2018 Video Game thread

Kyyle23

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/7/2018 at 7:26 PM, danman31 said:

Spider-man anyone? I just got started this afternoon (got to play for less than an hour). I'm excited to get into this.

I played for a bit. I was busy all weekend and the beginning of this week. I just installed it and messed around for about 10 minutes. Feels so much like the Batman Arkham games (the combat style especially). Not that that is a bad thing by any means.

• 2 weeks later...

IGN's exclusives on RDR2 have been great. I can't believe how much detail the game has. Over 200 different species of animal! And all react uniquely and differently. Pretty cool how predators can pick up on your scent depending on which way the wind is blowing, and they will hunt YOU. 

Also.... this..... LMAO

It's kinda cool that they are adding little details like this but I'm worried that having to routinely take care of all these mundane chores like eating, shaving, brushing your horse, sleeping, etc... is going to get in the way of the actual game-play.

I remember games like Bully where you were forced to go back to your dorm room at a certain time or else your character would literally pass out and then likely get robbed. Or San Andreas where you always had to remember to eat and work out or else your character would lose strength and health.

Or some of the other GTA games where the NPCs were constantly calling you to hang out and you had to keep up friendship levels with them.

I think there's a fine line on how realistic games should be in regards to requiring everyday activities to be done. Otherwise it just turns into the Sims.

All that said, I'm really looking forward to this game. excited.gif

2 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

It's kinda cool that they are adding little details like this but I'm worried that having to routinely take care of all these mundane chores like eating, shaving, brushing your horse, sleeping, etc... is going to get in the way of the actual game-play.

I remember games like Bully where you were forced to go back to your dorm room at a certain time or else your character would literally pass out and then likely get robbed. Or San Andreas where you always had to remember to eat and work out or else your character would lose strength and health.

Or some of the other GTA games where the NPCs were constantly calling you to hang out and you had to keep up friendship levels with them.

I think there's a fine line on how realistic games should be in regards to requiring everyday activities to be done. Otherwise it just turns into the Sims.

All that said, I'm really looking forward to this game. excited.gif

I completely agree. The thing that worries me is having to maintain a relationship with my horse, and then having to actually protect my horse during battle so it doesn't die and then I have to start all over. 

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I completely agree. The thing that worries me is having to maintain a relationship with my horse, and then having to actually protect my horse during battle so it doesn't die and then I have to start all over. 

I accidentally killed my horse so many times in RDR.  :(

• 2 weeks later...

Three thoughts:

1. If you have a 4k HDR-capable TV and the green to spring for it, Xbox One X is totally worth the money (I sold my old console). The difference is pretty dramatic especially on first-party games. The difference on PS4 Pro is noticeable, but less so. (I also have a GTX 1070 on my PC... yeah I have a problem. Leave me alone.)

2. The fact that Forza Horizon 4, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Assassin's Creed Odyssey come out within a month of another is just plain rude. And Spider-Man JUST came out a month ago and I still have yet to play Detroit: Become Human. Upside: Sony will put those games on sale in a few weeks and I can get them at a discount.

3. I just finished the Uncharted remastered trilogy, then I jumped into Uncharted 4. The graphics in the first 3 games was nice but there's a HUGE jump in the quality of visuals on the 4th game.

• 2 weeks later...

So uhh just in here to complain about sports games and their yearly releases providing nothing of new value.

I got excited today thinking about MLB The Show 19, but then realized that their franchise mode has been so stagnant and that there's so many obvious errors that it's clear that they just don't care about it. Sigh. 

3 hours ago, bmags said:

So how is red dead redemption?

Loving it so far. It's got a pretty long intro and it's a couple of hours before it releases you into the world compared to the first game, and I haven't gotten a chance to play with all that yet. I have the Xbox One X version and the 4K HDR looks astounding (not as good as what the PC version will look like when they release that, but incredible for a console).

2 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

So uhh just in here to complain about sports games and their yearly releases providing nothing of new value.

I got excited today thinking about MLB The Show 19, but then realized that their franchise mode has been so stagnant and that there's so many obvious errors that it's clear that they just don't care about it. Sigh. 

I picked up The Show 17 for like 10 bucks last week, cuz I don't see the point in getting the most current versions anymore.

6 hours ago, bmags said:

So how is red dead redemption?

