2018 Films thread

Kyyle23

25 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Looks like the gravy train is about to end. 

I'd probably switch to Simenia. Their structure is more strict which is probably why it's sustainable.

2 hours ago, Brian said:

“Blindspotting” was solid. Maybe more impactful on other viewers but it was still good.

I agree. I think I will be using my moviepass daily until it works no more. Considering they blacked out Mission I possible for fear everyone would see it and burn their money, the end is near.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I agree. I think I will be using my moviepass daily until it works no more. Considering they blacked out Mission I possible for fear everyone would see it and burn their money, the end is near.

All showings of Mission Impossible? I'm going with my dad tomorrow.

On 7/28/2018 at 4:26 PM, Dick Allen said:

On mine It says premium screening not supported for all the MIs in all of the theaters.

Looks like moviepass has no showings available at any theaters today.

Sure was fun while it lasted.  

I'm considering getting the AMC version for $19.95 and three movies a week.  I think I can make that work financially.

Looks like Moviepass' latest change is not letting you use the service for blockbusters the first few weeks, until crowds die down.

For me, and anyone else, who enjoy seeing smaller titles, it's fine, but other who don't , they'll be annoyed.

8 minutes ago, Brian said:

Looks like Moviepass' latest change is not letting you use the service for blockbusters the first few weeks, until crowds die down.

For me, and anyone else, who enjoy seeing smaller titles, it's fine, but other who don't , they'll be annoyed.

Plus in the next 30 days it's going up to $15. Next month I'll probably move on the AMC A List for $20. 3 movies a week, and you don't have to be next to the theater to get a ticket.  Except for RBG, all the movies I have seen, including smaller ones, were available at AMCs by me. And there are a couple of AMCs that aren't on Moviepass.  For $5, it's worth the convenience, especially with what has been going on with the Moviepass the last several days. 

It was way too good to last.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Plus in the next 30 days it's going up to $15. Next month I'll probably move on the AMC A List for $20. 3 movies a week, and you don't have to be next to the theater to get a ticket.  Except for RBG, all the movies I have seen, including smaller ones, were available at AMCs by me. And there are a couple of AMCs that aren't on Moviepass.  For $5, it's worth the convenience, especially with what has been going on with the Moviepass the last several days. 

It was way too good to last.

The nearest AMC to me is like 30 minutes away so I'll ride out Moviepass. Don't blame people for jumping ship though.

7 minutes ago, Brian said:

The nearest AMC to me is like 30 minutes away so I'll ride out Moviepass. Don't blame people for jumping ship though.

On 7/6/2018 at 1:18 PM, Brian said:

25 whole Miles? Lol. 30 minutes drive, you snowflake! 

:lol:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

"A Star is Born" at 95%.

I'm a Bradley Cooper fan. Guy can do anything and now directs. I predict people will like it, it will make a lot of money and win awards, then people will turn on it because it's too mainstream.

5 minutes ago, BigSqwert said:

Entertaining but man they could have picked up the pace a bit. What's with arthouse horror being so damn slow?

That’s odd cuz all I’ve heard is how insane and violent it is. It’s not playing near me so I’d have to redbox it in the future

5 minutes ago, Brian said:

That’s odd cuz all I’ve heard is how insane and violent it is. It’s not playing near me so I’d have to redbox it in the future

It's on VOD. Watched it on Amazon streaming.

And it is definitely insane and violent.

Edited by BigSqwert

FIRST MAN is well done, but, for my money, still prefer Hidden Figures and Gravity.

This movie's getting criticized on the right and the left of the political spectrum...so it must be doing something right.  It's not a feel good story, it's more about "stoic heroism" and really tries to give you an accurate feel for what the 1960's pioneering astronauts went through on the way to the moon landing.

That said, it probably will end up as one of the 10 Best Picture nominees, slotting in somewhere between 7-10.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not quite understanding what's appealing about Claire Foy.   Maybe her t.v. work is much different?

At any rate, kudos to the up-and-coming director for pulling off something so different from Whiplash and La La Land.

I just saw Halloween and it was a frustrating experience. I thought the movie was good as a whole but there’s some really bad moments and choices made that stop it from being great.

There’s a scene where one of the characters looks directly at the camera and gives their entire backstory. Towards the end of the film, there’s a reveal about one of the characters that’s really cool but it’s almost immediately brushed aside. And there’s a lot of forced comedy. 

Jamie Lee Curtis is fantastic and it’s a shame that the movie didn’t focus on her more. The movies cuts to a lot of side stuff, a lot of which doesn’t amount to anything in the end. The actress who played the granddaughter was pretty good. 

I really wish the entire movie had the same amount of tension and atmosphere as the last 20 minutes, which was phenomenal. 

Ill hold off on spoilerly stuff. 

On 10/18/2018 at 5:53 PM, caulfield12 said:

FIRST MAN is well done, but, for my money, still prefer Hidden Figures and Gravity....It's not a feel good story, it's more about "stoic heroism" and really tries to give you an accurate feel for what the 1960's pioneering astronauts went through on the way to the moon landing.

I agree. Well done, but there is no triumphant moment. Even the moon landing, which was an iffy proposition, just sort of happened in the movie. The suspenseful scenes had no moment where you exhaled - no payoff.

That said, it's amazing that our space program was sending people to the space in aluminum cans with a roll of duct tape and twine in case of emergency. 

That is, if we actually ever did go to space...

6 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

I agree. Well done, but there is no triumphant moment. Even the moon landing, which was an iffy proposition, just sort of happened in the movie. The suspenseful scenes had no moment where you exhaled - no payoff.

That said, it's amazing that our space program was sending people to the space in aluminum cans with a roll of duct tape and twine in case of emergency. 

That is, if we actually ever did go to space...

It was a bit strange they made the deliberate decision not to feature the planting of the flag...nonetheless, the movie was nothing, if not patriotic.