2018 Watercooler thread

Kyyle23

34 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

My wife loves it and I just can't stand it. One, because it's just depressing as shit, and two, the whole premise of the show is too unrealistic/unbelievable for me. In a fictionalized near-future world I need to be able to believe that people act/think logically and they just don't in that show. 

Yeah, it's definitely a stretch in credibility but I consider it sci-fi so I let it pass.

On 6/1/2018 at 12:14 PM, Harry Chappas said:

I'm on S5E8 of the Americans.....that show is intoxicating. 

Ok, so I bailed on the American after season 1 for the show just seeming overly proposterous. Basically the whole Clark/Martha stuff turned me off. But it looks like I bailed too soon. 

On 6/3/2018 at 11:31 AM, Brian said:

I’m not a huge fan of Arrested Development. I’ve seen all the eps and enjoy it but would suck at a trivia night.

Maybe just me but I’d just let the show go. Not expecting it to get s1 and s2 great but these new eps are just there. Nothing great.

The 6 new eps of Kimmy Schmidt cracked me up. That Tina Fey dialogue is funny to me. The show is just so stupid that it’s hilarious to me.

I'm a huge Arrested Development fan. But you're right, this season sucks.

On 6/7/2018 at 11:43 AM, Brian said:

I don't even know what is going on. I have 3 left and will finish but blah

When I watched, I had no idea they split the season to be released at different times. At the end of the last episode, I was so confused until one of my friends told me what they are doing. Hope its a good pay off at the end.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2018 at 9:26 AM, maggsmaggs said:

Ok, so I bailed on the American after season 1 for the show just seeming overly proposterous. Basically the whole Clark/Martha stuff turned me off. But it looks like I bailed too soon. 

I made it a few seasons watching The Americans and stopped. The "disguises" were so preposterous, but I think I just lost interest overall.

I'm binging Broadchurch now. Three seasons of eight 45 minute episodes. I recommend it to anyone looking for some summer programming.

On 6/1/2018 at 10:48 AM, flavum said:

I like season 2, but the first season was better, in my opinion. This season seems to be mostly about over-the-top shock value...like You’re the Worst, which I also like. 

First season definitely better. Second season wasn't bad, just first season was so much more entertaining.

1 hour ago, TheTruth05 said:

That escape episode with the woman was ridiculous.

We had to debate whether we wanted to finish the season with the last episode. What a waste. I didn't realize David E Kelley was off the show prior or we may not have bothered.

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

We had to debate whether we wanted to finish the season with the last episode. What a waste. I didn't realize David E Kelley was off the show prior or we may not have bothered.

Yea Clyde Phillips track record doesn't do much for me so i was hoping the season wouldn't stray off too much from S1,but those last 2 episodes are quite a jump in reality/storytelling lol.

Edited by TheTruth05

1 hour ago, BigSqwert said:

Finally watched the Westworld finale last night.  The season ended quite strongly IMO.

Very confusing and a lot of the emotional moments didn't really work for me (Sizemore for example) but overall it was an ok to good season and i'm still excited to see what happens next.

I don't really understand the hate that a lot of people have for the show. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Tony said:

Anyone watch Ep 1 of Sharper Objects? Little too all over the place for me..

Yeah I liked it but agree at some points it was hard to tell what you were actually watching.

I think shows like that sometimes are hard to introduce because you don't want to give up surprises the first episode.

31 minutes ago, Tony said:

Right, it needs to hook you, keep you watching, but also not spoil too much. 

It was just trying to do a little too much for me all at once. I’ll give it another week, see where it goes.

I'm pretty sure I saw some preview so I had an overall idea where it was going. But it didnt introduce that part until less than 5 minutes left. So for most of the show I was second guessing if I really did see a preview.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/07/att-wants-to-overhaul-hbo-says-it-isnt-profitable-enough/

AT&T has been the proud owner of HBO for less than a month, and it is already considering an overhaul that would see HBO produce more video that can compete for the attention of smartphone users. AT&T wants to boost revenue both in advertising and subscriptions, even if that means upending HBO's longtime strategy of producing a relatively small number of high-quality shows.

John Stankey, an AT&T executive who is now CEO of the company's WarnerMedia division, formed after last month's acquisition of Time Warner Inc., described his vision in an hourlong "town hall meeting" with 150 employees. Audio of the meeting was obtained by The New York Times.

"It's going to be a tough year," Stankey said, according to the Times article. "It's going to be a lot of work to alter and change direction a little bit.

Yea, that just sounds like trying to stretch out quantity at the expense of quality.  HBO is by no means perfect, they have had some duds, but you need to let them create their programming the way they choose.  When they get it right they knock it out of the park

I think it's a smart move. You can keep the prestige side while also making money on shorter, cheaper streaming content. I think they're rightly concerned about Netflix, Amazon and Hulu cranking out shows and being left behind once the GoT behemoth is over. 

I really struggle to find stuff that keeps my interested for very long in terms of series.  I really enjoyed The Sinner tho.  Only 8 episodes...so it was perfect.  Got renewed and starts up again this Aug.

On a side note...new season of Ozark starts August 31....FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

Well then

Paramount Television President Amy Powell has been fired after making inappropriate comments, the movie and TV studio’s Chief Executive Jim Gianopulos told staff Thursday.

The alleged incident occurred during a call to discuss “The First Wives Club,” a series adaptation of the 1996 Paramount film of the same name. The project’s showrunner is Tracy Oliver, who wrote the Universal Pictures hit “Girls Trip,” about a group of black friends reconnecting at Essence Fest in New Orleans. Her version of “The First Wives Club” is expected to feature a predominantly black cast.

During the call, Powell made offensive remarks stereotyping black people in a lengthy rant, the person familiar with the matter said. Powell's alleged comments included remarks about black women being angry and African American children being raised by single parents.