2018 Video Game thread

Kyyle23

2 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

I've been that way for a few years but for different reasons. Before I got Spider-Man in October, the only games I had really been playing with any regularity was MLB the Show 16 and the Uncharted games.  Now I'm on RDR2 and still have South Park Fractured But Whole and Kingdom Hearts: The Story so Far sitting on my shelf waiting.

The only thing I'm looking forward to right now is Kingdom Hearts 3, which I probably won't get until towards the end of the year. 

I remember going to a store when I was a kid and looking at all the games and getting excited about playing all of them. Now I'll go and look and I don't even recognize half the titles.

Don't even get me started on the list of games I need to play sitting at home lol

On 1/27/2019 at 12:18 AM, soxfan2014 said:

I'm 27 and I feel that way. I just can't get into many new games anymore. I barely touch my PS4 at all. Although I did start and beat the RE2 remake today. It was the perfect day for it.

I had a spell in my mid to late 20s like that as well. Didn't own a PS4 or any next-gen console. PS3 gathered dust. Sparingly, I used my PC for a game now and then. 

I must be honest, the past few years since its launch I did play a fair amount of Pokemon Go. I guess that counts as a game. But now I am 31, got a Switch on launch day and intended to re-sell it on eBay. Instead, I kept it and played the crap out of Zelda. Next thing I know I've got a PS4 and some games for that as well, and I am back to gaming. My attention span and time available for it isn't as great as my younger days, but when there's time (like today), it's enjoyable.

I definitely try to stay away from accumulating a queue of titles. My friend has that problem and I feel bad for him. By the time he touches a game he spent $60 on, it's $30 or less. If I buy a brand new titles, I am in on it til I am sick of it. Then I get a few games for cheap on the side incase there's nothing new for me to play. I have Last of Us and Final Fantasy in my queue. 

• Like 1

So I've been watching walk-through videos of RDR2 because I don't really care about spoilers and I want some sort of an idea of what's coming when I play the missions and came across this. Rockstar really knocked this out of the park. It's not even the end of the game but it's coming close. The feels though... 😢

Very minor spoilers for the storyline of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbetfW2h4Eo

There's even one point where you try to call your horse (which you've literally bonded with through out the game) and a little message comes up that says "Your horse is lost." cry.gif

On 1/26/2019 at 9:04 AM, joesaiditstrue said:

Also, anybody here in their 30s/40s that have a hard time getting into games anymore?  I feel like games make you sit through an hour of dialogue/cinematics before they give you control of your character/your game

I find myself playing pretty much the same two games because i just cant get into games anymore

I did manage to sit through the beginning of farcry 5, and i enjoyed it for the most part (im at the end now, haven't played much of the DLCs yet)

Definitely. It's a cost-benefit analysis and unfortunately, I just don't have as much time for games these days.

I miss playing them for hours on end, but if I do that these days, then I feel like a failure as I have other goals to get to.

I basically play one game at a time. Last year (2018) it was all Fortnite. I quit that game as one of my resolutions in 2019. This month (January) I played a lot of Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge (very old game). February I'm planning to finish Ni No Kuni II and then March and beyond I plan to finish up Kingdom Hearts 3. 

• Like 2

On 1/23/2019 at 4:01 PM, Jenksismyhero said:

That's been my beef with the recent trend of open world games. I used to love Assassins Creed, but the last two games were too big. There's just too much stuff to do and most of it is not different, there's just more of it. Everything becomes too repetitive. Luckily they allow you to play the game as you want (e.g., without doing all the side stuff) so you don't get burned out, but my gaming OCD kicks in and I feel bad for not exploring every inch of the map or not clearing/discovering every area that you can. 

I almost prefer the simplicity of Nintendo games and/or movie-like games like Uncharted these days. 

I agree regarding the Assassin's Creed games. They are fun, but way too big and not varied enough to make it worth it. I end up burning out multiple times before I finish the game.

On 1/24/2019 at 7:26 AM, soxfan2014 said:

Uncharted series, Last of Us (2nd one coming this year), and Days Gone (supposedly April) are good options as well.

Days Gone is an open world I'm pretty sure.

On 1/31/2019 at 8:50 PM, iWiN4PreP said:

This month (January) I played a lot of Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge (very old game)

Wow. Very nice. I was a big player of the Command and Conquer series. Red Alert was my jam as a kid. Red Alert 2 was also amazing. Good memories.

You ever play Supreme Commander? My buddies recently got me into that one. 

Edited by South Sider

12 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Wow. Very nice. I was a big player of the Command and Conquer series. Red Alert was my jam as a kid. Red Alert 2 was also amazing. Good memories.

You ever play Supreme Commander? My buddies recently got me into that one. 

No -- never played Supreme Commander... but Ra2/YR was an extreme addiction for me.

I'm talking, this game has been about 18 years and I still play it... back when it first came out  I played 21 hours per day every day during summer break. 

If you are ever interested in playing Ra2/YR again there is actually a decent sized community that continues to play at www.cncnet.org

52 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

No -- never played Supreme Commander... but Ra2/YR was an extreme addiction for me.

I'm talking, this game has been about 18 years and I still play it... back when it first came out  I played 21 hours per day every day during summer break. 

If you are ever interested in playing Ra2/YR again there is actually a decent sized community that continues to play at www.cncnet.org

Sliding that link into my bookmarks.

You sent me down a little rabbit hole just now. Did you hear that they are remastering C&C and Red Alert 1, with original Westwood devs? Could be a good sign for a remastered RA2 down the road too... 

1 hour ago, South Sider said:

Sliding that link into my bookmarks.

You sent me down a little rabbit hole just now. Did you hear that they are remastering C&C and Red Alert 1, with original Westwood devs? Could be a good sign for a remastered RA2 down the road too... 

Yup -- the people behind that project were posting on the CNCNet forums and the reddit CNC section asking for help/suggestions on what to do...

unfortunately they decided not to do ra2/yr at the time. Hopefully in the future they will.

But the game is free 2 play if you find the correct download links :p. It doesn't work well with newer operating systems tho.