2018 Films thread

Kyyle23

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 16, 2018 -> 12:18 AM)
There are no great movies this year.

I tried to watch Phantom Thread and gave up after about half an hour. I’ve seen the rest of the nominees in the main Oscar categories, great performances but not the films themselves, overall.

I’d agree with this. I like Get Out loads more than the other nominees but any other year, it probably wouldn’t make my top 5. I think it may win best picture, not only cuz it’s great, but just because of the times.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 12:39 PM)
Dunkirk was extremely well made, but as a narrative, it was far too lacking to consider "great." It had almost zero character development.

Agreed. Enjoyed it in the theater but ultimately a pretty forgettable movie.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 02:39 PM)
Dunkirk was extremely well made, but as a narrative, it was far too lacking to consider "great." It had almost zero character development.

I thought the main character was the war, helplessness and heroism. And I thought those were very well developed.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 02:39 PM)

This 100%. Pretty disappointed with this year’s nominees in general. I still have three to go, but pretty weak group after Get Out & The Post IMO. The Big Sick is better than all of them and totally got snubbed.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 22, 2018 -> 05:55 PM)
This 100%. Pretty disappointed with this year’s nominees in general. I still have three to go, but pretty weak group after Get Out & The Post IMO. The Big Sick is better than all of them and totally got snubbed.

The crazy thing about Get Out is that it's getting so much praise with a lot of people not understanding what it actually is. It's not a genre film, it's satire. To a lesser extent, it reminds of Robocop in that sense. Robocop was a satire most people didn't "get."

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 25, 2018 -> 02:58 PM)
Game Night was pretty entertaining. Not going to win any awards but worth your time.

Yeah, it had its moments but nothing too memorable.

Rachel McAdams gets better with age.

Really liked Annihilation, has sort of an Arrival kind of feel to it. Almost like a art house sci-fi movie, but Annihilation has a little more action in it.

People are probably going to complain about the ending, but I thought the last 10 minutes were super intense and I'm not even sure what was going on.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 11:18 AM)
Really liked Annihilation, has sort of an Arrival kind of feel to it. Almost like a art house sci-fi movie, but Annihilation has a little more action in it.

People are probably going to complain about the ending, but I thought the last 10 minutes were super intense and I'm not even sure what was going on.

I know it's coming to Netflix in a couple of weeks but I definitely want to catch it in the theatre.

• 1 month later...

It's a 2017 movie, but I re-watched The Last Jedi (a week ago in 2018). I only saw it in theaters once, and my initial reaction was meh- didn't love it, didn't hate it. Big fan of the movie after that second (and third) time seeing it! Not sure what specifically did it- maybe it was too much to process with just one viewing? It makes The Force Awakens seem even more mediocre than it did after that initial happiness of having a new Star Wars trilogy wore off.

Still not a fan of the awful space float scene, though.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 01:17 PM)
It's a 2017 movie, but I re-watched The Last Jedi (a week ago in 2018). I only saw it in theaters once, and my initial reaction was meh- didn't love it, didn't hate it. Big fan of the movie after that second (and third) time seeing it! Not sure what specifically did it- maybe it was too much to process with just one viewing? It makes The Force Awakens seem even more mediocre than it did after that initial happiness of having a new Star Wars trilogy wore off.

Still not a fan of the awful space float scene, though.

My main issue was that it squashed all speculation and intrigue that was brought up after watching episode 7.

Anything interesting or discussion-worthy was wiped away.

It was like, "New director - New plot!"

Has anyone else gotten the Movie Pass? $10/month and you can see one movie per day (excluding 3D). I've had mine for just under two months and I'm on my 9th movie:

15:17 to Paris: Thumbs Way down

The Commuter: Exactly as good/bad as you'd expect a Liam Neeson movie to be.

Den Of Thieves: Cool bank robber movie

Three Billboards: Didn't like. McDormand was great, as usual.

Annihilation: Interesting

Death Wish: Terrible

Black Panther: Great if you're into the Marvel Movies

Game Night: One of my favorite comedies in a while

Unsane: Could have been a lot better. The Iphone has a long way to go to be able to make a movie that looks professional

7 Days in Entebbe: A movie that tries to make you feel empathy for terrorists. Interesting choice.

QUOTE (SoxFan2003 @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 01:22 PM)
Has anyone else gotten the Movie Pass? $10/month and you can see one movie per day (excluding 3D). I've had mine for just under two months and I'm on my 9th movie:

15:17 to Paris: Thumbs Way down (never use the actual historical participants who lack professional training as actors)

The Commuter: Exactly as good/bad as you'd expect a Liam Neeson movie to be. (Agreed)

Den Of Thieves: Cool bank robber movie (one of Butler’s better performances in a long time)

Three Billboards: Didn't like. McDormand was great, as usual. (Still liked more than The Shape of Water)

Annihilation: Interesting (liked but didn’t love, overall worth hecking out though)

Death Wish: Terrible

Black Panther: Great if you're into the Marvel Movies (although it’s more Bond crossed with a cultural renaissance)

Game Night: One of my favorite comedies in a while (or comedies have just plain sucked)

Unsane: Could have been a lot better. The Iphone has a long way to go to be able to make a movie that looks professional

7 Days in Entebbe: A movie that tries to make you feel empathy for terrorists. Interesting choice. (Will try to check it out...my father tried to get me to read the book back in the day)