2018 Films thread

Kyyle23

5 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Yeah, I thought this would take place after part II, but it looks like it is ignoring everything after the original.  So they are not going to be related. 

Looks like it will be pretty violent, that would be quite different from the original.

I thought they said it was taking place after 2. Even if not, Part 2 took place the same night as Halloween so it probably doesnt matter.

3 minutes ago, Brian said:

I thought they said it was taking place after 2. Even if not, Part 2 took place the same night as Halloween so it probably doesnt matter.

Everything I have read says they are ignoring everything after the original movie. Danny McBride wanted to do away with the whole relationship aspect of the story because then why even be scared if you know he is not coming for you? It makes it becomes more personal.

Watched Hereditary a few days ago and loved it. I already set expectations low coming in due to their marketing campaign and the general reactions I read amongst fans of the genre.

Us horror fans are such a fickle group; I feel anything reaching a mainstream audience (especially a movie with critical acclaim) is overly criticized by default. Hereditary isn't scary, but very unnerving. You'll walk out of the theater thinking about it. It's a unique experience and a film I'll probably want to buy on DVD, especially if the rumored hour long deleted scenes are true. 

Also, don't believe anyone who says however you regard The Witch is the same way you'll feel towards Hereditary. I didn't like The Witch; which would have fared better as a historical piece than a horror film.  The horror elements are much more prominent in Hereditary

Edited by Flash Tizzle

2 hours ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Watched Hereditary a few days ago and loved it. I already set expectations low coming in due to their marketing campaign and the general reactions I read amongst fans of the genre.

Us horror fans are such a fickle group; I feel anything reaching a mainstream audience (especially a movie with critical acclaim) is overly criticized by default. Hereditary isn't scary, but very unnerving. You'll walk out of the theater thinking about it. It's a unique experience and a film I'll probably want to buy on DVD, especially if the rumored hour long deleted scenes are true. 

Also, don't believe anyone who says however you regard The Witch is the same way you'll feel towards Hereditary. I didn't like The Witch; which would have fared better as a historical piece than a horror film.  The horror elements are much more prominent in Hereditary

I agree. It wasn't your typical Hollywood horror movie with jump scares every 5 minutes. And I totally get the comparison to "The Witch." The atmosphere was creepy throughout the movie.

Hereditary questions...

SPOIlERS BELOW

1. Was that roadkill that Peter avoided on the road?  Was that all just an accident or premidated to start the chain of events?
  2. Was Grandma "inside" Charlie or was that kid just creepy af?  It sounded like grandma was very close to her so I thought maybe she somehow got into Charlie's body until the male host was ready.

16 minutes ago, BigSqwert said:

Hereditary questions...

SPOIlERS BELOW

1. Was that roadkill that Peter avoided on the road?  Was that all just an accident or premidated to start the chain of events?
  2. Was Grandma "inside" Charlie or was that kid just creepy af?  It sounded like grandma was very close to her so I thought maybe she somehow got into Charlie's body until the male host was ready.

1. According to an article I read after the movie, it seems like it was premidated to start the events.

2. I think Charlie was possessed by the demon that the cult worships (explaining why she is so creepy). I think the grandma put it inside her at a young age (the mother mentions early on in the movie that she had a brother that was crazy and said he would say that the mother would try to put people inside of him) and then the demon was transferred from her into the boy at the end.

http://collider.com/hereditary-ending-explained/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2018 at 1:21 PM, caulfield12 said:

Jurassic World 3.25/4

Totally different type of film than #4...less action, more exposition.  Slightly less ridiculous?

It was decent, but holy cow did the previews give away too much of it.  Previous Jurassic World was way better IMO.

On 6/13/2018 at 10:45 AM, BigSqwert said:

Hereditary questions...

SPOIlERS BELOW

The director did an AMA on Reddit.

1. The cultists put the road kill there. They also put their sigil on the telephone poll that took off Charlie's head.

2. Charlie was possessed the entire time. She killed herself intentionally once her brother was weak enough to take his body. 

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Like 1

Me and my entire family saw Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (Felt really silly typing that out) on Thursday night in a real IMAX theater and I loved it. I think it’s way better than Jurassic World and easily the best since the original.

I know it’s been getting some mixed opinions online, so I saw it again tonight to make sure that I wasn’t Phantom-Menacing the film. And yeah, I love it.  The film struggles to get going but it when it does it’s an incredibly fun ride. Easily the scariest entry in the franchise. 

The director, JA Bayona, said that he said that he pitched a gothic Spanish thriller to Spielberg and Trevorrow which landed him the job and I think that angle is well executed. 

So many directions where they can take the sequel(s)  

And I’ll pull a 180 because I thought Fallen Kingdom was an abomination.

For a franchise about resurrecting dinosaurs, this plot and twists were so ridiculous and head shaking.

I do think where they left it off and they choose to make a 3rd, I could see it working but this was just bad. I’ll wait to be more specific because I don’t want to spoil anything, but this is easily the worst of the 5 for me.

For me, it’s really tough to compare the first three with the lt two because of the nostalgia effect of the first group...especially the cultural impact of the very first one.

With KP, 4 and 5 are so different that the mixed feelings are understandable from critics and viewers, personally I would probably come down slightly in favor of 4 for the same reason Star Wars fans liked the 7th film in that series (basically a recreation) so much.

19 hours ago, Brian said:

For a franchise about resurrecting dinosaurs, this plot and twists were so ridiculous and head shaking.

I do think where they left it off and they choose to make a 3rd, I could see it working but this was just bad. I’ll wait to be more specific because I don’t want to spoil anything, but this is easily the worst of the 5 for me.

I'm with you.  Just a horrible movie.  Of course I had low expectations going in since removing the dinosaurs from the amusement park concept just isn't interesting and becomes a standard boring monster movie.  This series has one great movie, a couple fun stupid ones in Lost World and Jurassic World and two horrendous movies.  I won't be seeing whatever they come out with next as there just aren't any interesting angles to me left with this concept.

21 hours ago, Brian said:

I believe the plan was for this to be a trilogy. Whether they decide to go forward with the 3rd one, we shall see.

12 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I believe the plan was for this to be a trilogy. Whether they decide to go forward with the 3rd one, we shall see.

717 million worldwide in the first weekend so I'm guessing they will. Ha