Jump to content
Kyyle23

2018 Video Game thread

Recommended Posts

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 12:49 PM)
I watched my buddy play for about an hour, and it kind of seemed the gun for hire system was TOO good. He rescued a guy and hired him to help and that dude took out an entire outpost by himself. And then he got Boomer the dog and Boomer did the same.

I literally just started the game, but from what I’ve seen in previews that could definitely be a problem. I guess you could probably avoid using the gun for hire system if it becomes too easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 01:25 PM)
I literally just started the game, but from what I’ve seen in previews that could definitely be a problem. I guess you could probably avoid using the gun for hire system if it becomes too easy.

 

Right, it's easy to avoid, and I probably will avoid it until I face some impossible situations without it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 01:18 PM)
I've never seen gameplay footage of Far Cry and know absolutely nothing about it. Maybe these are games I should look into.

 

It's one of my favorite franchises. Far Cry 3 was one of my favorite games of all time and that villian is widely considered one of the best video game villians to date.

 

Far Cry 4 was decent, I just didn't like the location. Primal I never played and was never interested in. Seemed like a glorified DLC. Which, speaking of DLC, the Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon DLC is amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 11:36 PM)
It's one of my favorite franchises. Far Cry 3 was one of my favorite games of all time and that villian is widely considered one of the best video game villians to date.

 

Far Cry 4 was decent, I just didn't like the location. Primal I never played and was never interested in. Seemed like a glorified DLC. Which, speaking of DLC, the Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon DLC is amazing.

If you like Far Cry 3 then make sure to get the Far Cry 5 season pass because it comes with a free download of Far Cry 3 Remastered plus three new crazy campaigns (zombies, Vietnam, Mars).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 31, 2018 -> 06:25 AM)
If you like Far Cry 3 then make sure to get the Far Cry 5 season pass because it comes with a free download of Far Cry 3 Remastered plus three new crazy campaigns (zombies, Vietnam, Mars).

 

Yeah, I'm going to strongly consider it based on the reviews of the 3 new stories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 02:39 AM)
FC5 is a ton of fun, as expected.

Yeah, it’s pretty f***ing awesome. A little too easy with certain buddies, but obviously you can avoid using them.

 

And God of War is getting tremendous scores including a 10 from IGN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so anyone interested in the supposed best game ever? God of War has a ton of perfect reviews...I could do with a new 40 hour game. Been hovering between F1, MLB the Show, and Ghost Recon Wildlands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
QUOTE (onedude @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 09:03 PM)
so anyone interested in the supposed best game ever? God of War has a ton of perfect reviews...I could do with a new 40 hour game. Been hovering between F1, MLB the Show, and Ghost Recon Wildlands.

I pre-ordered it. It will be my next game after Far Cary 5. Will have to see if it can live up to the hype.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't gotten through God of War yet (it's too meaty to beat in a week unless you're treating it like a job), but man is that game good. I never played a God of War game before this and to be honest it never interested me. The trailers on this one had me sold and the reviews meant it lived up to the hype they built for it. It's every bit as good as the reviews.

The game is crazy addictive. I find it hard to pick a place to stop at times because there's always a little more to explore. I'm surprised how much of an open world game it is. It's more the style of the Tomb Raider reboots than a true open world, but there's a lot of stuff to explore and unlockable areas as you gain abilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking of getting my soon to be 7-year-old daughter an Xbox for her birthday. She loves playing minecraft with friends. I have never used an Xbox.  Does it require a monthly subscription?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BigSqwert said:

Thinking of getting my soon to be 7-year-old daughter an Xbox for her birthday. She loves playing minecraft with friends. I have never used an Xbox.  Does it require a monthly subscription?  

If she wants to play online with her friends she will need a subscription. If she is just playing by herself offline, she won't.

I just got my first XBox this past December (I have been a PlayStation guy and still mostly am, but wanted a few exclusive games like Forza Horizon and Halo). I haven't signed up for an online subscription. You can use all the streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) and the 4K Blu Ray player (which was another reason to get me to buy one) without signing up for XBox Live, but online play in games is when you need a subscription.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2018 at 2:20 AM, danman31 said:

I haven't gotten through God of War yet (it's too meaty to beat in a week unless you're treating it like a job), but man is that game good. I never played a God of War game before this and to be honest it never interested me. The trailers on this one had me sold and the reviews meant it lived up to the hype they built for it. It's every bit as good as the reviews.

The game is crazy addictive. I find it hard to pick a place to stop at times because there's always a little more to explore. I'm surprised how much of an open world game it is. It's more the style of the Tomb Raider reboots than a true open world, but there's a lot of stuff to explore and unlockable areas as you gain abilities.

