SB Nation's job listing for SSS it's a contract position as the "lead" blogger. I'm not sure how hours are billed but it's probably capped at something fairly low. I don't think you can make a living as a SB Nation lead blogger unless you've got alt revenue coming in or are independently wealthy.

I just don't see how SB Nation holds on long term without charging for content. The ad revenue isn't enough, obviously.