2018 Films thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 12:01 AM)
I just saw Jumanji. Thought it was pretty solid actually. I expect to hate it, and only watched because the girlfriend wanted to see it, but surprisingly enjoyable.

Right? I rented it on a flight and it was enjoyable. The girl with the legs helped

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 12:25 AM)
Right? I rented it on a flight and it was enjoyable. The girl with the legs helped

Hell yeah. Hard to believe that she is Nebula in GotG.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 02:20 AM)
Jack Black playing a vain teenage girl was an easy laugh every time. Same with Kevin Hart playing a big athletic kid.

Jack Black was awesome in this haha

Karen Gillan would have been a better Croft than Vikander...

Ready Player One was pretty darned good, especially for those nostalgic about the late 70’s and 1980’s. He first half was like being inside of a video game/VR, while the second half was a good guys/bad guys thriller with some teenage romance thrown in.

If anyone but Spielberg directed, it would be in the upper 80’s at RT instead of hovering around the high 60’s. It was better than I was expecting based on some of the more critical reviews.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Mar 31, 2018 -> 08:48 PM)
The book Ready Player One was far more profound than the film, however the movie is a lot of fun considering how bad some of the CGI nightmare films are as of late.

When the avatars are more interesting than the real life characters...at least for the two leads, you’ve got a problem.

Fortunately, the other three members of High Five were pretty cool. That and spotting the pop culture Easter eggs, especially as it related to the Atari 2600.

Burn After Reading is on Netflix right now. I liked it quite a bit (It's the Coen Brothers and the ridiculous cast they demand). The ludicrous nature of the plot is all the more relevant considering our current political climate.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to seeing Moonlight. I wasn't blown away.

The first 2/3 have really good performances. I wouldn't have a problem with it winning acting awards. But, as a film, it was only ok/good.

There is a newish trend in movies where the performances are good, but the movie seems to have no resolution. This fits that trend. I thought the same thing about Lady Bird and Phantom Thread this year. Some really good performances, I didn't hate the movies, but in the end I was left wondering what the point was.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Apr 9, 2018 -> 05:13 PM)
I finally got around to seeing Moonlight. I wasn't blown away.

The first 2/3 have really good performances. I wouldn't have a problem with it winning acting awards. But, as a film, it was only ok/good.

There is a newish trend in movies where the performances are good, but the movie seems to have no resolution. This fits that trend. I thought the same thing about Lady Bird and Phantom Thread this year. Some really good performances, I didn't hate the movies, but in the end I was left wondering what the point was.

How weird. I just finished it for the first time right now. I really dug it.

The Quiet Place is a really well-done directing (and Emily Blunt and child actors) performance...definitely worth checking out.

It's one of those rare horror movies that succeeds with a minimum of dialogue (actually, it could be understood with no speaking and just sign language/gestures) and holds off "showing the monster" for a good portion of the filming, just glimpses...building suspense with the musical score until later on in the film.

"Blockers" had some funny moments but was mostly meh.

John Cena making eye contact with a guy who was "finishing" was probably the funniest moment.

"A Quiet Place" is definitely next for me, despite thinking that John Kraskinski guy has one punchable face.

Edited by Brian

What would be the market for that movie if they took the "kid gloves" approach?

This way, they pick up a lot of viewers on the right side of the political spectrum that have never admired the Kennedys or their political dynasty and enjoy seeing it torn down.

On the left, more of a tinge of sadness...Kennedy did great things in the Senate, but that 1968-1974 period essentially destroyed the family's chances of ever winning the presidency again. It's also difficult to not see the cover-up and hubris on display and compare it to the current occupants of the WH...actually, pretty much impossible not to make that connection.

Supposedly, Jason Clarke put in a very good performance.

Edited by caulfield12

Loved "A Quiet Place" more than "Isle of Dogs", but both were great.

"Gemini" was okay.

Covered two film blindspots this weekend. Saw The Untouchables, which was good, but not great. Lost in Translation, however, is one of my favorites now.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Brian said:

And I can’t wait

Same. They've been talking about it for years but in the last few weeks it's finally started to sound like it might become a reality.

I still have the little toys they made and almost all of the comic books.

billTedBooth1_S.jpg

I also have a figure of Death and Rufus.

Edited by Iwritecode