The key there is that from the moment you start a new game to the moment you beat the game, it's one continuous shot (unless you die or hit pause of course). That really adds to the "oh I can just play 5 more minutes and do this next thing!" feel.

I'm only a few hours in but it's everything I wanted it to be. Awesome world, great combat, easy controls, lots of upgrading/customizing weapons and armor. Good stuff all around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So @Kalapse, thoughts on Fallout 76? I'm really not sure I like the online component here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony said:

So @Kalapse, thoughts on Fallout 76? I'm really not sure I like the online component here. 

Didn't have a lot of interest in Rust of DayZ so probably won't play this. Pretty disappointed in the announcement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Anyone play Fortnite on the Switch yet?

I tried but couldn't get into it. Far too confusing for this old man, despite my many years of playing video games.  I don't think it's very playable on the small screen either. Maybe while docked it would be ok. 

My gaming group tried State of Decay 2 last night. What a huge disappointment. The game looks/feels like it's from the 360/ps3 generation, had constant bugs and connectivity issues, and the co-op multiplayer is run from one single player's game, not a collective game. That meant that the person that started the game had to complete all the quests (so if you had to go pick up X item and place it back in your house, the group could go kill whatever zombie had the item and pick it up, but then they had to drop the item so that the main player could "turn it in." So dumb. 

I wish Valve would make another left 4 dead game. Not the battle royal crap, just a solid group/team kind of game. That's totally missing from the marketplace right now. Sea of Thieves could have been that, but there's just not enough variety and it's painfully repetitive.

Edited by Jenksismyhero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played.  Then my son played, and I don’t think I will ever get a chance again

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished Far Cry 5. Really solid game, and I liked it much better than Far Cry 4, although I've never been disappointed in any version of that franchise (admittedly, I refuse to pay money for FC: Primal). 

 

I just started Detroit: Become Human and fuck is it beautiful. I don't even have a PS4 Pro, and yet it's still the best looking game I've ever played. Watchdogs 2 was probably the bar before this one.

 

If you've played Heavy Rain, the goofy controls are still there, but I just adore the "choose your own adventure" storytelling that Quantic Dreams does. My girlfriend was super in to the first mission of the game. I let her make all the decisions, and she ended up saving the hostage's life (Played as a hostage negotiator/detective). So she was thrilled to "win" and wants to keep playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still interested to hear if anyone on Soxtalk plays Fortnite on XBOX.

 

Plus, let's get some more talk going -- what games are we playing these days? I really want to get Ni No Kuni II for the ps4, but i'm just too addicted to fortnite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Plus, let's get some more talk going -- what games are we playing these days? I really want to get Ni No Kuni II for the ps4, but i'm just too addicted to fortnite.

Detroit: Become Human

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2018 at 2:23 AM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I just started Detroit: Become Human and fuck is it beautiful. I don't even have a PS4 Pro, and yet it's still the best looking game I've ever played. Watchdogs 2 was probably the bar before this one.

Detroit was solid. I think a lot of the talk around it has been somewhat negative, which is a bit harsh. The story does fall apart in places, but it's still enjoyable. Unfortunately, the best part of the game is the first part, which they demoed the hell out of. I was more or less happy with my ending so I didn't feel compelled to replay the whole game, but I did replay a few parts towards the end to see what would happen. Some of the plot lines get more and more absurd. I guess it depends on how it played out for you.

If Watchdogs 2 was your previous bar for best looking games, there's plenty of stuff that tops that. Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Uncharted 4. I'd probably even include Assassin's Creed: Origins in that list. Then you've got amazing racing games that are starting to create legitimately photo realistic cars (Driveclub, Gran Turismo Sport, anything Forza).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, danman31 said:

Detroit was solid. I think a lot of the talk around it has been somewhat negative, which is a bit harsh. The story does fall apart in places, but it's still enjoyable. Unfortunately, the best part of the game is the first part, which they demoed the hell out of. I was more or less happy with my ending so I didn't feel compelled to replay the whole game, but I did replay a few parts towards the end to see what would happen. Some of the plot lines get more and more absurd. I guess it depends on how it played out for you.

If Watchdogs 2 was your previous bar for best looking games, there's plenty of stuff that tops that. Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Uncharted 4. I'd probably even include Assassin's Creed: Origins in that list. Then you've got amazing racing games that are starting to create legitimately photo realistic cars (Driveclub, Gran Turismo Sport, anything Forza).

I haven't played any of those, but the Uncharted series is something I might jump in to at some point. Yeah, racing games always look awesome, but those games always reek havoc on my eyes for whatever reason. It's hard for me to play those in any substantial chunks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×