I'm only 1 hour in, and so far it's just tutorial type missions. No open world for me yet. And there seems to be a LOT of gameplay mechanics to remember. 

I can already tell the "make sure you eat or else your guy will be weak!" aspect of the game is going to be annoying. I understand the need to provide food for the camp, but having to make my guy open his satchel and eat a can of beans so I can finish a mission seems like it's going to be lame.

I'll be putting in a couple of more hours tonight though.

5 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

The Show 18 is the first time I haven't bought a baseball game in maybe 16 years. Like you said, they just don't change enough from year to year. Yes, they are still very good and very polished, but I will likely be buying it every OTHER year now unless some big advancements take place. Really wish 2K or someone else would make games to push SCEA to have to actually compete for our dollars.

22 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I'm only 1 hour in, and so far it's just tutorial type missions. No open world for me yet. And there seems to be a LOT of gameplay mechanics to remember. 

I can already tell the "make sure you eat or else your guy will be weak!" aspect of the game is going to be annoying. I understand the need to provide food for the camp, but having to make my guy open his satchel and eat a can of beans so I can finish a mission seems like it's going to be lame.

I'll be putting in a couple of more hours tonight though.

The gameplay is the same as the first game (not fond of the "repeatedly press A to sprint" thing Rockstar likes doing for some reason). I haven't figured out the food and water thing yet, like I have no idea what I'm looking at until it starts blinking red and my health starts going down.

It just infuriates me that the creators of MLB the show can't simply add things like:

Create your own team (i.e. like in NFL Madden be able to be like "London" or something). More in-depth statistics like season based statistics (the ones in MLB the show 17 were EXTREMELY limited). More in-depth team statistics that are easier to look at. Better trade functionality (no more limit of 3 only and add in salary to trades). Better contract negotiation ability (currently you need to do your contracts only during the off season, what a joke!).

There's more and more, but these are not very difficult to add in and shouldn't be too demanding for the game. It's something that I'd imagine would take a few days of coding and it'd look and be awesome. 

I was thinking about this again today..

I want to be able to start a franchise as an expansion team from potential lists of cities with different budgets attached to them.

I want to be able to take a stadium, either one that I create (significantly more work for the developers) or from a list of past or randomly generated stadiums, I don't care!

I want to have a more dynamic free agency and salary negotiations with players as stated in this thread already. I want to have the trade options expanded (so more than 3 players, have salary be possible to trade, draft picks etc.).

I want more statistics available in the league leaders and most importantly I want more historical statistics attached to my team and league. In the 2017 version of the show, you could only look back at the last 3 years worth of MVP's, etc. I want to be able to look back more.

Ugh! Just such simple things, albeit they might take a lot of data since I'm asking them to hold more statistics in, but the other things aren't that hard at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2018 at 9:43 PM, lostfan said:

The gameplay is the same as the first game (not fond of the "repeatedly press A to sprint" thing Rockstar likes doing for some reason). I haven't figured out the food and water thing yet, like I have no idea what I'm looking at until it starts blinking red and my health starts going down.

I saw this on Kokaku, which may help the running aspect for you...

Experiment with the controls.

In the “controls” part of the settings menu, you can change a few things. Everyone will have their own preferences, but experiment with “Standard FPS” for first-person controls, which moves a few things around and, crucially, turns sprinting into a familiar toggle of the left thumbstick. Also mess around with “Running Mode,” since you can switch between holding a button to run or tapping it. I also recommend lowering the “Aim/Look Dead Zone” to zero under both first-and third-person controls.

Full link:  https://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-red-dead-redemption-2-1830016535

• Thanks 1

Sorry SoxBadger, can't help on the S vs. X. I'd get the better one if the price is anywhere close, tho... 'cause, why not? I've heard good things.

Anyone here have Fortnite on XBOX? I'm a big time player and while I'm not some super deluxe builder type pro, I've got my fair share of wins... something like 175+ Squad wins, 20 duos and 30 solos with a *real* k/d ratio around 1.0 which I consider to be slightly above average but not great. https://fortnitetracker.com/profile/xbox/iWin4Prep

If anyone here plays fortnite on XBOX I wouldn't mind teaming up with them from time to time to play some duos or they can be part of my squads games which we tend to do really well.