2018 Films thread

Kyyle23

• 1 month later...

Another DC Comics dud.

Saw Aquaman today in China.  Think it will end up in the 30’s or 40’s at RT when reviews eventually trickle in.

Venom, for a movie at just 29% when I watched it, was MUCH more entertaining.   In fact, it has already grossed about $300 million in China alone (note, only $75 million of that goes back to the U.S.)

The visuals for Aquaman were great, Momoa was fine, but Amber Heard and Patrick Wilson were really miscast.  

On 11/5/2018 at 6:55 AM, knightni said:

People who like Holiday traditional stories are going to dislike the new Nutcracker movie.

Totally diverges away from the original in a way that Inglorious Basterds diverged from World Ward II documentaries.

It was awful.  It seemed like it was trying to go for the Chronicles of Narnia type of feel, and absolutely failed.  It was recycled garbage.

2 hours ago, Brian said:

"Green Book" was pretty good. Tony was a tad over the top at times but didn't hinder anything.

Is it good enough for a Best Picture nomination?

Feels like it will forever be compared to Driving Miss Daisy, there’s lot of PC crowd talk about the story being one of “white redemption” versus from Ali’s perspective (like Sam Rockwell’s win as the deputy)...and Mortenson hasn’t helped matters by using the N word on the publicity tour.

Feels a year when The Favourite or Vice, because of a political subject could win...can’t remember such a weak class of films at this late stage in the year.

https://www.oddschecker.com/awards/oscars/best-picture

Out of the Top 15 here, have only seen 3...granted, quite a few still haven’t been released. And I’m not sure I can stomach Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga winning everything for A Star is Born.

Fwiw, have Tully next on the viewing list.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Is it good enough for a Best Picture nomination?

Feels like it will forever be compared to Driving Miss Daisy, there’s lot of PC crowd talk about the story being one of “white redemption” versus from Ali’s perspective (like Sam Rockwell’s win as the deputy)...and Mortenson hasn’t helped matters by using the N word on the publicity tour.

Feels a year when The Favourite or Vice, because of a political subject could win...can’t remember such a weak class of films at this late stage in the year.

https://www.oddschecker.com/awards/oscars/best-picture

Out of the Top 15 here, have only seen 3...granted, quite a few still haven’t been released. And I’m not sure I can stomach Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga winning everything for A Star is Born.

Fwiw, have Tully next on the viewing list.

I don’t get to see as much as I used to so no clue about best pic nom. I didn’t even realize it was Viggo Mortenson most of the movie.

I think we’re going to see interesting nominations this awards season finally. Black Panther could get nods. 

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I take back my comment about A Star is Born.

Really powerful film, pretty darned impressive accomplishment for first-time director and completely reinventing the image of a cultural icon in a genuine and authentic way.

I said when it came out that it'll probably be good but people will hate on it when it became popular for no reason. 

I liked it, didn't love it. Cooper can really do it all.

Bumblebee is definitely the best film in the Transformers franchise (low bar, there) and a good family film for the holidays, similar to the first one in many ways.  It’s also the first one without Bay directing.

Mortal Engines is quite a bit better than the reviews.  Far from great, but if you like dystopian visions of the future with lots of imaginative cinematography, this is not a bad watch at all.

On 12/9/2018 at 2:17 AM, caulfield12 said:

I take back my comment about A Star is Born.

Really powerful film, pretty darned impressive accomplishment for first-time director and completely reinventing the image of a cultural icon in a genuine and authentic way.

I went with my wife and I had no idea it was a sad movie.  Jesus christ.  I dont know how you cant tear up a little after that one.  Lady Gaga is incredible.  I believe she deserves the Oscar

We went to bohemian rhapsody last weekend and it was awesome, but the best part was ASIB let out at the same time and watching everyone cry walking out was hilarious.  Large grown men bawling.  

19 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you’re into thrillers, Searching is both excellent & unique in its presentation.

It doesn't quite have a final 15 minutes to fit the rest of the film, but still one of the ten best watches of the year, overall.   And talk about a relatively low budget.